What's new

Happy Days: The Complete Series: The Ultimate Edition? (1 Viewer)

classictvfan91

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Hayden
To CBS Home Entertainment:
Can you release a Complete Series box set of "Happy Days" (1974-1984)?
All 255 episodes should be digitally remastered in high definition (1080p), and they should be unedited.
The original Paramount Television logos should be included at the end of the episodes.
All the 1950s/1960s music that was used in the series should be cleared, so the episodes can be unaltered.
Garry Marshall wants all the original music to be included.
The episodes that originally aired after "Passages" (the final episode) should be included before it in the DVD set.
Bonus features, new and old, should be included in the set, including TV spots (from ABC, syndication, Nick at Nite, TV Land, and WGN), commercials with the cast, a PSA with the cast about leukemia, mistakes in the episodes, unreleased bloopers, cast interviews, audio/text commentaries, photo galleries, documentaries (including TVography: Happy Days (2001), Entertainment Tonight in TV Land: Secrets of Happy Days (1999), Biography: Happy Days (2003), Henry Winkler Meets William Shakespeare (1977), the Biographies of Henry Winkler (2000), Ron Howard (1999/2008), and Scott Baio (2008), and all-new documentaries), text biographies of the cast, reunion specials (1992/2005), lists of music and guest stars in the episodes, production notes (noting inside jokes, pop culture references, and behind-the-scenes information), both versions of the pilot (New Family in Town (1971), and Love and the Happy Days (1972)), episodes of Laverne and Shirley (and the Mork and Mindy pilot) with characters from Happy Days, Henry Winkler's home movies from the series, scripts from the series in .PDF format, memorabilia from the series, and other things should be included.
Easter Eggs (hidden bonus features) should be included in the set.
Here are some extra bonus features for this set:
Sitcom: The Adventures of Garry Marshall (1979)
The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang (animated series, 1980-1981)
Joanie Loves Chachi (1982-1983)
Pyramid: Marion Ross and Erin Moran (2004)
TV Land Moguls: The 1970s: Part II (2004, including Garry Marshall and Happy Days)
Moving Image Salutes Ron Howard (2006)
Tom Bosley on Match Game (1975)
The Mike Douglas Show with Ron Howard, Henry Winkler, Don Most, and Anson Williams (September 1974)
Boy Meets World: I Was A Teenage Spy (1996)
Strong Kids, Safe Kids (1984)
Weezer: Buddy Holly (1994)
An extensive clip of Tom Bosley as "Fiorello" should be included.
Tributes to Tom Bosley from several news shows should be included.
Animated (interactive) menus with the theme song should be included.
Scene selection menus, chapter stops, and a "Play All" option should be included with all the episodes.
English subtitles should be included with the episodes and special features.
The alternate introductions for "Guess Who's Coming to Christmas", one with Arnold (Pat Morita), and the other with Al (Al Molinaro), should be included.
Both endings for "Shotgun Wedding: Part 1" should be included.
The scene with "The Andy Griffith Show" should be included in the "My Favorite Orkan" episode.
Both endings for the "My Favorite Orkan" episode should be included.
Both endings for the "Love and Marriage" episode should be included.
A collector's book should be included with the set.
Henry Winkler and Paul Brownstein (The Dick Van Dyke Show, Get Smart, The Twilight Zone) should be the producers of the set.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Welcome to the forum Ian.
I am no one of any importance on this forum, and i sure do not want to be harsh in asking this....but...
Do you think you could put a question mark at the end of your thread titles?
So someone doesn't think such a thing is really coming out.
Just my 2 cents, such as it is.
...and you really put a lot of thought into this.

classictvfan91

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Hayden
Yes, you're right, there should be a question mark at the end of this, I did mean to do that, but I forgot.
You're not being harsh, but very nice.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
I wish every DVD set was put together the input from fans that would ensure that the final product
was as close to the originally aired versions as possible. So many classic shows suffer from
ho-hum releases full of compromises. I don't think this is likely to change much for 70s and 80s
TV series are rarely going to be popular enough to get the proper treatment. Time-Life did such
a fantastic job with the 6 million dollar man set, it just makes me more sad for how badly many
of other series been cut up and have disappointed their fans.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Originally Posted by classictvfan91 /t/318233/happy-days-the-complete-series-the-ultimate-edition#post_3894055
Yes, you're right, there should be a question mark at the end of this, I did mean to do that, but I forgot.
You're not being harsh, but very nice.
It's done for you.

Cees

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
derosa said:
I wish every DVD set was put together the input from fans that would ensure that the final product
was as close to the originally aired versions as possible. So many classic shows suffer from
ho-hum releases full of compromises. I don't think this is likely to change much for 70s and 80s
TV series are rarely going to be popular enough to get the proper treatment. Time-Life did such
a fantastic job with the 6 million dollar man set, it just makes me more sad for how badly many
of other series been cut up and have disappointed their fans.
Yeah, except for the fact that the transfers were old transfers that Universal gave them as opposed to them striking new ones. For what they paid for the rights, you would think that could have been part of the deal.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
My question to the thread starter is this - and how much would you be willing to pay? While we are dealing in the pipe dream fantasy world, would you be willing to pay, lets say $750 for such a set? Because the music clearance for one season alone costs over $2M. I think of two possible ways of getting what you seek, either Paramount releasing such a set or you building a time machine and going back in time with a DVD recorder and recording the shows yourself, the second option would be more likely to occur. Another possible method might be to hire a renegade army, like on the A Team, and break into the CBS vaults and swipe all of their original film masters. But expecting a release like that? Not gonna happen on this planet.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Neil Brock said:
I think of two possible ways of getting what you seek, either Paramount releasing such a set or you building a time machine and going back in time with a DVD recorder and recording the shows yourself
What about bringing current state-of-the-art professional broadcasting equipment (like say DVCPRO for example) with you to record the shows at home in the 70s? Could you actually do that?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I don't see why not. Provided the time machine you build is capable of allowing not just a person but electronic equipment as well. If it didn't, then you would have to bring along some currency and have to do your recording on 3/4 inch tape at around $30 for a one hour tape.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure about ABC bumpers. "Be Right Back" ones, maybe.
One thing I was wondering: Most primetime TV shows have (or had, at least) a "be right back" bumper. Sometimes, they would have voiceovers (and some of them would even be voiced by cast members from the show), and some of them would say "*so and so show* will be back in a moment". My question is, were "be right back" bumpers part of the original master tape or original 35mm film reel (depending on whether the show was filmed or videotaped), or were they added in by the network, in the same way they would add sponsorship billboards and network affiliate bumpers?

I would think, and I may be wrong, that the network added them. However, if the cast participated in the voice-overs, it would have been done at the studio. That's what I meant by ABC bumpers. Also, did the network run 35mm or 16mm prints? If it was 16mm, then they probably don't exist on the master reels. For videotaped shows, they probably did because the editing process was a bit more complicated for video back in the day.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I'm sure this unedited, complete series set will be released at any moment - in fantasyland.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
vnisanian2001 said:
I'm not sure about ABC bumpers. "Be Right Back" ones, maybe.
One thing I was wondering: Most primetime TV shows have (or had, at least) a "be right back" bumper. Sometimes, they would have voiceovers (and some of them would even be voiced by cast members from the show), and some of them would say "*so and so show* will be back in a moment". My question is, were "be right back" bumpers part of the original master tape or original 35mm film reel (depending on whether the show was filmed or videotaped), or were they added in by the network, in the same way they would add sponsorship billboards and network affiliate bumpers?
FWIW -- a local station in Chicago was running Mission: Impossible from 16mm in the late 1980s and they would show the "will be right back" bumpers in the middle of a commercial break, like they would have been in the original network run. So in at least that one case, they were there as part of the film print of the episode. At least I assume so.
Bumpers like that should at least be included as extras, if they don't want to have them breaking up the show. I distinctly remember one from Happy Days which showed the show's title with the record on the turntable, and a voice-over by Erin Moran as Joanie saying something like "Happy Days will be right back after these messages...I think." This was even shown during the ABC daytime reruns.

That's what I meant. The 16mm prints would have been the ones sent to stations to broadcast. So they were probably created by the network. They probably aren't on the negatives or masters.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Neil Brock said:
I don't see why not. Provided the time machine you build is capable of allowing not just a person but electronic equipment as well. If it didn't, then you would have to bring along some currency and have to do your recording on 3/4 inch tape at around $30 for a one hour tape.
Now, if you're going back in time for TV Shows, Happy Days would be way low on the list. It would almost be your duty to user your TARDIS to go back and capture things like the lost Doctor Who episodes, the Moon Landing, network broadcasts of Super Bowls 1-3, November 22-24 1963, and all the other lost or wiped stuff.
As for a complete Happy Days set here and now? Honestly, we'll be lucky to see season 5. But, Laverne and Shirley finally got their 5th season announced, so anything is possible.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure why season 5 on dvd is such an impossible dream on dvd. After all the first four seasons had a ton of music replacements. Why would the later season be any more difficult to edit?

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Bryan^H said:
I'm not sure why season 5 on dvd is such an impossible dream on dvd. After all the first four seasons had a ton of music replacements. Why would the later season be any more difficult to edit?
People don't want music replacements. Plain and simple. Hopefully by now, CBS gets that, and actually puts efforts into clearing them.
CBS and Fox: The two laziest companies ever to handle music rights.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
vnisanian2001 said:
People don't want music replacements. Plain and simple. Hopefully by now, CBS gets that, and actually puts efforts into clearing them.
CBS and Fox: The two laziest companies ever to handle music rights.
I don't see how laziness is a factor. Neil realistically appraised the situation earlier in the thread when he said:
Neil Brock said:
...how much would you be willing to pay? While we are dealing in the pipe dream fantasy world, would you be willing to pay, lets say $750 for such a set? Because the music clearance for one season alone costs over $2M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks