What's new

X-men : First Class sequel officially returning (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Good news indeed
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/x-men-first-class-matthew-vaughn-jennifer-lawrence-michael-fassbender-285814
X-Men: First Class successfully relaunched the marquee franchise, and was one of the best reviewed tentpoles of the year, as well as earning $353.6 million worldwide. The sequel should benefit from the attention Michael Fassbender and Jennifer Lawrence have attracted via upcoming projects such as Fassbender’s Prometheus and Lawrence’s starring role in the hotly anticipated adaptation of The Hunger Games.
Should be amazing

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I would love it if Vaughn followed through with his original intention for the opening:
The sequel opens 13 months after the end of "First Class", in Dallas. Lee Harvey Oswald points his gun out the window of the book depository, and fires his Carcano M91/38 bolt-action rifle at the presidential motorcade. Magneto, watching from the grassy knoll, guides the bullets straight into President Kennedy. We see Jackie clutching her husband, covered in his blood, cut to title.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I think it's a good sign when they interviewed Michael Fassbender recently, and asked him if he would be back for this. His answer was essentially, well, I have to be, I signed a contract. He sounded thrilled. THRILLED.
I really can't see Fassbender being that pissed about going back to work for one of the main people responsible for putting him on the scene in such a big way this year. I imagine he'd be, you know -- appreciative. Maybe he's just not overeager to go and look at Zoe Kravitz for ten hours a day? Now that they're quits, and all. I assume that would be pretty awkward.
Regardless, I'm pretty happy Vaughn is back. I think most of the credit for First Class's energy and verve can be laid at his feet. All I really want is more of the same.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If Fassbender's a pro, it shouldn't matter whether he's psyched about making another one or not. I guess we should be glad they locked him down when they had the chance, because he makes a great younger Magneto. I guess we shouldn't count on him past First Class 2 & 3.
Contrast his attitude to Ian McKellan, a bona fide Shakespearean actor, who always had a great appreciation for the role this series played in his film career. I guess Fassbender just hasn't had that humbling moment where the plum roles aren't coming any more. After the success of "Shame" he probably feels like he's got the world at his feet and doesn't want to be burdened with doing the same old thing.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
You're likely right on the money -- but I have to wonder if Fassbender was exhausted with interviews that day when he spouted that off. Was doing some more reading earlier this evening, and pretty much every other interview I found with him that brought up First Class 2 resulted in him enthusiastically spitballing ideas for where they might go with a second (and third) film.
But yeah, either way, I'm very happy about this. First Class and Rise of the Planet of the Apes were, unexpectedly, two of my favorite movies from the past year, and Vaughn was a big reason for the former. With the exception of January Jones, he did a pretty great job with the casting, and he managed to inject some of the "Bond"-magic into a franchise I had begun to stop caring about.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
If Fassbender's a pro, it shouldn't matter whether he's psyched about making another one or not. I guess we should be glad they locked him down when they had the chance, because he makes a great younger Magneto. I guess we shouldn't count on him past First Class 2 & 3.
Contrast his attitude to Ian McKellan, a bona fide Shakespearean actor, who always had a great appreciation for the role this series played in his film career. I guess Fassbender just hasn't had that humbling moment where the plum roles aren't coming any more. After the success of "Shame" he probably feels like he's got the world at his feet and doesn't want to be burdened with doing the same old thing.
See I appreciate when so called "real" actors appreciate their roles...no matter what film or show it is. Contrast this to Ian McDiarmond & Alec Guiness who always talk(ed) about their Star Wars roles as beneath them.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
Matthew Vaughn out as director of Days of Future Past.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/matthew-vaughn-wont-direct-x-men-first-class-2-will-bryan-singer-replace-him/

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Jesus Frickin Christmas! He did that with X3 and look what wound up happening with that... it got Ratner to replace him, and we all know how that turned out.
They say Brian Singer is being considered to take over. He got it off the ground with the first one a did a great job with X2, so hopefully that pans out.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just get Vaughn back! Singer is the wrong choice to direct IMO. Let him produce but someone else needs to be calling the shots on-set. First Class was great! Don't eff it up Fox.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Vaughn seems to have a pattern of leaving projects. He left Thor. He left X3. He actually left First Class before he came back. Now he left Days of Future Past.
The weird thing is that he left to direct another Fox film that is one of Mark Millar's comic adaptations. Mark Millar is supposed to be consulting/guiding Fox's "Marvel" film universe, so it's weird to think Millar took him away from a "Marvel" project to do a Millar project.
Vaughn is staying on as a producer. He didn't do that with Thor or X3, so he still seems to have interest in the movie. He, along with Brian Singer, had a hand in developing the story. Maybe he saw Singer, who is producing, had more passion for this story than he did himself so they agreed to switch roles? We'll probably know soon either way since filming is supposed to start in a few months.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Brian Singer is confirmed to direct! Vaughn stays on as producer.
http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/173425-bryan-singer-officially-set-for-x-men-days-of-future-past

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Brian Singer confirms that Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen are returning in Days of Future Past!
http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/173787-patrick-stewart-and-ian-mckellen-join-x-men-days-of-future-past

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Hugh Jackman is in talks to appear in the film as Wolverine
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/x-men-hugh-jackman-talks-395364

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Wolverine is central to the storyline of the source material; no telling what they will do in the movie. Hoping new and old get a chance to shine. It may be heresy to some, but I sure hope Halle Berry's phone doesn't ring. James Marsden, Famke Janssen? Bring 'em back.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Anna Paquin, Ellen Page and Shawn Ashmore will be returning for Days of Future Past! http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/174667-anna-paquin-ellen-page-and-shawn-ashmore-returning-for-x-men-days-of-future-past

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Thats good news, but I think the one alot of people are waiting to hear about is Marsden. The alternate timeline allows for Cyclops to get a second chance.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
They should definitely bring cyclops back. Even if they weren't playing with timelines he should be brought back. They never showed him die. It was all implied and assumed. They could reasonably come up with any number of ways to say he wasn't dead after all. Here's hoping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks