Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HBO's Luck Season 1

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,053 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted January 30 2012 - 01:16 AM

I'm trying to make heads or tails of this.   I watched last night, admittedly after my "first stringers", and I must be dense.. I just don't quite "get it".   This may turn into something, but it's going to go on the backburner DVR.. I'll have to catch up in batches later in the season, or do a season all at once. 

Still, it's unusual for an HBO show with a cast as big as "Luck" to premiere and get no commentary. 

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,319 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 30 2012 - 01:59 AM

I dig the show so far but it's not for everyone (and I'm sure HBO doesn't expect it to be as big as Games Of Thrones or Boardwalk Empire). I think what I like the most about it is that I feel like I'm seeing a part of the world that I know nothing about. While all the racing terminology means nothing to me, I still can keep up with the story.

I'll have to catch up in batches later in the season, or do a season all at once.

That shouldn't be too hard because from what I read, the season is a whopping 9 episodes.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,053 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted January 30 2012 - 02:20 AM

Perfect!   I'll just save it up for a Saturday/Sunday down the road and go through the whole season.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted January 30 2012 - 10:06 AM

Thought it was just what I expected; excellent. Also predicted to a friend, who also liked it, that it was so good it probably won't last.

Perhaps it helped that I have a lot of faith in David Milch, and that I used to work at a California track.

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 07 2014 - 11:50 AM

Through three episodes so far. It's interesting how such a complex show can be so dull at the same time.

There is way too much esoteric horse racing culture thrown at the viewer with little or no explanation. A bit of that is intriguing; the steady stream of it is just confusing and gets in the way of the plot.

I'll watch the rest, since it's only ten or so episodes, but I hope the storylines get more fleshing out as it goes on.

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users