What's new

Remotes (1 Viewer)

cwwilhelm

Grip
Real Name
Chuck Wilhelm
I need a remote that my wife can use for the HT system, one touch. While my wife is very smart she isn’t very good at moving from TV to DVD to music or changing channels on the TV. I have heard a lot about the Logitech Harmony 900 and other models of the Logitech Harmony remotes currently available?

cwwilhelm

Grip
Real Name
Chuck Wilhelm
Okay different question. What remote are you using and why? If you were to use another which would it be and why? Thanks for the input

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I use the Harmony 880. I like the shape, it has LCD labels beside the activity buttons and it will work with a wide variety of equipment. Looking back, I should have gone with the 890. It is the same as the 880 with the added RF feature. That means I don't have to keep it pointed at the equipment rack during activity changes.

cwwilhelm

Grip
Real Name
Chuck Wilhelm
From reading reviews and messages on this boar I think I have narrowed my selection down to either the Harmony 900 & 1100. I looked for the 880 & 890, but trying to locate prices on these were a little confusing and most seemed to either be equal to or more than the 900 or 1100.. So for those running the 900 & 1100, I would appreciate you pro and cons on these remotes. Also please keep this as simple as possible for a fellow and his wife to understand. Also the prices I am using is from Logitec which both are the refurbished options with the 900 $189.99 and the 1100 $229.99. If anyone has a place where they could be purchased at a better price I would appreciate that input also. Sorry if I am all over the place, but just trying to get all of this figured out. Thanks in advance! Chuck

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The 1100 would be marked off my list because you can't work it with one hand. I want buttons you can feel in the dark and work it with one thumb.

cwwilhelm

Grip
Real Name
Chuck Wilhelm
Robert_J, That is a bit consideration for me, but not for the wife. I looked back and saw that you use the 880. Looking like we will probably go with the 900. Mostly because of cost. I would like to hear from those that are using the Harmony 900 with pros and cons.

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
The first thing to consider with the Harmony is how many 'devices' you need to control now or plan to in the future? The 600/650 line (Black/silver) is just about right for the average user today, this models control up to 5 devices, the buttons are perfectly located with motion activated illumination, and 3 easy to access 'activities' buttons at the top, after a few weeks of use most likely you'll be able to use/control the buttons without even looking at the screen, just by touch/memory. The 600 is cheaper but the screen lacks color, I've seen it locally selling for $29.00 (on sale) and 49.00 for the 650 (My local Costco Wholesale had the 650 on sale during the last few weeks) If you're planing to control more devices the 700 line controls up to 6. Basic programing is easy, just follow instructions after downloading and installing the software in your pc, then enter your devices' model # and create 'activities' like 'Play Blu-ray” “watch HDTV” etc, and either access them from the screen or from the hard pre-programmed activity buttons on top. At first it may take a while to familiarized your self with the software, but after a few sessions it gets easier, then you can move on to learn more advanced features like reassigning your screen pages buttons and 'learn' any buttons/commands missing from the default assignments for your devices. For instance, I programed the 600 for a friend recently, and the commands for the color coded buttons for his AT&T uverse DVR were missing, (and Blu player)so I had to 'learn' those commands and place them on the corresponding buttons on the 600. I believe you can also program “favorite” channels directly on the screen too, but I haven't done that with the 600 yet. You can check demo videos on the last link.. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038OMEQI http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=6076973&sku=L23-0650&srkey=Logitech%20Harmony%20650

cwwilhelm

Grip
Real Name
Chuck Wilhelm
Alfonso_M, Thanks for the input, that is the kind of input I am looking for. Currently I have 10 devices with possibly 2 are more. Lighting, fans and might add a few gamming consoles at some point. I also need the RF technology also. I trying to find the older remotes that they don't show in the list on the logitech site so I can determine which of the older remotes that have RF. I do appreciate your input.

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
cwwilhelm said:
Alfonso_M, Thanks for the input, that is the kind of input I am looking for. Currently I have 10 devices with possibly 2 are more. Lighting, fans and might add a few gamming consoles at some point. I also need the RF technology also. I trying to find the older remotes that they don't show in the list on the logitech site so I can determine which of the older remotes that have RF. I do appreciate your input.
I don't know where I got the idea, but you are not an average user..:confused: :) For 10+/RF devices you'll have to go with the top models then..I'm still using in my HT the old 720 that controls 15 devices but no RF. Here is a link with comparison charts from current models..and you probably know already, but checkout 'remote central' for more in depth user info on Logitech remotes.. http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20006296-1.html?tag=mncol;rvwBody good luck!:tu:

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I needed something simpler than my Harmony 880 for when I'm out of town and have relative looking in on my cats. i invariably come home to find the remote out of the charger with a dead battery, to the TV set to the wrong input or something. So the other day I ordered this Acoustic Research 15 device remote from Amazon for $36.00 shipped. It doesn't have a rechargeable battery, but that may be an advantage in this case. I've only done the basic setup, but so far I like it better than my old Logitech 510, and once I get the activities programmed, I may end up using it as much as my 880. For the price it is definitely worth looking at. (They also have several other models at decent prices - and they have an RF extender if that's a feature you need. I don't think any of the ARs offer RF built in.) Regards, Joe

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Have you ever asked what the issue was with the 880? My in-laws saw mine and loved it. They hate theirs. Turns out that they can't remember to keep it pointed at the TV when switching between activities. That has never been a big deal with me but they would get up and manually turn something on or off. Then the remote couldn't remember the current state of the equipment. That's why I recommend the RF models for the non-technical folks. But any of the Harmony models with the LCD screen is great. You can't get more descriptive that Watch DirecTV beside a button. I even have Watch Blu-ray, Watch DirecTiVo and Listen to XM as additional activities. Hard buttons with Watch TV and Listen to Music were too generic since I have multiple TV and music sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks