What's new

Audioset 400 euro, Samsung, Onkyo, Sony, I'm getting lost! (1 Viewer)

ReinierL

Auditioning
Real Name
Reinier
Hi, I'm looking for a new audioset (receiver + speakers), but the more reviews I read the more difficult it becomes to make my choice. I have looked for audiosets between 300-400 euro (except for the Samsung ht-d6750w, which is 634 euro, but is that extra money worth it?). * the speakers will be placed in a square of 4.5 x 4.5 meter * I don't need many inputs, just my HTPC using HDMI and TV decoder (now SP/DIF, perhaps HDMI when I switch to a new decoder). Which reminds me that I probably need a receiver that can delay the sound. * I don't have a bluray player yet, so a built-in would be handy but otherwise I can buy a standalone one or build one in the HTPC. * I quite like the fm radio / internet radio option (without having to startup the HTPC) * Not sure if the tall speakers make any difference in my living room. They sure look great! The feature list of all the receivers below look more or less the same to me, but what about the quality? I'm getting pretty much lost, so can anyone give me some advise? Samsung HT-D5500 - 276 euro - (usb, bluray player, internet) Samsung HT-D5550 - 437 euro - (tall speakers, usb, bluray player) Samsung ht-d6750w - 634 euro - (tall speakers, usb, bluray player, internet) Onkyo HT-S3305 - 279 euro - (fm radio, no bluray player, no internet) Onkyo HT-S5405BL - 333 euro - (usb, no bluray player, no internet) Sony BDV-E380 - 293 euro - (fm radio, bluray player, usb, internet) Sony BDV-E880 - 369 euro LG HX751 - 398 euro (bluray player, fm tuner) * any other suggestions? Thanks a lot!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
All-in-one home theater in a box's appear to be the best value based on price, (inflated) specifications, and features, but they also have their draw-backs. They don't perform anywhere near their stated specs, especially the power output, They have limited connections for other external equipment, they usually have proprietary speaker connections so you can't hook any other speakers to them, and if one part breaks, like the receiver or bluray player, you have to replace the whole thing, speakers and all. That's why we usually recommend the Onkyo systems around here because they have more traditional speaker and subwoofers and a real receiver so you can easily add to it and upgrade other components as needed. A powered subwoofer is always better then a passive one. I'd suggest the Onkyo 5405 and a good quality BluRay player. And don't over-pay for the name brand cables and wires. They are way over-priced.

ReinierL

Auditioning
Real Name
Reinier
Thanks for you reaction! Someone suggested me to take the Onkyo 509 and JBL speakers (not sure which JBL, but perhaps the JBL SCS 200.5 (170 euro) or JBL Cinema 300 (299 euro). Sounds like a nice set to me. What do you think? By the way, how big is the difference between the JBL SCS 200.5 and Cinema 300? And how are they compared to the all-in-one Onkyo 5405?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
A real receiver and any speaker system is better than the all-in-one systems. I don't know anything about the JBL speakers you listed but any speaker package from JBL, Polk, Infinity, etc will be pretty good. But we all have a different opinion about how speakers sound. You may not like what someone else does.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks