What's new

This is BEYOND DISGUSTING! (1 Viewer)

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I found out this morning that on this coming Monday (January 30) that a segment of NBC's Fear Factor will require contestants to drink :eek: DONKEY URINE & SEMEN! :eek: This is outragious! How have we let ourselves allow this filth to invade our living rooms? This show will air between the hours of 9:00PM and 10:00 PM, Eastern Time, a period in which CHILDREN WILL BE WATCHING! I urge all of you to contact your Local NBC Affiliate and request that they NOT air this episode, or at least Air it at a differant time, say after 11:30 PM.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
While I have less than no interest in seeing people drink horse urine or semen, I have no problem with someone else watching it. It's a free country and I'm sick of adults having to worry about what children see. Their parents should be monitoring what they see and if they aren't, there's probably bigger problems than watching some repugnant reality/game show stunt. That being said, I'm sure NBC will chicken out and bow to pressure from people who don't know how to change the channel and think that their feelings should dictate what other people see.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
If only there was a way for someone to "change the channel" when something they didn't like came on television. If only there was a way for parents to "monitor" their kids' viewing habits.

If only...

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Isn't it more likely that NBC will bow to pressure from the people who DO know how to change the channel?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
This seems like a rich-people problem. Having grown up on a farm, I have to tell you, this isn't the worst thing I've ever heard of. Ever watched a cow get slaughtered? Or rung a few chicken necks? Spend a day around some hogs. All that said, we still love hamburgers, bacon and chicken.

While Rocky Mountain Oysters aren't everyone's taste, there are lots of people who do enjoy it quite a good deal. The contestants accepted a check, they are getting paid. If they decide they don't want to do it, they don't have to do it. The network isn't forcing them.

As far as being offended, it's hard for me to "be offended" I mean, no one is doing anything against their consent and all that. I find the show gross, I have no interest in ever watching, and wonder about people who do enjoy it. But I guess I'm not morally outraged

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'm not into banning content that bothers me, but I have to wonder about what sort of person finds this stuff entertaining. I mean, if you're reduced to watching people eat and drink disgusting things to amuse yourself, maybe it's time to turn off the TV and do something else. I do agree, however, that broadcast networks should tone down the programming in the 8-9 pm hour as a general rule (not that I think the government should be mandating that or anything). Lots of kids are up and watching TV at that time.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I barely even knew Fear Factor was back on the air, and now you've completely put the show on my radar.

There's no such thing as bad publicity.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Hanson said:
I barely even knew Fear Factor was back on the air, and now you've completely put the show on my radar. There's no such thing as bad publicity.
That's exactly what NBC wants. While there's no way that they're going risk FCC fines for actually playing it, they've got free press and people talking about the show just by saying that they will. Anyone who really wants to fight this should just not talk about it because out of sight is out of mind.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I have managed to contact the Parent's Television Council and they are OUTRAGED! I'm expecting a "Call to Arms" from them any minute, with campaigns to E-Mail NBC and their Affiliates to persuade them to eithe not air this episode, or at least reschedule it to a time when Children are not watching. They may also persuade the FCC to take action or ask this shows Sponsors to withdraw their advertising. All I can say is: GIVE EM [COLOR=FF00AA]H*LL!!![/COLOR]

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Thats the spirit.

If you dont like something, try to have it banned, so no one can watch, read, hear, or do it.

PS I have never watched Fear Factor, nor will I ever. Actually I can't even remember the last network television show I watched.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Sometimes when someone is looking for undue attention, the best thing to do is ignore them.

Michelle Schmid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michelle Holloway
You know what I find beyond disgusting? Someone trying to shove their views down my throat. I'm sure if I tried, and not very hard, either, I could find something that you like which I don't. Shall I go on a rampage to get that banned? So you have no choice and have to do what I think is best? :rolleyes: You know what I do if I don't like something on TV? I don't watch it. You know what I do when I think something is inappropriate for my children to watch? I don't let them watch it. It's pretty simple, really. With all the choices people have on TV these days I can't imagine it would be very hard to change the channel to something else that you deem better. Or turn it off altogether. Read a book, maybe. So many options . . . Based on the replys so far, it seems I'm not alone. The OP, however, seems to be, but is either blissfully unaware or truly just seeking attention. For the record, I think the whole show is disgusting and always has been, and had no interest in watching it. Now, though, I almost want turn this episode on just so I can say "screw you, PTC!"

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Michelle Schmid said:
The OP, however, seems to be, but is either blissfully unaware or truly just seeking attention.
Not that he needs me to speak for him but having read William's many posts here over the years, I can say that he's a good guy and I think his heart is in the right place. That doesn't mean that I agree with the specifics of what he wants though.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
TravisR said:
Not that he needs me to speak for him but having read William's many posts here over the years, I can say that he's a good guy and I think his heart is in the right place. That doesn't mean that I agree with the specifics of what he wants though.
What I want is for this show to be aired at a time when Children are NOT Watching. The 8:00 to 9:00 PM (Eastern) Period is supposed to be for Family-Friendly Programming, but what FF is doing is definately NOT Family-Friendly. Heaven only knows what will happen if NBC is allowed to get away with this. This is why I'm taking a stand. I don't watch this show, but I know others who do. I let my Sister know what is happening and she has decided to take her Kids to Busch Gardens on Monday so they won't be in front of the TV Set when this travesty airs. (She will call their Schools and say they are "Sick" before they depart for the Park). :D For the record, I stand corrected, the show will air at 9:00 PM (Eastern) - The source I first read of this was based on Central Time Zone, which is 8:00 their time. PTC has given this show it's "Red" Rating, which means UNSUITABLE FOR CHILDREN.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Well, if I ever need to find a band of freedom-loving crusaders to defend the rights of shallow morons to chug-a-lug donkey pee on television, I know where to find them. Those of you attacking the OP's statement, would you mind pausing for just a moment to think about what you're defending? This is not "Huckleberry Finn" being banned in school libraries. I know we're in an 'anything goes' society and pop culture now, and heaven forbid anyone dare pass judgment on anything as wrong or inappropriate, hence they risk condemnation as a bigot or some religious weirdo out to shove their morals down someone else's throat. But really, it is perfectly acceptable to point out that a series featuring people drinking donkey semen on a major network at what used to be called "the family hour" (ah, those less enlightened times) is irresponsible and - wait for it - disgusting and stupid. Tonight, I will delve into my vast tv-on-dvd collection and enjoy episodes of Bewitched, The Lucy Show, That Girl and The Donna Reed Show. Sure, there's not a lot of donkey pee -related content, but I like them anyway.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Regulus said:
What I want is for this show to be aired at a time when Children are NOT Watching. The 8:00 to 9:00 PM (Eastern) Period is supposed to be for Family-Friendly Programming, but what FF is doing is definately NOT Family-Friendly. Heaven only knows what will happen if NBC is allowed to get away with this.
While I whole heartedly agree that kids should not see this, it's not like if some do that they are going to rush to find donkeys and repeat the stunt.
DaveHof said:
Well, if I ever need to find a band of freedom-loving crusaders to defend the rights of shallow morons to chug-a-lug donkey pee on television, I know where to find them. Those of you attacking the OP's statement, would you mind pausing for just a moment to think about what you're defending? This is not "Huckleberry Finn" being banned in school libraries. I know we're in an 'anything goes' society and pop culture now, and heaven forbid anyone dare pass judgment on anything as wrong or inappropriate, hence they risk condemnation as a bigot or some religious weirdo out to shove their morals down someone else's throat. But really, it is perfectly acceptable to point out that a series featuring people drinking donkey semen on a major network at what used to be called "the family hour" (ah, those less enlightened times) is irresponsible and - wait for it - disgusting and stupid. Tonight, I will delve into my vast tv-on-dvd collection and enjoy episodes of Bewitched, The Lucy Show, That Girl and The Donna Reed Show. Sure, there's not a lot of donkey pee -related content, but I like them anyway.
Your post is acting as if people here are encouraging this and can't wait to watch it and looking at the posts, that is definitely not the case. I know you're only doing that to support your point but it's disingenuous. I only speak for myself but I'm pretty sure that most here agree that drinking donkey urine and semen is wrong and it shouldn't be shown on TV or done anywhere at all ever. I will also say that doing that is repellent and anyone who does that should immediately seek mental (and probably medical) help. That being said, I don't need or want some self-appointed moral guardians telling me what I'm allowed to watch on TV. I'm an adult I can make my choices and I choose to never watch something as repugnant and indefensible as someone drinking donkey urine and semen but if, for some strange reason, I wanted to watch that, I don't need anyone hassling me about it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Regulus said:
What I want is for this show to be aired at a time when Children are NOT Watching. The 8:00 to 9:00 PM (Eastern) Period is supposed to be for Family-Friendly Programming, but what FF is doing is definately NOT Family-Friendly. Heaven only knows what will happen if NBC is allowed to get away with this. This is why I'm taking a stand. I don't watch this show, but I know others who do. I let my Sister know what is happening and she has decided to take her Kids to Busch Gardens on Monday so they won't be in front of the TV Set when this travesty airs. (She will call their Schools and say they are "Sick" before they depart for the Park). :D For the record, I stand corrected, the show will air at 9:00 PM (Eastern) - The source I first read of this was based on Central Time Zone, which is 8:00 their time. PTC has given this show it's "Red" Rating, which means UNSUITABLE FOR CHILDREN.
The PTC offers a guide as does any other ratings system . A guide not a rule. So what If a kid watches that episode. What's it going to do to him, cause him to want to do it himself?  If it does, who's fault is that? I'll tell you who's fault, the kids parents not the tv show. If I want to let my kids watch a show like this who is William or anyone else  To try and change that. This show has people eating live bugs and swimming around in cow blood and  Bobbing for cow hearts in a swimming pool of blood.  Jeez people trying to censor things as unimportant as this really burns me up. Really William, change the channel and leave it alone. Let people sit and watch whatever they want even if it is pig guts for dinner and change the channel if YOU dont want to watch it. This kind of mentality only makes me want to watch it more then if before. I record Fear factor and watch it every week. If something is going on that I don't want to see I hit the ff button.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I've never watched FF and don't intend to, but is this really worse than kids watching sadistic serial killers on Criminal Minds? Or wife swapping shows? Or the killer of the week on Alcatraz? Or NCIS at 8:00? Honestly, I understand the intent of the OP, but if people debasing themselves by drinking donkey urine is an outrage because kids might be watching, but all the above mentioned shows and a lot more isn't, then frankly I don't see the point. Seems rather subjective to me, which is precisely why I don't like the idea of people trying to decide where that line is, for me.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Originally Posted by Regulus /t/318067/this-is-beyond-disgusting#post_3891849

Is this thread for real? So it's not okay for your kids to watch some stupid pointless stunt show, but it's okay to take your kids out of school to go to an amusement park (and lie about it)? Yeah, that's logical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks