Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Looking for a new receiver...Pioneer Sc-57

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Irishfan

Irishfan

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted January 26 2012 - 01:59 PM

Im currently looking for a new receiver, it will be used for 90% movies. Im leaning towards the pioneer SC-57. Any advice?

#2 of 4 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,669 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted January 26 2012 - 04:07 PM

As I said earlier, the SC-57 is a very good receiver but it's only been on the market for a few months so it's still priced pretty high. IMO, Pioneer receiver (and especially their BluRay players) are a bit over-priced at anything near msrp. Seek a discount. And I'd hate to see you spend more on the receiver then you do on the bookshelves. As I've recommended before, go into BB and and show a strong interest in it and maybe they can work with you on the price. Some e-tailers, like jr.com, electronicsexpo.com, 6thave.com, etc will also let you bargain on the price or offer a serious discount if you call them. A phone sale (with physical receipt implying that you bought it from the store and not on-line) might protect warranty coverage. Apparently they will look the other way to make a sale as Pioneer will not honor the warranty on any Elite receiver bought on-line. If you've moved the budget up that far it would be silly not to look at comparative Denon's, Onkyo's, Yamaha's and H/K's just to be sure you're making the right decision for you. But the SC-27 might just be the best over-all receiver I've had yet. And I've had quite a few.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 4 Irishfan

Irishfan

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted January 27 2012 - 12:10 AM

I have found the sc-57 for $1,400 online. Thats crazy about the warranty, and purchasing the unit online.

#4 of 4 dmiller68

dmiller68

Supporting Actor

• 667 posts

Posted January 27 2012 - 02:45 AM

I have the SC-37 and would love to upgrade to the SC-57 mostly for the Apple intergration. I had the SC-27 as well. They have been fantastic recievers and would highly recommend them.

Equipment: Panasonic TC-P65VT25, Panasonic DMP-BDT100, Pioneer Elite SC-37, TiVo Premiere XL, Limited Edition MW3 XBOX 360s with Kinect, Apple TV
Speakers: Definitive Technology Mythos XTR60 (3), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR20BP (4), Definitive Technology SuperCube II

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users