What's new

Touch - Season One (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Really enjoyed the pilot last night, and the ratings for it were good. Hard for me to imagine that it'll retain this size of audience. It's really a show that requires strict attention to see how all of the disparate pieces come together at the end, and I'm not sure how much the average viewer wants to concentrate so intently on so much information in those seemingly wildly divergent threads before they finally come together.

I hope when it comes back in March, it will bring its big audience for the rest of its season. I did like it.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Would you say it's appropriate for a nine year old girl? Sounds like even if it's "appropriate", a lot of it may go over her head. My daughter saw the promo for it and was interested in checking it out.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I'm just getting to be a bigger wuss as I age (I refuse to think that it's a sign of maturity) but I enjoyed it. I was surprised by how sentimental and sappy (in a good way) it was. Kiefer Sutherland is as good as ever but I noticed alot of mannerisms from Jack Bauer showing up in Martin Bohm. That being said, I think this will be a nice change of pace for Sutherland because the guy ain't Bauer. This isn't the type of show that I normally watch but I'll stick with it in March.
ScottH said:
Would you say it's appropriate for a nine year old girl?  Sounds like even if it's "appropriate", a lot of it may go over her head.  My daughter saw the promo for it and was interested in checking it out.
I wouldn't say inappropriate but there's a couple of things that may be pretty intense for a 9 year old (a kid is forced into attempting a suicide bombing and there's alot of sad stories) but I'm not sure that a person that age would be that into the show and, like you said, some of it might go over her head. I do think there's alot of positive messages such as showing that our actions can have wide ranging consequences and that we should act decently towards people.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I thought it was silly, myself. "I'm a kitchen supply distributor." :rolleyes: Of course you are. Kiefer was good, but I won't be back. One day I'll learn to avoid Tim Kring.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H /t/318049/touch-season-one#post_3891518
I thought it was silly, myself. "I'm a kitchen supply distributor." Of course you are.

Yeah, I know. But it's one of those things that has to be in order for the show to work. What I found more eye rolling was when she told the kid

how to disarm the bomb, and to 'call me back on this number'. How?

I missed the first five minutes... I'm not sure how the singer/terrorist story related to the kid or how he helped them. (and really, he shoots a video from his phone and, instead of uploading the video, he gives the phone to some random stranger to help her get famous? Sound logic there.)

Did not know Kring was behind it. Poor writing aside, my expectations for this show just plummeted.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The show opened with the kid narrating how people are all connected, but if I remember right, the action started with Bohm working his job at the airport and getting handed a box of lost-and-found phones that he wanted to take home to Jake because he likes to take them apart. As he was walking, one of them rang and it was the English guy who wanted it because it had a picture of his daughter. Bohm was arranging to send it to him when his own phone rang and someone let him know Jake was up the cell tower. The English guy's phone was then out of his mind, and it took a ride on a conveyor belt, atop some luggage. If you saw the scene where the Iraqi kid was watching Chris Rock, that was the introduction of his storyline.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I thought the premise was kind of interesting, and the acting was good, but the plot was so contrived and nonsensical that I turned it off after about 20 minutes. I just couldn't get past The Stupid. It was one WTF after another.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I thought the Japanese sex workers was inappropriate for 9 year olds. That's what Japan has become in pop culture lately -- girls in school uniforms and kinky sexual proclivities. Better than samurais and ninjas? Dunno.

The whole plot line with the phone going around the world really made me ask one question: How the hell did that HTC Evo stay charged the whole time?

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Hanson /t/318049/touch-season-one#post_3891672
How the hell did that HTC Evo stay charged the whole time?

I'm not sure about the whole time, but the Al Qaeda member mentioned that the phones were all charged up. I assume any terrorist cell worth its salt keeps a bunch of common chargers on hand--it would be downright embarrassing to go to work with red battery level!

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I meant that tongue in cheek as the Evo was notorious for terrible battery life.

Also, the Evo isn't able to roam on GSM networks.

Dan M~

Second Unit
Anyone still follwing this?
My family keeps recording it to watch and I got caught up over the weekend. While it can be sappy, I'm curious about the main story and what they are being led too.
I'm in for a few more episodes to see if they can move the story along or if they will continue to flaunder with the same problems (custody, job, etc.) and locations.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm still watching.

The investigations of Jake's numerical patterns continue to attract me each week, but Kiefer Sutherland fighting to retain custody of his son from a revolving series of people out to take him away is, I think, the show's weak link. I don't think people want to tune in for that every week.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I watched the first two episodes, then I gave up and passed on the third. Rethinking things I jumped onboard again a week later and I am now liking what I see. They've toned down Jake running wild and now he is just revealing info that sets the direction the episode will travel. While the endings are perhaps sappy , I find them heartwarming and uplifting.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
According to this article Touch has been renewed.
I agree with the sappiness, but a heartwarming show is nice for a change. With the way the show works I can't see the father losing his son - that would be the end of the show. There has to be one of those Dirk Gently situations that will bring a happy ending to that plotline. The show can easily continue with there being no question about him holding onto his son.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The renewal didn't surprise me much, but I also think Fox will move it elsewhere next season, possibly to Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks