What's new

I'm looking for a reciever to replace my onkyo which is too big to fit under TV.. (1 Viewer)

dustinbrantley

Auditioning
Real Name
dustin
I wonder if I could ask the knowledgeable people here about what I should buy. I have my trusty old 5.1 onkyo from 6 years ago that works great but need to replace. I have some nice KEF speakers that I would still like to use. Problem is, I need a reciever to fit in a space that only has about 6 inches height and 16 inches depth. This means, I need a decent 5.1 receiver that is about 5 inches high and 15 inches deep to give it some breathing room. Is there anything like this out there? It should not be very expensive and hdmi would be nice. It doesn't have to be a new model or anything. If it is right at 5.5 or 6 inches high with the feet on, I could remove the feet to make it fit if necessary. My onkyo now is about 6 iches high with the feet off! It is also too deep and sticks out the front of my tv rack. I could of course put it on a seperate rack which I also own but that is not what I am going to do for space reasons. I just don't have room in my new apartment for it and the speakers. Any suggestions?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The Marantz 1402 or 1602 would work. The only problem is that with the smaller size you get less power. What size is your room and how effiecient are your speakers? I just purchaed the 1602 and like it a lot. However I'm noticing the difference between 75w and 50w more than I thought I would. In my 13x15 room it works, but I come much closer to the receivers limit than I ever did before.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
It looks like the Onkyo TX-SR309 would work for you if you like the Onkyo's. Power is going to be an issue though as the previous poster mentioned. This Onkyo has 65w which is a little better.

dustinbrantley

Auditioning
Real Name
dustin
The TX-SR309 does look nice. I can't blast my speakers anyway because the neighbors would probably complain. It's listed at 6 inches high so even after taking the feet off, it might be a tight fit and might overheat... The Marantz 1402 looks like a better size but it only has one optical audio in. I would like at least 2. The 1602 looks too big and is also too expensive I think.

dustinbrantley

Auditioning
Real Name
dustin
The TX-SR309 does look nice. I can't blast my speakers anyway because the neighbors would probably complain. It's listed at 6 inches high so even after taking the feet off, it might be a tight fit and might overheat... It says 17.1 inches is what I assume is the depth. THis is also a bit long and would stick 2 or 3 inches out the front of my tv stand. The Marantz 1402 looks like a better size but it only has one optical audio in. I would like at least 2. The 1602 looks too big and is also too expensive I think.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
Per their site:

Dimensions (W x H x D) 17 1/8" x 5 7/8" x 12 15/16"
So taking the feet off would drop it down a little more.

Originally Posted by dustinbrantley

The TX-SR309 does look nice. I can't blast my speakers anyway because the neighbors would probably complain. It's listed at 6 inches high so even after taking the feet off, it might be a tight fit and might overheat... The Marantz 1402 looks like a better size but it only has one optical audio in. I would like at least 2. The 1602 looks too big and is also too expensive I think.
/t/318045/im-looking-for-a-reciever...which-is-too-big-to-fit-under-tv#post_3891376

dustinbrantley

Auditioning
Real Name
dustin
Yes, it does like it would fit the bill pretty nicely. I wonder though before I buy, if there are any other possible units around the same size but perhaps a bit more features or power. This one seems pretty entry levelish. I could spend double what this one costs if it was worth it.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I went and looked at the pioneer line which I would normally recommend but they where all too tall. It looks like most of the mid to high level recievers are too tall.

dustinbrantley

Auditioning
Real Name
dustin
What about the Yamaha RX-V571, V567 or V467? THey are all listed at 6 inches tall but might could be lowered without the feet.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I would think twice about removing feet. Most receivers have vents on the bottom. And you really don't want to impede a receivers air flow.

dustinbrantley

Auditioning
Real Name
dustin
Thanks for all the advice. I went ahead and got the TX-SR309. By the way, if anyone is thinking of getting the Walker Edison Regal 60-In. 4-in-1 TV Stand (I got from Amazon but I'm sure they are everywhere), beware of the 6 inch bottom shelf size. The second shelf has more room but there is no front support for the glass so trying to putt my receiver on it looked like it was going to break it. That's why I am stuck with the bottom shelf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks