-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What's a good 4 ohm capable reciever

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 pfar

pfar

Stunt Coordinator

• 74 posts

Posted January 25 2012 - 04:10 PM

I am in the market of getting new speakers and most of the kind I like are 4 ohm. Now my reciever I have now is about 4 years old and I think it can go to 6 ohm. Its a pioneer vsx 1017... So I wanted to get the new reciever so it's up to date and able to play the new speakers I want. Now when I get the new reciever I will only be getting two speakers at first, maybe a center too, so I will have at minimum two of the 8 ohm speakers I have now, so would the new reciever destroy the 8 ohm speakers? And is it able to even play with two ohm levels because even with expensive speaker sets some of the surrounds are 6 ohm.

#2 of 2 Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted January 26 2012 - 01:03 AM

If you like the receiver you have, since it has "Pre-Outs" on the back, you can get an external amp and connect to it, and let it handle the 4 ohm speakers. You may be able to find a used one fairly cheap. Check here for a used one: http://app.audiogon.com/categories/33 You might find one on Craig's List too. If you're wanting something new, the Onkyo TX-NR709 and up, is 4 ohm certified. Even so, if all five or all seven speakers are going to be 4 ohm, I'd still add an external amp. You can do like I do and run the front three speakers as 4 ohm, and my other four speakers are 8 ohm. I've had no problem with this. I set my receiver up for 4 ohm during initial setup, and it's been fine ever since. Good luck!
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...