What's new

Happy Anniversary : 20th 25th 30th 35th 40th 45th 50th (1 Viewer)

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Looking through a list of movies that have anniversaries this year I saw quite a few that I'd like to see either on dvd debuts, Blu for first time, or deluxe additions: 1962: There are 4 important films that have never even seen the light of day on video from 50 years ago that I'd like to see get a chance: GIGOT: Jackie Gleason's poignant Paris set tribute to silent films would be perfectly timed to the probable Best Picture win of a silent film since WINGS.... the French film THE ARTIST. Fox has never officially released this on video in the U.S. , but I taped it off FMC a few years ago and find it to be an unsung classic. Gleason is riveting in a silent role. TENDER IS THE NIGHT: Another Fox no show on video. Based on F.Scott Fitzgerald's unfinished novel , and beautifully filmed this would look great on Blu. With Baz Lurmahns THE GREAT GATSBY scheduled this year and star Jennifer Jones still with us-this would be a perfect time to release this. FREUD: I just want to finally be able tio see this John Huston version of the famed shrink. It garnered a Screenplay Oscar nomination. Hopefully (but doudtfully) this is on Universal's 100 list. THE WAR OF THE BUTTONS: With 2 competing French films released last year-one to be released stateside by the Weinstein Group this year , this 1962 version of the childrens classic might see the light of day Others: THE L-SHAPED ROOM and deluxe rereleases of JULES AND JIM and EXPERIMENT IN TERROR 1967: Slim pickens: CHARLIE BUBBLES; Liza Minellis true debut and a wonderful film on its own deserves a 45th anni release. Paramount is holding back on THE STERILE CUCKOO DVD-is this a music rights issue? With STERLE , STEPPING OUT and TELL ME THAT YOU LOVE ME JUNIE MOON -Paramount are holding on to three movies from an actress who made very few. THE HAPPENING: At best a Columbia Archive MOD release-but I kinda liked this RUTHLESS PEOPLE like film. Faye Dunaway at her most reserved(and beautiful) BAREFOOT IN THE PARK BLU ; VALLEY OF THE DOLLS deluxe Blu (with the tv remake as an extra) and a decent version of TO SIR WITH LOVE , Poitiers least exposed 1967 film that has gotten no respect on video. 1972: The most standout never on video release is Paramount's THE MAN. I would have thought that the story of Americas first black President would have been released by now in the Obama regime. Paramount seems to be unashamed of releasing THE KLANSMAN , MANDINGO and recently HURRY SUNDOWN on DVD/sTREAMING.THE MAN deserves a release . THE EFFECT OF GAMMA RAYS ON MAN IN THE MOON MARIGOLDS:Why? Surprisingly never on video. ONE IS A LONELY NUMBER: Trish VanDevere deserved an Oscar nod for this little seen film. Maybe Warner Archives will get around to this this year. LADY SINGS THE BLUES: Rerelease Deluxe edition. 1972 was the only year -so far-in which 2 Women of Color received Best Actress nominations-Diana Ross and Cicely Tyson for SOUNDER. Ironically it coincides with this years nominations of Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer for THE HELP-which is also a first. 1776, THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE , THE HEARTBREAK KID , SLEUTH , SILENT RUNNING and a definitive deluxe edition of THE LEGEND OF BOGGY CREEK -an important film that paved the way for the reality /horror films we have today. Let a new audience see how that type of film should really be done. BOGGY scared me everytime it was played. 1977: THE CHOIRBOYS: Just because! CITIZENS BAND: I'm actually seeing this along with MELVIN AND HOWARD next week at Lincoln Center with Jonathan Demme and Paul LeMat both being there. I'm psyched to see this on the big screen again. I dont know if its important enough for Criterion but as a cultural phenomenm CB's were the Facebook of their time. CITIZENS BAND (or HANDLE WITH CARE) is a wry commentary on many of the same points they are making today. Plus it has LeMats best performance and Ann Wedgeworth was robbed of an Oscar nod. THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN: I'm assuming Paramount owns this tv movie that was released to theaters overseas. With the forthcoming reboot with the same title coming-its release along with the others would be great. RACE FOR YOUR LIFE CHARLIE BROWN: Hopefully Paramount will get around to this and BON VOYAGE this year I NEVER PROMISED YOU A ROSE GARDEN: Ido not know if this is part of the Shout! Factory deal with Corman. If it is this deserves a deluxe treatment and Shout is the one that can handle it. Rereleases: SORCERER, THE TURNING POINT , BLACK SUNDAY and AUDREY ROSE all deserve deluxe editions. 1982: COME BACK TO THE 5 & DIME JIMMY DEAN , JIMMY DEAN:: a slight, but compelling filmed play by Robert Altman that was advertised (falsekly) as Cher's film debut. what makes it even more relkevant is the plot point of a man having an operation to turn into a woman -which mirrors Chers daughter Chastity doing just the opposite HEY GOOD LOOKING: With Fox releasing a 35th Anniversary Blu of WIZARDS it would be about time Warner Brothers did the same with at least a DVD premiere of this interesting animated film. If MGM and Paramount also did the same with FRITZ THE CAT and COOL WORLD -Bakshi could have 40th , 35th , 30th and 20th anniversaries of his films all out nin 2012! I THE JURY : Very underrated. I'm hoping Shout! has this 1987: Surprisingly not much of this year lends itself to 25th Anniversary editions. Some I'd like to see: BARFLY: This awesome movie deserves a deluxe blu with many extras. Maybe on its 25th year we will get to see Michael Fox's best performance see the LIGHT OF DAY LADY BEWARE: Definitely! LONG GONE: Ihave an affection for this HBO movie. Virginia Madsen at her sexiest. 1992: 1492: ;CONQUEST OF PARADISE: Maybe finally on its 20th? A MIDNIGHT CLEAR: This has been too long out of print SPLIT SECOND: Ditto! Not much else for 20th anniversaries. 1997, except for TITANIC

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Great list. Now all the film companies have to do is live up to their word. They can talk the talk, but can they walk the walk?

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
SILENT RUNNING and BARFLY are both available on bd -- it pays to be region free!

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Another one for 1982 ANNIE This film has never had the proper treatment it deserves for DVD (of Blu) as Columbia and then Sony only saw it as a "kid's Film". Last release was Full Screen,and the only decent LBX print was the Laserdisc! HD transfer/Restored print, the cut scenes, the 30 minutes of reshot scenes, the "Lights! Camera! Annie!" making of specials, perhaps the screen tesrs (if they exist), etc.

ricktech12

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
Louis Letizia said:
1992: 1492: ;CONQUEST OF PARADISE: Maybe finally on its 20th?
Maybe if they (Paramount) license it out to a studio who wants to release it on DVD and Blu-ray. This was never released onto DVD in the USA, even when Gladiator was a big success and DVD's were selling like crazy. I'd be quite surprised if they do anything with it at all, it seems like they are trying to bury the film in the USA (why not release a DVD of it when Gladiator was really popular, don't understand that at all). It's one of my favorite movies so I hope someone releases it in the USA eventually. The France Blu-ray will not play on any USA Blu-ray players and it's 1080i, all the DVD's for this are either PAL or 4:3.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks