What's new

Mass Effect 3 (BioWare) (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
In multiplayer news (THE HORROR), there's a free DLC expansion releasing on Tuesday.
[VIDEO]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=BasebmHiqIo&feature=player_embedded[/VIDEO]
KROGAN VANGUARD, SON
GONNA HEADBUTT ALL THE DUDES LIKE E HONDA

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
joshEH said:
I hope BioWare puts out a new ending-video as DLC.
They did even better than that. In addition to expanding upon the existing endings, the Extended Cut has an extra ending. The new epilogue stuff was most welcome. And they filled in some of gthe big "wtf?" questions, which then yield more minor "why?" questions.
If the EC had been part of the game at release, it would have cut down the hullabaloo by an order of magnitude.

oesat

Grip
Real Name
Mark Webber
I was very disappointed with the end of part 3.
I have still enough questions. There are even more.
The books were quite better.
Maybe the DLCs will fix this.

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator
oesat said:
Maybe the DLCs will fix this.
DLC shouldn't have to fix anything. And since the extended cut DLC leaves a lot of major problems with the ending intact, I don't see that happening at all.

oesat

Grip
Real Name
Mark Webber
Well,
I think you are right.
But I won't stop dreaming :)
In my opinion the story of a game should be finished when the last boss is killed/ finished. The DLC should extend/ tell sidestories. A DLC should have nothing to do with the main story, unless the game is made up of it.
Mass Effect has 3 Games, one story and lots of not answered questions.
My Post above shouldn't support DLCs at all, but in this case it could be possible to end the story. I mean, there are 100thousands of gamers which are not statisfied...
Anyone should dream bad!

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator
oesat said:
Mass Effect has 3 Games, one story and lots of not answered questions.
It's not just about unanswered questions, it's about Bioware's commitment to their own stories.
Remember Haestrom's dying sun during Tali's recruitment mission in Mass Effect 2? That whole mission was built as this huge set up for something big. Why is it that this sun, which was perfectly normal a few centuries ago, now dying? What's causing it to die? It's a pretty big issue even when you're amongst the other Quarians during Tali's trail. When we finally get to Mass Effect 3, it's never brought up. In my head, what's worse? Reapers destroying advanced alien races, or all of our galaxy's suns just blanking out of existence?
Instead of bringing that plot point to the center stage and maybe tying it in with why the Reapers want us all dead, we instead get TRON zombies, Bob the Builder Reapers, a maybe alive Shepard, and a new, pedophile Buzz Aldrin-less cycle.
Also, I'm sure that all the races in the galaxy will be happy knowing that their primary neutral base that housed all of the advanced alien leaders is now in the possession of humanity. For a series that I praised for not putting humanity as the center of the universe, this new ending is just pompous.

oesat

Grip
Real Name
Mark Webber
You are right. This question comes to my mind to.
But as you said, BioWare has it own sense of telling stories.
If they don't want to tell it, you have to guess on your own or just freak out and blame BioWare.
I don't want to do both of it. I just try to forget. I'm not one of those who start crying because of a videogame, but my purse will, if the game is not statisfying.

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator
oesat said:
You are right. This question comes to my mind to.
But as you said, BioWare has it own sense of telling stories.
If they don't want to tell it, you have to guess on your own or just freak out and blame BioWare.
I don't mind if a studio or a particular writer has their own way of telling a story. What I do mind is that they're not "consistent" about it. Sure, you can try to be inconsistent for inconstency's sake, but look at all of those people involved with the original Mass Effect, and now with Mass Effect 3. Practically all the original writers are gone, the composers have been replaced and even certain characters have been recast. We went from a series that explored a new scifi universe where exploration and mystery solving and character growth were some of the highlights. In Mass Effect 3, the series has now been reduced to the most over used cliché since the existence of science fiction. We must save the Earth from alien invaders.
And if there's one thing I do not tolerate in stories such as Mass Effect 3 is introducing forced elements that amounts to nothing more than "pathos". Mass Effect 3 takes this pathos route to such a degree that it not only boggles the story down, but it also puts other, more essential characters into the corner. I of course am talking about the child from the opening. We don't know who he is, why Shepard is so keen on keeping him in his/her thoughts, or why that darn Catalyst decided to take his form in the end. What makes this such an intrusive addition to Mass Effect is that this child is now the most important character in Shepard's story. He's all Shepard ever dreams about and any semblance of remembering other characters who have died are pretty much reduced to voices in the background. How cool would it have been to have Shepard interact with the Virmire casualty in her dream instead of the kid, and depending on your moral stance they would either encourage you to keep going or say that it's hopeless. There is so much that could have been done with these sequences, but instead they decide to focus on this stupid child who is only crucial to Mass Effect 3 and is just there for pathos. The fact that more design went into him than Tali's actual face is very disappointing.
And while this is not an absolute statement regarding this issue, but I think the biggest misstep in ME3 was making this Shepard's story. Just to be clear that I know every Mass Effect game had Shepard in the leading role, but there was so much else involved in what was going on. For example, Mass Effect 2 was more about your crew than it was about Shepard. All of these characters go through their own story arcs and change depending on how you interacted with them. It was such a big part of the game that everything you did with the characters affected the ending. Shepard, while acting very cool and all, was still the same Shepard. She doesn't go through much change in that story.

JOHNCONNOR1sM3

Auditioning
Real Name
JOHN CONNOR
ALL HAIL THE GREATEST BOSS IN VIDEO GAMING HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MARAUDER SHIELDS WAS THE MOST DARING VILLAIN SINCE THOSE HUSKS WHO GlItChEd :confused: just saw a tranny playing with its balls (prostetic testies from she turned he) they fell out...... :P

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
$16 Standard $20 deluxe on amazon, PC download, requires the shitty Origin client:
http://www.amazon.com/Effect-Digital-Deluxe-Version-Download/dp/B0064TYRAU/ref=sr_1_2_title_0?t=slickdeals&tag=slickdeals&s=videogames-download&ie=UTF8&qid=1346166436&sr=1-2&keywords=Mass+Effect+3

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator
Sam Posten said:
$16 Standard $20 deluxe on amazon, PC download, requires the shitty Origin client:
http://www.amazon.com/Effect-Digital-Deluxe-Version-Download/dp/B0064TYRAU/ref=sr_1_2_title_0?t=slickdeals&tag=slickdeals&s=videogames-download&ie=UTF8&qid=1346166436&sr=1-2&keywords=Mass+Effect+3
Honestly, I'd say go buy Dragon Age. The first game feels like a trilogy in on itself and has a much better conclusion.
Also,
*SPOILERS!*
Leviathan adds a whole different level of stupidity by incorporating a new race called the Leviathans who created the Catalyst. At the end of the DLC, the Leviathans join forces with the galaxy in fighting the Reapers. The Leviathans can CONTROL and DESTROY Reapers pretty easily as evidenced in the DLC, nothing is changed during the final battle. The only time they're even referenced is when you chat with the Catalyst. And here's the kicker. It's all the Leviathan's fault that the Reapers were made. You see, they told the Catalyst to preserve life at all cost, which the Catalyst determined meant that we needed to be killed every 50,000 years since, you know, the created will always turn on the creators. Argh, geez. I can't believe they're burying Mass Effect in more crap like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks