Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Paramount to release "Hondo" on Blu-ray in June - No 3D?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 of 27 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,129 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted January 22 2012 - 12:54 PM

So Paramount has officially announced that Hondo comes to Blu-ray on June 5th. This would have been the perfect opportunity to introduce a 50's era 3D movie on Blu-ray 3D, yet apparently it's just going to be 2D. What a missed opportunity. I'd love to see films like this where the 3D photography gave added depth to the image without the gimmicks.

#2 of 27 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,450 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted January 22 2012 - 12:57 PM

Seconded.

#3 of 27 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted January 22 2012 - 01:03 PM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/ Hondo is one of the top 5 stereoscopic films ever made. The stereopsis is state-of-the-art, then or now. It is absolute madness in this day and age to release a 3-D film flat when the technology to see it in 3-D is everywhere. The least they could do is offer consumers a 3-D option on the menu. Perhaps no other classic 3-D film could usher in the acceptance of the 3-D medium in home video more. Paramount could start something, instead of keeping it status quo. http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

#4 of 27 Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,247 posts

Posted January 22 2012 - 01:24 PM

I wholeheartedly agree. The quality of the stereoscopic cinematography on HONDO is superb. Plus, it was intended for 1.75 widescreen and should not be released in 1.37.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Snipe_zpsa426c063.jpg

#5 of 27 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,323 posts

Posted January 22 2012 - 01:27 PM

As restored elements have already been produced, there is no heavy lifting here.

Really not even worth discussing without 3D.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#6 of 27 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,696 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 22 2012 - 02:17 PM

Add my name to the chorus of people who think it foolhardy indeed to not offer a 3D option for this film.

#7 of 27 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,080 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted January 22 2012 - 02:24 PM

Talk about a missed, totally bungled opportunity.
Infuriating.  We've been waiting for catalog 3Ds we know and love, AND WILL BUY ... for how long?

#8 of 27 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,466 posts

Posted January 22 2012 - 05:40 PM

Looks like Warner Home Video is the only company that is going to be attempting 3-D Blu-rays of catalog titles. Paramount, apparently, doesn't see a payoff in a 3D option in its classics. Indeed a lost opportunity.

#9 of 27 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,553 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted January 22 2012 - 06:55 PM

Maybe since the John Wayne Estate owns the title, Paramount does not have the authority to release the 3D version.  Or the Wayne Estate does no wish to pay for a transfer.  The late Michael Wayne was the one oversaw the work of the titles, it was his widow and Patrick Wayne that made the deal with Paramount.  Just a thought.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#10 of 27 David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,430 posts

Posted January 23 2012 - 02:54 AM

The release of Hondo (and other 50's 3D films) would probably drive me to actually have an interest in 3D television. Too bad they let this opportunity go by.

#11 of 27 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,696 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 23 2012 - 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by David_B_K 

The release of Hondo (and other 50's 3D films) would probably drive me to actually have an interest in 3D television. Too bad they let this opportunity go by.

We've been told that Warners has plans to release House of Wax and Dial'M' for Murder this year in 3D. Fingers crossed that this happens and is successful.

#12 of 27 Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr

Second Unit

• 326 posts

Posted January 23 2012 - 05:29 AM

If any representatives of Paramount were to read this, know I would have blind-purchased this title had 3D been an option. Now I'm not so inclined.

#13 of 27 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,080 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted January 23 2012 - 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Craig_Ehr 

If any representatives of Paramount were to read this, know I would have blind-purchased this title had 3D been an option. Now I'm not so inclined.

Same here.  No question.  It would have been an immediate buy.

#14 of 27 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,696 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 23 2012 - 08:23 AM

For me as well. Without 3D, probably a rental.

#15 of 27 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,175 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 23 2012 - 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by MattH. 

For me as well. Without 3D, probably a rental.

Not for me, it's one of my favorite Duke films and I've never seen it in 3-D and that includes about 10-15 viewings.  I understand why others are upset about the non-3D and though I would prefer that too, it's not a dealbreaker for me.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#16 of 27 Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,247 posts

Posted January 23 2012 - 09:46 AM

HONDO was conceived and photographed for 3-D, widescreen and color. We now have the capability of seeing it that way for the first time since the original theatrical release. Why settle for anything less? Bob

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Snipe_zpsa426c063.jpg

#17 of 27 Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,583 posts

Posted January 23 2012 - 11:43 AM

HONDO was conceived and photographed for 3-D, widescreen and color. We now have the capability of seeing it that way for the first time since the original theatrical release. Why settle for anything less? Bob

Exactly, Bob. The Amazon listing doesn't say if it's widescreen or not, but I have to guess it's the same full-frame format as the DVD. Too bad: no 3-D, no correct aspect ratio - this one's a pass. Why support a sub-par effort?
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#18 of 27 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,466 posts

Posted January 23 2012 - 11:46 AM

I'll probably pick this up when it gets on sale. It will still be an upgrade over the DVD and I haven't seen it in a long time.

#19 of 27 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted January 23 2012 - 12:33 PM

Maybe since the John Wayne Estate owns the title, Paramount does not have the authority to release the 3D version.  Or the Wayne Estate does not wish to pay for a transfer.  The late Michael Wayne was the one oversaw the work of the titles, it was his widow and Patrick Wayne that made the deal with Paramount.  Just a thought. 

You have a valid point. Gretchen Wayne, widow of Michael Wayne, is in charge of HONDO. She is not technology-oriented. My impression from speaking with her at the Academy screening in 2007 is that she was mis-informed of the facts about 3-D films and about HONDO in particular by digital 3-D companies who were competing for a theatrical distribution 3-D contract. It could have been screened in double-interlock at the Academy and at the DGA, instead she went with some unstable digital conversion, the details of which were kept proprietary, but it involved active shutter glasses with a red bias. It looked good on the screen, however. Bob Furmanek was in attendance that night. Double-interlock 35mm would have been a lot easier, and better quality. She may still be hoping for a theatrical release, or she may still be confused about how to convert the film. The elements are fine. There's nothing to be confused about. She should just let Paramount do a 3-D transfer, if they are willing, and not worry about it.

#20 of 27 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,323 posts

Posted January 23 2012 - 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Richard--W 

You have a valid point.
Gretchen Wayne, widow of Michael Wayne, is in charge of HONDO. She is not technology-oriented. My impression from speaking with her at the Academy screening in 2007 is that she was mis-informed of the facts about 3-D films and about HONDO in particular by digital 3-D companies who were competing for a theatrical distribution 3-D contract. It could have been screened in double-interlock at the Academy and at the DGA, instead she went with some unstable digital conversion, the details of which were kept proprietary, but it involved active shutter glasses with a red bias. It looked good on the screen, however. Bob Furmanek was in attendance that night. Double-interlock 35mm would have been a lot easier, and better quality. She may still be hoping for a theatrical release, or she may still be confused about how to convert the film. The elements are fine. There's nothing to be confused about. She should just let Paramount do a 3-D transfer, if they are willing, and not worry about it.

I was there with you that evening, also.

A thrilling event.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users