Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

Picnic Blu-ray Review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 of 74 OFFLINE   rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 863 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted January 27 2012 - 11:28 AM

Yes, I'm quite pleased with the PQ and AQ too. Did anyone else notice that Novak's character in Vertigo, as with this film, is from Salina, Kansas? Was the screenwriter (Samuel Taylor) for Vertigo possibly doing a tip of his hat to this film?

Yes, absolutely. Vertigo is my favorite film and Picnic is one of my favorites. People have speculated on this very point but I don't think there is any evidence about Taylor's intentions here. Actually, the town has a slightly different name on a newspaper, but the railroad setting is clearly Salina. BTW, there is also another actor (besides Kim Novak) who appears in both Picnic and Vertigo. Raymond Bailey, who plays Mr. Benson (Alan's father) also plays Scottie's doctor in Vertigo.

#62 of 74 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,853 posts

Posted January 27 2012 - 01:37 PM

Yes, absolutely. Vertigo is my favorite film and Picnic is one of my favorites. People have speculated on this very point but I don't think there is any evidence about Taylor's intentions here. Actually, the town has a slightly different name on a newspaper, but the railroad setting is clearly Salina. BTW, there is also another actor (besides Kim Novak) who appears in both Picnic and Vertigo. Raymond Bailey, who plays Mr. Benson (Alan's father) also plays Scottie's doctor in Vertigo.

Thanks! I think there is a connection there....I know this is going too far, but for a second to me it almost seemed like Vertigo was telling the story what might have happened to this person who escaped Salina, and then three years later...Just a thought.

#63 of 74 OFFLINE   PaulMSchneider

PaulMSchneider

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted January 28 2012 - 03:15 AM

Thanks! I think there is a connection there....I know this is going too far, but for a second to me it almost seemed like Vertigo was telling the story what might have happened to this person who escaped Salina, and then three years later...Just a thought.

If only she had said, "My name is Madge Owens. I'm from Salina, Kansas. Here is my driver's license!" That's very Twilight Zone. Actually, although several scenes were shot in Salina (they also used Halstead and Nickerson as primary locations), William Inge himself was from Independence, Kansas, and the Neewollah Festival takes place there. Yes, it's a real annual event. I'm guessing (a total guess) that this minor script change in Vertigo happened on-set and at the last minute. Her character is from a small town in the Midwest, and Kim herself or someone there probably suggested Salina as an insider's nod to Picnic. It doesn't sound like it could have been preplanned months in advance as part of the screenplay adaptation.

#64 of 74 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,141 posts

Posted September 05 2012 - 02:08 PM

I saved the movie to watch for Labor Day. I have the VHS copy in LB and of course the DVD that came out. Thank you Twilight for this movie!!!!!!!!!!!! The movie looks great buy buy buy anyone who is on the fenice trying to decide. I lwill not go into why I love this movie but those who do buy buy buy. How can we get Suddenly Last Summer in Blu???? The two later wonderful movies I play ever Labor Day Mark

#65 of 74 OFFLINE   rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 863 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted September 06 2012 - 07:50 AM

I just saw Picnic (Blu-ray) on Labor Day evening. Saw it just a few hours after seeing Vertigo at the Castro in SFO with a 70mm print. Kim Novak is one of the few survivors of both of these films. She should be very proud indeed of her work.

#66 of 74 OFFLINE   Filmgazer

Filmgazer

Agent

• 34 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted October 04 2012 - 07:42 PM

I just contacted Twilight Time to ask that very question! Since the SRP of their Blu-rays is so unusually high ($34.95, plus s&h), I asked them if they ever ran sales. They replied, "Unfortunately, not at this time". So, like you, I'm debating whether to fork-up the considerable cash for these attractive titles. From what I've read about "Picnic", "Bye, Bye Birdie" , and "Bell, Book and Candle" on this site and others, the discs seem to be of exceptional quality and well worth the price.

#67 of 74 OFFLINE   Filmgazer

Filmgazer

Agent

• 34 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted October 04 2012 - 07:52 PM

Thanks, Joe Caps, for that explanation. I'm curious about something that may have been discussed in other threads already. My apologies if it has. The Screen Archives price of $34.95 (before tax) plus $4.35 shipping is steep. Do they ever have sales? Is that a realistic expectation with a title like this? How has it been with previous "limited editions" via Twilight Time?

I just contacted Twilight Time to ask that very question! Since the SRP of their Blu-rays is so unusually high ($34.95, plus s&h), I asked them if they ever ran sales. They replied, "Unfortunately, not at this time". So, like you, I'm debating whether to fork-up the considerable cash for these attractive titles. From what I've read about "Picnic", "Bye, Bye Birdie" , and "Bell, Book and Candle" on this site and others, the discs seem to be of exceptional quality and well worth the price.

#68 of 74 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,373 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted October 05 2012 - 04:36 AM

Why do people keep saying 34.95? I think most of their discs, especially recently, come in at 29.98.

#69 of 74 OFFLINE   Twilight Time

Twilight Time

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted October 05 2012 - 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by haineshisway 

Why do people keep saying 34.95? I think most of their discs, especially recently, come in at 29.98.

Hey,BK--a few of the early Sony titles are priced at $34.95 -- Picnic, Pal Joey, Bite the Bullet, Bell, Book & Candle -- all other Blu-rays (including Fox titles) in the catalogue are $29.95, with the exception of the first, The Egyptian, which is $39.95 (and getting close to sold out.) When we first made our deal with Sony we agreed to experiment with 2 price-points -- $34.95 and $29.95 and would eventually settle on one. $29.95 has become the default studio-approved sweet spot, and most, going forward will be at that level. Rare exceptions include Major Dundee which will likely be $34.95 as it is a 2-Blu-ray set, with the restored version on one disc, and the original theatrical cut (never available on DVD) on the other.

Nick.

";s:7:"insider

#70 of 74 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,557 posts

Posted October 05 2012 - 05:50 AM

Rare exceptions include Major Dundee which will likely be $34.95 as it is a 2-Blu-ray set, with the restored version on one disc, and the original theatrical cut (never available on DVD) on the other. Nick.

Wow, I like the sound of that!

#71 of 74 ONLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted October 05 2012 - 11:01 AM

Major Dundee . . . . will likely be $34.95 as it is a 2-Blu-ray set, with the restored version on one disc, and the original theatrical cut (never available on DVD) on the other. Nick.

If Major Dundee is up to your usual standards, I'll buy it as soon as it's available . . . . even at $34.95!

#72 of 74 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,141 posts

Posted October 06 2012 - 07:36 AM

I just watched Bell Book And Candle last night and it was great. Fans who love this movie should buy it!!!!!!! Picnic the same which I watched on Labor Day fantastic and thank you TT!!!!!!!!!! Look forward to ordering my copy of Rains which I believe you said was Novemeber 13 or was that the shipping date? Love you guys and keep up the good work.

#73 of 74 OFFLINE   PaulMSchneider

PaulMSchneider

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted October 07 2012 - 10:18 AM

I'm thrilled to report that I threw caution to the wind and shelled out the hefty price tag with shipping for "Picnic," and I got my money's worth. The Blu-ray Disc transfer is outstanding in every way. Lightyears ahead of of the old DVD and any TV airings of the film I've seen. Scratches are at a bare minimum, detail is outstanding, contrast is excellent, and the color is terrific. At last, I can see exactly why this won an Oscar for Best Art Direction. The sound is robust, too, particularly when featuring the wonderful George Duning score. If you are on the fence about buying it, rest assured, the quality is first-rate.

#74 of 74 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,141 posts

Posted August 28 2014 - 01:07 PM

I shall begin my annual Labor Day movies this weekend.  I will start with the Maggie Smith version of Suddenly Last Summer which aired on PBS back in the 90s and came out on DVD under Maggie Smith at the BBC and then the Liz and Monty version which is my favorite ending on Labor Day with at least two viewings of Picnic.

Love that blu-ray restoration Nick and team did.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users