Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

Picnic Blu-ray Review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 of 73 TheVid

TheVid

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted January 23 2012 - 04:57 AM

This is a great blu-ray, and fans won't be disappointed. Too bad this doesn't have the overture that's on the laserdisc, because I like the way that great theme transitions into the sound of the train for the Columbia logo. Oh well. It's also true that the opening of the Decca soundtrack has that arrangement of the main theme (in mono) to start it off. It's one of the great soundtrack albums. I also have a Vocalian version from the UK, and surprisingly, the overture theme is in sweet stereo, so it's the cd version I prefer. I wonder how many other collector prints there are of movies that surpass what the studios can legitimately provide? I probably will regret hearing the answer! Could there actually be a THE BIG COUNTRY in stereophonic sound? Hahahahaha.

#22 of 73 David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,421 posts

Posted January 23 2012 - 05:19 AM

I'm curious about something that may have been discussed in other threads already. My apologies if it has. The Screen Archives price of $34.95 (before tax) plus $4.35 shipping is steep. Do they ever have sales? Is that a realistic expectation with a title like this? How has it been with previous "limited editions" via Twilight Time?

Thus far, they have not had sales. These early offerings from Twilight Time have been limited runs of about 3,000. Apparently such small runs do not give them a lot of margin to play with in terms of pricing. I have not yet bought any of their titles. At those prices, the title has to be a "must-have", and not a "nice to have", for me to buy. However, they have some coming up that will probably be must-haves for me in the future. If you see a title you like, you'd best pounce on it before they sell out. Fright Night and Mysterious Island sold out pretty fast. BTW, welcome aboard!

#23 of 73 rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 771 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted January 23 2012 - 05:38 AM

I wonder how many other collector prints there are of movies that surpass what the studios can legitimately provide? I probably will regret hearing the answer! Could there actually be a THE BIG COUNTRY in stereophonic sound? Hahahahaha.

Joe Caps has posted that he has actually seen two stereomagnetic prints of The Big Country in the hands of collectors.

#24 of 73 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,600 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted January 23 2012 - 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by haineshisway 

I can comment on the overture situation. To correct all this misinformation:

There was never an overture to Picnic. The overture on the laserdisc was created specifically by the ominously silent joecaps. It had nothing to do with any overture actually created for the film because the film at no time had an overture. The film had no roadshow engagements. It played exclusively for some weeks then went wide.

So, there would be no reason whatsoever for Twilight Time to include an overture that was never part of Picnic and that was created specifically for the laserdisc - which was not the only example of that being done on a Pioneer laserdisc.

I verifed the same via Twilight Time.

#25 of 73 Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Screenwriter

• 2,978 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted January 23 2012 - 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich 

Ditto.

Elsewhere, a discussion at Film Score Monthly states that the overture was recorded separately and was conducted by composer Duning. The actual film score was conducted by Morris Stoloff. It appears that the overture was created for the soundtrack album. It is unclear if it ever was used in a movie theater, but it is apparent that it was not part of the original theatrical release.

Rich Gallagher

#26 of 73 haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,024 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted January 23 2012 - 09:06 AM

With all due respect, I take things with much salt here. I have seen endless 35mm prints of Picnic, from the time of its release in its exclusive engagement to owning my own, and never ONCE has there been anything preceding the Columbia logo. This was not a roadshow film, it was a normal release. So, pardon if I remain ever the skeptic and that would certainly include some mysterious collectors who have stereo prints of The Big Country. :) And I also find it hard to believe that fifteen collectors handed over their prints at a time when doing so would have caused them nothing but grief. No, none of this rings true, I'm afraid.

#27 of 73 haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,024 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted January 23 2012 - 09:08 AM

Ditto. Elsewhere, a discussion at Film Score Monthly states that the overture was recorded separately and was conducted by composer Duning. The actual film score was conducted by Morris Stoloff. It appears that the overture was created for the soundtrack album. It is unclear if it ever was used in a movie theater, but it is apparent that it was not part of the original theatrical release.

Oh, why post facts? :)

#28 of 73 haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,024 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted January 23 2012 - 09:09 AM

Thus far, they have not had sales. These early offerings from Twilight Time have been limited runs of about 3,000. Apparently such small runs do not give them a lot of margin to play with in terms of pricing. I have not yet bought any of their titles. At those prices, the title has to be a "must-have", and not a "nice to have", for me to buy. However, they have some coming up that will probably be must-haves for me in the future. If you see a title you like, you'd best pounce on it before they sell out. Fright Night and Mysterious Island sold out pretty fast. BTW, welcome aboard!

I don't believe Mysterious Island has sold out, fast or otherwise, unless it's happened in the last week, and that would not exactly be fast. The only TT title to sell out was Fright Night and that one took four weeks.

#29 of 73 Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen

Second Unit

• 437 posts

Posted January 23 2012 - 09:14 AM

Talking about Overtures....Twilight Time DVD has just released ROOTS OF HEAVEN. Roots of Heaven had an Overture recorded and supposedly used for 'Premiere Showings.' It was a Roadshow release in NYC. Is the Overture on the Fox supplied Blu-ray of Roots of Heaven?

#30 of 73 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,121 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 23 2012 - 09:14 AM

Some good information being shared here to avoid a possible controversy over a fine BRD release.  I viewed this BRD today and was very happy with it.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#31 of 73 Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,931 posts

Posted January 23 2012 - 09:23 AM

The Roots of Heaven Overture was on the Fox Soundtrack LP. There are all kids of things only private collectors seems to have - Big Country instereo, Giant in Stereo and with Intermission and Intermission Music. Damn Yankees in stereo, Auntie Mame in stereo. A collectors prints ahs given us a nearly uncut South Pacific, which still has one scene missing. Collectors prints has come up with an uncut Raintree County.

#32 of 73 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,600 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted January 23 2012 - 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Richard Gallagher 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich 

Ditto.

Elsewhere, a discussion at Film Score Monthly states that the overture was recorded separately and was conducted by composer Duning. The actual film score was conducted by Morris Stoloff. It appears that the overture was created for the soundtrack album. It is unclear if it ever was used in a movie theater, but it is apparent that it was not part of the original theatrical release.

Thanks Rich!

#33 of 73 haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,024 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted January 23 2012 - 10:46 AM

Talking about Overtures....Twilight Time DVD has just released ROOTS OF HEAVEN. Roots of Heaven had an Overture recorded and supposedly used for 'Premiere Showings.' It was a Roadshow release in NYC. Is the Overture on the Fox supplied Blu-ray of Roots of Heaven?

Of course it isn't. Please provide sources that it was "supposedly" (a word I love) used for whatever premiere showing are. Also, please provide the source showing it was a roadshow release in NYC. If you are saying it played at Radio City, that doesn't make it a roadshow release at least as I define that term. If it didn't play Radio City, I'd love to see where it did play and see the word roadshow or reserved seats. Thanks. I also guess we should state again that just because an "overture" was created or used on a soundtrack album does not necessarily equate that it was also used for or with the film.

#34 of 73 Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen

Second Unit

• 437 posts

Posted January 23 2012 - 12:30 PM

Learned of the Roadshow release on the Roots of Heaven thread in this Forum. Besides the old Fox LP the newer Morgan and Stromberg recording included the Overture. I had previously read 'somewhere' that Malcom Arnold had composed the Overture per the instructions of Zanuck to be used for the premiere showings. http://greenbriarpic...ows.blogsot.com

#35 of 73 Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen

Second Unit

• 437 posts

Posted January 23 2012 - 12:36 PM

Of course it isn't. Please provide sources that it was "supposedly" (a word I love) used for whatever premiere showing are. Also, please provide the source showing it was a roadshow release in NYC. If you are saying it played at Radio City, that doesn't make it a roadshow release at least as I define that term. If it didn't play Radio City, I'd love to see where it did play and see the word roadshow or reserved seats. Thanks. I also guess we should state again that just because an "overture" was created or used on a soundtrack album does not necessarily equate that it was also used for or with the film.

Radio City to my recollection was not used as a Roadshow house. During the 50's and early 60's I saw many films together with their accompanying stage showings at Radio City. The RKO Palace where Roots of Heaven played was not a 'regular' Roadshow house but it did have Roadshow releases of Bridge on the River Kwai, Diary of Anne Frank, Judgment at Nuremberg as well as the 1969 rerelease of Ben-Hur.

#36 of 73 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,512 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted January 23 2012 - 03:57 PM

Cannot answer the Overture question but this ad should confirm a Roadshow Engagement of ROOTS OF HEAVEN at the RKO Palace in Times Square NYC.

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

With apologies to John McElwee. http://greenbriarpic...s.blogspot.com/

Back to PICNIC, I could easily believe that Columbia added an Overture for some LA and NY engagements to push the score for award nominations.  Warners added the song from THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY to it's LA showings in order for it to be nominated.  The song did not play any place else attached to the actual film and I think only for the two weeks needed in LA to qualify. 

I just finished downloading from Itunes the the Love Theme from the PICNIC soundtrack, which Joe C indicates was the Overture and I also grabbed a hold of THE ROOTS OF HEAVEN Overture.  Burned them to a CD and stuck them in the Blu-ray package. 

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#37 of 73 haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,024 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted January 23 2012 - 06:01 PM

Radio City to my recollection was not used as a Roadshow house. During the 50's and early 60's I saw many films together with their accompanying stage showings at Radio City. The RKO Palace where Roots of Heaven played was not a 'regular' Roadshow house but it did have Roadshow releases of Bridge on the River Kwai, Diary of Anne Frank, Judgment at Nuremberg as well as the 1969 rerelease of Ben-Hur.

Appreciate the info and also the ad from a hollis. Very unusual, especially given that the film was not well thought of and didn't do much business. I wonder if NY was its only roadshow engagement? I sure don't remember it playing to reserved seats in LA but I could be wrong. Picnic, at least as far as I know, never had that kind of engagement anywhere and certainly not in LA.

#38 of 73 Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,931 posts

Posted January 23 2012 - 07:20 PM

There is the impression that ANY film that has an Overture attached, need to be roadshow. Not so. Warners lasrdisn andnow dvd of High Society has an Overture - and that was certainly not roadshow..

#39 of 73 Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,770 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted January 23 2012 - 07:49 PM

I always enjoy reading information about roadshows. I don't know if THE NUN'S STORY played as a roadshow in NY or LA but it did in London. At the time I thought it was a bit of a rip-off, being in 35mm and not even in Cinemascope (in those days Cinemascope was used as a generic term for widescreen). It had an intermission but I don't recall any sort of overture.

#40 of 73 Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,931 posts

Posted January 23 2012 - 11:39 PM

Doug, Nuns Story did not have an intermission here in the states.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow