Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Underworld Awakening - quick review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,628 posts

Posted January 21 2012 - 01:10 PM

Kate Beckinsale returns to the 4th installment of the Underworld franchise after sitting out the 3rd installment, and unfortunately, it's basically a cash-grab exploiting the fans of the Underworld film series, and the film is no more than an exercise in staging repetitive fights between vamps and lycan, with nary a care given to the script for a coherent and engaging scripts, or developing characters, so it bereft of tension and interesting conflict. So it's all flash, and no substance. I give it 1.75 stars, or a grade of C-.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 3 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted January 27 2012 - 07:54 PM

Kate Beckinsale returns to the 4th installment of the Underworld franchise after sitting out the 3rd installment, and unfortunately, it's basically a cash-grab exploiting the fans of the Underworld film series, and the film is no more than an exercise in staging repetitive fights between vamps and lycan, with nary a care given to the script for a coherent and engaging scripts, or developing characters, so it bereft of tension and interesting conflict. So it's all flash, and no substance. I give it 1.75 stars, or a grade of C-.

I agree entirely that there is too much action in this new one - and it is ridiculous that nearly all the action takes place in the same location - but it did not feel like a cash grab to me. It felt like they just did not spend enough months developing the story and coming up with dramatic moments. If there had been three or four scenes with just character-building drama, it would be an excellent film. Without them, it is a bit thin, but it still has some almost-dramatic moments which suffice well enough. It's better than the second Underworld film. IMO the ranking from best to worst is now: 1,3,4,2. I don't think it is possible to "exploit the fans" by giving the fans another film, from the original writer/director, and with the original star. A cash grab would be a film with the Underworld title but with none of the people involved in the series originally cashing in on its reputation.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#3 of 3 Al_S

Al_S

Second Unit

• 452 posts

Posted January 31 2012 - 07:28 AM

I have to say I really liked this one. I saw it on an IMAX screen and other than it being really over the top loud it was quite enjoyable. It is what it is a good popcorn movie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users