Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Disney Treasure DVD (DL USA) apparently edited!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,820 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 21 2001 - 01:11 PM

I know folks have posted here with questions about whether Disney had made edits to some of the shorts on the Mickey in Color and Silly Symphony titles in this set, but I thought you might be surprised to know there appears to have been some edits made in the live TV shows which appear on the Disneyland USA DVD. Apparently in the show on the opening of DL in 1955, portions featuring the mouseketeers have been removed. They were removed from the parade segment and their performance of Talent Roundup in the Fantasyland section was removed. I do not yet own this disc (and I am not sure now that I want to) but apparently there is a point when Mickey & Minnie run up to the doors of the Fantasyland Theater and there is a fade to black. In the original production, they fling open the doors, the Mouseketeers run out and sing their song. I have learned from some of the other Disney sites I monitor (not the newsgroups) that portions of the program featuring the Enchanted Tiki Room have been edited as well. Either entire songs from the performance have been removed or sharply edited. Efforts are underway to do side-by-sides with some of the broadcasts as they have aired in the past on the Disney Channel, but there are lots of questions now since the running times seem to be far shorter than their original lengths. Some of the possibilities which are being discussed are copyright issues with the Tiki Room material and possibly a lawsuit that had been filed against the Disney company several years back by mousketeer Darlene Gillespie. It does seem a shame to present the material in an incomplete fashion, especially since it is advertised as "original and rare with never-before-seen footage".

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted December 21 2001 - 04:53 PM

Some of the missing footage could have been lost. We are talking about nearly 50-year old footage here.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,820 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 21 2001 - 08:01 PM

Nah. The WDC has everything its ever done over the years. This is just another example of Disney revisionism. This footage all exists because it still appears whenever these programs are shown on the Disney Channel (or, at least, DID use to appear). Some of this footage has been seen as recently as a few months ago. It has been seen several times over the years. It's too bad when there is some restoration and presentation work done with it--and released on a new format--that they take out their scissors and leave some of it on the cutting room floor--for whatever reason.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   John W L

John W L

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted December 22 2001 - 10:57 PM

I've surfed this site for 5-1/2 years but was finally persuaded to read the rules and join today because of deep concern and disappointment regarding the path Disney seems to be charging down. Yes, at least two of the shows are edited as you've suggested, Mike. I have the DVDs and I've taped them from the Disney Channel. Not only are they edited, a print of "Disneyland After Dark" decidedly inferior (faded colors, speckle, etc.) to the one usually shown on the Channel was used. Disney used to be (when these shows were made) the gold standard for theater and TV presentation and customer satisfaction. I hope a healthy number of complaints about this set will lead to better care when they release more treasures from their immaculate vaults. PS: Even though the back cover gives Sammy Davis Jr. second-billing as "entertainment," the fact you barely see him is not due to a cut. All he did in the original "Dateline: Disneyland" is ride by in a bumper car, which is all he does here. "Entertainment"?

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley

Second Unit

• 291 posts

Posted November 04 2002 - 02:53 PM

Bumping this topic back up (I have renewed interest)... did anyone ever to side-by-sides on the Disneyland USA set and figure out what, if anything, was specifically removed? I may be interested in throwing together a set of inserts for this collection (why not, right?), and any helpful reference or information regarding the edited material would be appreciated. Thanks, Steve
Walt Disney Treasures - Disney DVD Inserts

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Kajs

Kajs

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted November 04 2002 - 03:25 PM

The Mouseketeers performance in Dateline Disneyland, and I believe "Let's All Sing Like the Birdies Sing" from The Tiki Room, but there may be more than that song missing, and I really hate that "dont try this at home" subtitle during the fire guy's performance, could they of just put that before the feature?

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley

Second Unit

• 291 posts

Posted November 05 2002 - 08:03 AM

Thanks Kurt for the overview. I was wondering if anyone had more info/links to more specific references, such as what exactly was axed from the Mouseketeers (this thread seems to mention two instances). And I believe you are correct about the Tiki room stuff. If anyone else can chime in with stuff they've read about this, I'd appreciate it.
Walt Disney Treasures - Disney DVD Inserts

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Kajs

Kajs

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted November 05 2002 - 01:46 PM

The Mouseketeers may have been in the parade, I'm not entirely sure, but the Fantasyland opening has Mickey and Minnie waving to come to the Fantasyland Theatre then it fades out before the kids come out. I have both of these shows on tape, but I don't have a VCR currently...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users