-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

iPhone 5

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted January 20 2012 - 02:41 AM

Too early to start this? My two year plan is eligible for upgrade next month. I have the 4 so obviously I'm going to wait for the 5. I'm on the two year cycle where I miss the S versions and get the new ones. For me, I'm expecting a breakthrough device from the 5, similiar to what the 4 did to the 3's. I've seen plenty of rumors of a 4" screen. Even some screenshots of possible variations that remove the home button and has 5 apps in a row instead of 4 with the new screen size. Thoughts, rumors, wishes?

#2 of 5 Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,009 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted January 20 2012 - 04:49 PM

I will stay away from predictions and rumors and just go with my wishes (sorta).Posted Image

Not to beat a dead horse, but I really, really want a larger screen. Unfortunately, I doubt Apple will go as large as I would like. 4" seems to be the popular figure, probably because anything bigger would probably cause the iPhone to get larger than Apple would want. Personally, I would love a 4.5", or even larger screen.

If the screen size doesn't change, I would probably have a hard time staying with the iPhone. Although this will depend on what Android and Windows phones look like at the time.

4G/LTE or whatever would be nice as well. Everything else is just gravy.

I have actually considered dumping my iPhone and just going with a basic pay-as-you-go "feature" phone with the idea that I would carry around my iPad 2 all the time. However, the iPad is just large enough that this wouldn't be convenient. That being said, if Apple came out with a 7" or smaller iPad, I would definitely consider that idea again.

-Keith

As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#3 of 5 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,379 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted January 23 2012 - 12:56 PM

We're likely 6-9 months from the next iPhone, so not too early at all. The rumors will really get going with the launch of the iPad 3. :)

Originally Posted by Keith Plucker 

Not to beat a dead horse, but I really, really want a larger screen. Unfortunately, I doubt Apple will go as large as I would like. 4" seems to be the popular figure, probably because anything bigger would probably cause the iPhone to get larger than Apple would want. Personally, I would love a 4.5", or even larger screen.

There's an interesting argument that says Android phones will get smaller as 4G chips get more efficient.

http://daringfirebal...d_phones_bigger

I just want something awesome to buy, and Siri, when my 2 yr is up :)

#4 of 5 Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,009 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted January 24 2012 - 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF 

...There's an interesting argument that says Android phones will get smaller as 4G chips get more efficient.

http://daringfirebal...hones_bigger...

I suppose Android phones going larger because of the 1st gen 4G chipsets is a possibility however the first 4"+ screen Android phones were available before 4G was available and they had the same feature set as their smaller screen competitors at the time.

-Keith

As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#5 of 5 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,379 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted January 24 2012 - 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Keith Plucker 

I suppose Android phones going larger because of the 1st gen 4G chipsets is a possibility however the first 4"+ screen Android phones were available before 4G was available and they had the same feature set as their smaller screen competitors at the time.

-Keith

That's the immediate weakness with that article: I thought there were Android phones with larger (but lower res) screens before the iPhone 4.

But there seems to be a compelling argument that >4.5" correlates strongly to 4G.