What's new

iPhone 5 (1 Viewer)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Too early to start this? My two year plan is eligible for upgrade next month. I have the 4 so obviously I'm going to wait for the 5. I'm on the two year cycle where I miss the S versions and get the new ones. For me, I'm expecting a breakthrough device from the 5, similiar to what the 4 did to the 3's. I've seen plenty of rumors of a 4" screen. Even some screenshots of possible variations that remove the home button and has 5 apps in a row instead of 4 with the new screen size. Thoughts, rumors, wishes?

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I will stay away from predictions and rumors and just go with my wishes (sorta).

Not to beat a dead horse, but I really, really want a larger screen. Unfortunately, I doubt Apple will go as large as I would like. 4" seems to be the popular figure, probably because anything bigger would probably cause the iPhone to get larger than Apple would want. Personally, I would love a 4.5", or even larger screen.

If the screen size doesn't change, I would probably have a hard time staying with the iPhone. Although this will depend on what Android and Windows phones look like at the time.

4G/LTE or whatever would be nice as well. Everything else is just gravy.

I have actually considered dumping my iPhone and just going with a basic pay-as-you-go "feature" phone with the idea that I would carry around my iPad 2 all the time. However, the iPad is just large enough that this wouldn't be convenient. That being said, if Apple came out with a 7" or smaller iPad, I would definitely consider that idea again.

-Keith

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
We're likely 6-9 months from the next iPhone, so not too early at all. The rumors will really get going with the launch of the iPad 3. :)

Originally Posted by Keith Plucker

Not to beat a dead horse, but I really, really want a larger screen. Unfortunately, I doubt Apple will go as large as I would like. 4" seems to be the popular figure, probably because anything bigger would probably cause the iPhone to get larger than Apple would want. Personally, I would love a 4.5", or even larger screen.

There's an interesting argument that says Android phones will get smaller as 4G chips get more efficient.

http://daringfireball.net/2012/01/why_are_android_phones_bigger

I just want something awesome to buy, and Siri, when my 2 yr is up :)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Originally Posted by DaveF

...There's an interesting argument that says Android phones will get smaller as 4G chips get more efficient.

http://daringfireball.net/2012/01/why_are_android_phones_bigger...

I suppose Android phones going larger because of the 1st gen 4G chipsets is a possibility however the first 4"+ screen Android phones were available before 4G was available and they had the same feature set as their smaller screen competitors at the time.

-Keith

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Keith Plucker

I suppose Android phones going larger because of the 1st gen 4G chipsets is a possibility however the first 4"+ screen Android phones were available before 4G was available and they had the same feature set as their smaller screen competitors at the time.

-Keith

That's the immediate weakness with that article: I thought there were Android phones with larger (but lower res) screens before the iPhone 4.

But there seems to be a compelling argument that >4.5" correlates strongly to 4G.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks