60 replies to this topic

#1 of 61 ahollis

ahollis

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,133 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted January 19 2012 - 02:17 AM

Attached is a link to a Deadline Hollywood bit concerning the announcement that Hammer is partnering with Studio-Canal and others, including Warner, Fox and Paramount, to bring 30 of their classic films to Blu-ray.  Most excellent news and the announcement is a good read.

http://www.deadline....ry/#more-216967

Dracula, Prince of Darkness is first with a UK date in March.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#2 of 61 John Hodson

John Hodson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,340 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted January 19 2012 - 02:30 AM

Hammer's gone Blu-ray; Quatermass & The Pit, Paranoiac, Vampire Circus (to name but three already out there). I'm only hoping Sony, MGM, and Universal jump aboard this band-wagon.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#3 of 61 JoHud

JoHud

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted January 19 2012 - 02:35 AM

Looks like this upcoming Halloween season should see some of the fruits of this partnership. They say 30 titles in HD, but I doubt they will all be released in 2102. Even still, that's quite impressive and encouraging. I expect it to hit the UK sooner than North America. Hopefully, this leads some of the old OOP Anchor Bay released titles getting re-issued through Lionsgate.

#4 of 61 bgart13

bgart13

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted January 19 2012 - 04:59 AM

They've also started a restoration blog with more details: http://blog.hammerfilms.com/ Super happy I'm region free. Q&TP is one of, if not thee, best blu-rays in my collection. The details, colors and quality of the work therein is outstanding.

#5 of 61 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted January 19 2012 - 05:59 AM

They've also started a restoration blog with more details: http://blog.hammerfilms.com/ Super happy I'm region free. Q&TP is one of, if not thee, best blu-rays in my collection. The details, colors and quality of the work therein is outstanding.

Yeah, I can't wait for a US release. Do you have any recommendations for a good region free Blu-Ray player?

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#6 of 61 bgart13

bgart13

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted January 19 2012 - 06:40 AM

I've got a Sherwood bdp-5004 that plays every dvd and bd I've tossed at it. Have to change a code in the remote for some rb and r2 discs but it's easy enough.

#7 of 61 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted January 19 2012 - 06:59 AM

Thanks Ben.

housekeeping 2.jpg

#8 of 61 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted January 19 2012 - 07:03 AM

Yeah, I can't wait for a US release. Do you have any recommendations for a good region free Blu-Ray player?

I have two region and zone free Panasonic BD-60 players I bought from eBay. They work great. It's nice to never have to even consider the region or zone when buying favorites.

#9 of 61 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted January 19 2012 - 11:21 AM

I've lucked out so far with two UK Masters of Cinema BDs playing on my Panasonic BDT-107, and I'm tempted to give this one a try.  I don't wanna wait!

#10 of 61 Wade Sowers

Wade Sowers

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted January 19 2012 - 12:05 PM

For those among us without a Region Free machine, down among the comments on the blog they answer one poster (actually, the same question is asked by several posters) that hopefully they can announce a U.S. partner soon. I hope the operative word here is "soon" rather than "hopefully" .

#11 of 61 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted January 19 2012 - 01:12 PM

For those among us without a Region Free machine, down among the comments on the blog they answer one poster (actually, the same question is asked by several posters) that hopefully they can announce a U.S. partner soon. I hope the operative word here is "soon" rather than "hopefully" .

Good to know. I'll give them until the end of Feb. If they haven't made an annoucement by then, it's a region free player for me. I can't believe Dracula Prince Of Darkness is coming. The Anchor Bay release I own is pathetic. Non Anamorphic, lifeless transfer. I'm dying to see an HD remaster as it is one of my favorite Dracula(Hammer) films.

housekeeping 2.jpg

#12 of 61 marcco00

marcco00

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted January 19 2012 - 04:28 PM

wow.... 'the digital bits' website is also reporting that many more hammer titles are in the works for this year, then goes on to link to a bbc article-- http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-16629619 this is getting exciting, i hope they're released in america soon!!!!!

#13 of 61 Jim_K

Jim_K

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 10,089 posts

Posted January 19 2012 - 11:45 PM

Whoa....... the Hammer Horror mother lode!  Posted Image

I've got no excuse anymore to get a region free BD player after this bit of news.

No way am I waiting for US releases that may never come.

Death before Streaming!

#14 of 61 dana martin

dana martin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted January 22 2012 - 05:39 AM

BRING IT! been waiting on this for some time, wondering who is going to be the US distributor for the titles not controlled by WB, don't know if Anchor Bay still has the US distribution rights?

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#15 of 61 Derrick King

Derrick King

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted January 22 2012 - 08:21 AM

I think most, if not all, of the Hammer titles that Anchor Bay released belong to StudioCanal, so Lionsgate will probably be the US distributor.

#16 of 61 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,846 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted January 22 2012 - 09:59 AM

I just want Q and the Pit. I love that movie and just noticed that the original tv series is available on DVD at Amazon.

facebook.com/whotony

#17 of 61 John Hodson

John Hodson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,340 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted January 22 2012 - 10:46 AM

I just want Q and the Pit. I love that movie and just noticed that the original tv series is available on DVD at Amazon.

Yes, I love the film too and a fine screen adaptation it is (the BD is superb). But the TV series is actually *much* better.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#18 of 61 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,846 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted January 22 2012 - 10:55 AM

I watched it on VHS about 16 years ago so I don't remember. Plus it was a very poor quality recording.

facebook.com/whotony

#19 of 61 Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted January 22 2012 - 04:20 PM

The screen caps on the U.K. QUATERMASS AND THE PIT Blu-ray look amazing. I eagerly look forward an American release. I am also looking forward to THE DEVIL RIDES OUT on Blu-ray, as well as the more obvious Hammer classics.
Derek M. Germano
THE CINEMA LASER
2,000-plus Blu-ray & DVD reviews now playing...
http://www.thecinemalaser.com

#20 of 61 dpippel

dpippel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted January 23 2012 - 04:56 AM

Yes, please, let's get these great films released on Blu in the United States as well!!! Barring that how about region-free UK discs??? I am totally lusting after Quatermass and the Pit in HD. My old non-anamorphic DVD is anemic in comparison.

Careful man! There's a beverage here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users