Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Hammer Goes Blu-ray

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

HTF Premium Member

• 3,303 posts

Posted April 19 2012 - 04:38 AM

After purchasing a new display to replace my 5 year old Mits DLP with a failing Light Engine, I decided to update my Blu-ray source as well and picked up an Oppo BDP-93. And a region-free mod kit. *AND* (drum-roll) the Region B release of Quatermass and the Pit, which I screened last night.

Oh.My.God.

What a gorgeous transfer! Like many I've been stuck with the 1998 non-anamorphic Anchor Bay DVD release and have watched it at least a dozen times. The Studio Canal Blu-ray is an absolute revelation! Being a huge fan of the film, it was a major, major treat to experience it like this and was almost like seeing it again for the first time. Being able to pick this up ALMOST justifies the cash I dropped on the Oppo and the mod. Almost. Posted Image

I can only hope that this sees a Region A or region free release fairly soon, because the fans outside of Europe really have no idea what they're missing. MAJOR kudos to the people responsible for working on this wonderful disc. Highly, HIGHLY recommended!

I may just watch it again tonight. Posted Image

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,557 posts

Posted April 20 2012 - 02:08 AM

After purchasing a new display to replace my 5 year old Mits DLP with a failing Light Engine, I decided to update my Blu-ray source as well and picked up an Oppo BDP-93. And a region-free mod kit. *AND* (drum-roll) the Region B release of Quatermass and the Pit, which I screened last night. Oh.My.God. What a gorgeous transfer! Like many I've been stuck with the 1998 non-anamorphic Anchor Bay DVD release and have watched it at least a dozen times. The Studio Canal Blu-ray is an absolute revelation! Being a huge fan of the film, it was a major, major treat to experience it like this and was almost like seeing it again for the first time. Being able to pick this up ALMOST justifies the cash I dropped on the Oppo and the mod. Almost. :)

I did a similar thing. I upgraded to the Oppo BDP-93 last year. I also upgraded a Mits DLP to an LED this month. There are lots of good Region B releases to make the Oppo worthwhile. One word of caution: I tried playing one of my R2 PAL DVDs with the new setup last week and the playback was very jerky. By making some adjustments to the TV, I was able to make the jerkiness occur only every few seconds. Presumably, this jerkiness is framerate related. The "fix" turned out to be to set the Oppo to output PAL, and all was smooth. I may have to get Quatermass. It's been years since I saw it last, and I frankly did not expect to hear that the Blu-ray would be so impressive.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,750 posts

Posted April 20 2012 - 05:45 AM

I decided to update my Blu-ray source as well and picked up an Oppo BDP-93. And a region-free mod kit. *AND* (drum-roll) the Region B release of Quatermass and the Pit, which I screened last night.

You rule. I plan on doing the same thing when Dracula Prince Of Darkness get re-released.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

HTF Premium Member

• 3,303 posts

Posted April 20 2012 - 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B_K 

I did a similar thing. I upgraded to the Oppo BDP-93 last year. I also upgraded a Mits DLP to an LED this month. There are lots of good Region B releases to make the Oppo worthwhile. One word of caution: I tried playing one of my R2 PAL DVDs with the new setup last week and the playback was very jerky. By making some adjustments to the TV, I was able to make the jerkiness occur only every few seconds. Presumably, this jerkiness is framerate related. The "fix" turned out to be to set the Oppo to output PAL, and all was smooth.
I may have to get Quatermass. It's been years since I saw it last, and I frankly did not expect to hear that the Blu-ray would be so impressive.

It's well worth it.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

HTF Premium Member

• 3,303 posts

Posted April 20 2012 - 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan^H 

You rule. I plan on doing the same thing when Dracula Prince Of Darkness get re-released.

I'm looking forward to this as well.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Scott Calvert

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted June 29 2012 - 10:10 AM

Paging Bob Furmanek: Apparently the folks "restoring" The Curse Of Frankenstein are under the impression that it was photographed for 1:37 academy presentation. I am 99.99999% sure that this is incorrect as matted 1:66 presentations were standard in Europe in 1957. Here is their blog: http://blog.hammerfi...?p=135#comments

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,671 posts

Posted June 29 2012 - 12:53 PM

Thanks, Scott. It's at least 1.66:1 and was shown here in 1.85:1. I've already posted in that discussion on June 28. http://www.hometheat...10#post_3942715 http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users