What's new

Paramount Celebrates Centennial with contest and a PEEK at new Blu-rays on the way..... (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
PARAMOUNT HOME MEDIA DISTRIBUTION CELEBRATES THE STUDIO’S CENTENNIAL BY GIVING FANS A CHANCE TO VISIT EXCITING FILM LOCATIONS THROUGHOUT THE YEAR

Beginning In January, One Winner Each Month Will Receive A Fabulous Trip To A Destination Inspired By One Of Paramount’s Classic Movies*

HOLLYWOOD CA – Paramount Home Media Distribution (PHMD) announced today that it will launch a monthly sweepstakes beginning in January 2012 in honor of the studio’s centennial celebration. Sponsored by Delta Vacations, the sweepstakes will give consumers the chance to win roundtrip airfare and hotel accommodations for three nights in any of the 48 contiguous United States*.

Destinations may include cities inspired by some of Paramount’s classic films such as New York City where Francis Ford Coppola’s epic masterpiece The Godfather and the beloved classic Breakfast At Tiffany’s were filmed; Chicago, IL where Ferris Bueller had the best day off ever; San Antonio, TX, where the breathtaking drama Wings was filmed with a cast of thousands; or Hollywood, CA, setting and subject ofSunset Boulevard and home to countless film productions. Visitors to Paramount’s Facebook page—facebook.com/paramount—can enter every month throughout the year.

Each month, PHMD will release a classic film from the studio’s renowned library for the first time ever on Blu-ray™ under a monthly theme that celebrates Paramount’s rich cinematic history. The year-long program will begin with “Best Picture Winners” in January, led by the winner of the very first Academy Award® for Best Picture, the 1927 World War I drama Wings, debuting on January 24th. February’s theme will be “Love Stories” appropriately headlined by the unforgettable 1970 classic Love Story, which will make its Blu-ray debut on February 7th.

Additional titles scheduled to debut on Blu-ray include Alfred Hitchcock’s classic thriller To Catch A Thief on March 6th; the seminal neo-noir classic Chinatown on April 3rd; the hilarious comedy Clueless on May 1st; John Wayne’s gritty western Hondo on June 5th; the daring, futuristic adventure Barbarella on July 3rd; and the all-star comedy-mystery Clue on August 7th.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well, the list of newly-named titles left me underwhelmed. For Paramount comedies we get Clueless and Clue. Not Marx Brothers? Nor Road pictures (or other Hope or Crosby)? Nor Preston Sturges? I hope their next list is better David

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
1492 PLEASE! Also- RAGTIME- LOOKING FOR MR GOODBAR - ORDINARY PEOPLE and MARATHON MAN.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Clue is coming out on Blu-ray. I live in an amazing time. Since the actual Sunset Boulevard is one of the destinations in their sweepstakes, I hope they have plans to release the movie as well. Now if they would release the other five Friday The 13th movies in October, I'll really be happy.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
How about they release All of the rest of Audrey Hepburn's Paramount films All of The Elvis Films Hatari! Is Clue going to have special features?

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by David Weicker

Well, the list of newly-named titles left me underwhelmed.
For Paramount comedies we get Clueless and Clue. Not Marx Brothers? Nor Road pictures (or other Hope or Crosby)? Nor Preston Sturges?
I hope their next list is better
David

You'll have to ask Universal for all the titles you want on that list...they own those films now, not Paramount!!!

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Seeing that Clue is being released has just made my 2012!

I never tire of that film and watch it just about every year!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
LOL - 100 years of Paramount and we get Warner Brothers HONDO on Blu-ray. I think they need to look and see who made it. If they wanted to do a John Wayne title, I would have rather have THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER, HATARI, DONOVAN'S REEF, THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE or EL DORADO.

I also feel the same way about CLUELESS and CLUE as others do. Let's have SUNSET BOULEVARD, BLUE HAWAII, GUNFIGHT AT OK CORRAL and THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH.

You did a great job on WINGS, now how about THE COVERED WAGON.

I am happy that both Universal and Paramount are celebrating their 100 year anniversary with classic titles coming out on Blu-ray so I will satisfied with what we get, and not be upset at what could have been. At least both are ten times better than the Fox 75th anniversary. By the way where is the stand alone CAVALCADE and WILD RIVER? Fox do you hear us?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by ahollis

LOL - 100 years of Paramount and we get Warner Brothers HONDO on Blu-ray. I think they need to look and see who made it. If they wanted to do a John Wayne title, I would have rather have THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER, HATARI DONOVAN'S REEF, THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE or EL DORADO.

I also feel the same way about CLUELESS and CLUE as others do. Let's have SUNSET BOULEVARD, BLUE HAWAII, GUNFIGHT AT OK CORRAL and THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH.

You did a great job on WINGS, now how about THE COVERED WAGON.

I am happy that both Universal and Paramount are celebrating their 100 year anniversary with classic titles coming out on Blu-ray so I will satisfied with what we get, and not be upset at what could have been. At least both are ten times better than the Fox 75th anniversary. By the way where is the stand alone CAVALCADE and WILD RIVER? Fox do you hear us?

I get your point about who made Hondo, but in my opinion, I consider Hondo, one of the Duke's most underrated titles and I'm very happy to see it come out on BRD. Furthemore, I wouldn't be surprise to some of those other Wayne titles too. In comparison with those westerns, I consider Hondo a superior film except for The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

I get your point about who made Hondo, but in my opinion, I consider Hondo, one of the Duke's most underrated titles and I'm very happy to see it come out on BRD. Furthemore, I wouldn't be surprise to some of those other Wayne titles too. In comparison with those westerns, I consider Hondo a superior film except for The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy to see it coming, but being part of the 100 year Paramount Anniversary is a hoot. After all they only licensed the film about six years ago. You are right that it is one of his most underrated films and I agree with others it would be great if they also released it in 3D.

I have the same problem with MGM slapping their logo on a UA or AIP title acting like they were the ones responsible for the making the film. At least Universal has resisted releasing any of the Paramount titles as part of their 100 year Anniversary. Even though I would love to see Rear Window and Vertigo released this year on Blu. And maybe they will.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
David Weicker said:
Well, the list of newly-named titles left me underwhelmed. For Paramount comedies we get Clueless and Clue. Not Marx Brothers? Nor Road pictures (or other Hope or Crosby)? Nor Preston Sturges? I hope their next list is better David
Clue is one of my favorite movies so I'm happy! Doug

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Let me get this straight...

Universal is celebrating their 100th anniversary by repacking some evergreens and unleashing a movie a month from their vaults that we all want to buy.

Paramount is celebrating their 100th anniversary by repackaging ONE movie a month or releasing a good one once in a while.

I have a problem with this formula. Don't get me wrong, I LIKE a lot of the movies being pitched, but I do not feel the same "must own" compulsion on anything announced by Paramount so far the way I do with the Universals.

ahollis said:
LOL - 100 years of Paramount and we get Warner Brothers HONDO on Blu-ray.  I think they need to look and see who made it.  If they wanted to do a John Wayne title, I would have rather have THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER, HATARI, DONOVAN'S REEF, THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE or EL DORADO.  I also feel the same way about CLUELESS and CLUE as others do.  Let's have SUNSET BOULEVARD, BLUE HAWAII, GUNFIGHT AT OK CORRAL and THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH.  You did a great job on WINGS, now how about THE COVERED WAGON.  I am happy that both Universal and Paramount are celebrating their 100 year anniversary with classic titles coming out on Blu-ray so I will satisfied with what we get, and not be upset at what could have been.  At least both are ten times better than the Fox 75th anniversary.  By the way where is the stand alone CAVALCADE and WILD RIVER?  Fox do you hear us?
You are right about HONDO. Strange choice for Paramount. I would rather see the other Westerns you listed as well. SONS OF KATIE ELDER and OK CORRAL are two of my favorite films ...period...not just Westerns. Ditto on BLUE HAWAII (and G.I. BLUES, GIRLS, GIRLS, GIRLS, FUN IN ACAPULCO, and ROUSTABOUT for that matter).

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
I agree it seems strange to release Hondo as a celbratory edition. None the less, I'm happy that it is getting released no matter the reason :)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I don't mind film companies passing off other studio acquisitions as part of their own, especially if it means getting a classic out there. I'm sure Warner Bros. will include a few MGM releases during its next anniversary. Actually, I wish Universal would get some of its relatively stagnant Paramount holdings moving, especially since both company's are celebrating their 100th. Pretty much anything released in the old Paramount Centennial collections will get to blu-ray eventually, so El Dorado and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is assured. Heck, any Paramount-owned Wayne title is virtually guaranteed released, just a matter of when. While there are some fishy titles like Clueless included, it's still a far better anniversary that 20th Century Fox's, which seems to have only included blu-rays of The Sound of Music, The Alien Anthology, and a giganto box of re-released films on DVD with Cavalcade buried among them, and the Elia Kazan set with roughly 60-70% re-released DVDs. Oh, and a bunch of re-packaged DVD sets for Target and Wal-Mart shelves. It almost seemed like they didn't plan for the anniversary until the last minute.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks