• Please log in to reply
246 replies to this topic

#21 of 247 DaveHof

DaveHof

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted February 16 2012 - 04:19 PM

I agree, though there were some great performances tonight. Also, the whole 'vocal coach from Hell' bit - can I just say that her act is not colorful or funny? It's just mean, and it's counter-productive. These kids are not professionals, and they haven't joined the army. No one is going to get better from that kind of brow-beating.

#22 of 247 Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted February 16 2012 - 06:33 PM

Tonight's final cuts were especially cruel IMHO. But some need to learn to accept defeat with at least a modicum of dignity... like I do each year in the HTF AI Challenge. :cool:

#23 of 247 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,271 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 17 2012 - 01:41 AM

I am SURE it was merely a coincidence that J-Lo had to take a "phone call" while Steven and Randy were having an impromptu jam session with some of the contestants. :D The extra cuts of the day 1 people was a little weird. I missed the explanation due to watching the Celtics choke again. :( Overall, though, I think it's good that they replaced some of the audition shows with what amounts to another round (or two?) of Hollywood Week. Seems like a lot of hassle to bus everybody to Vegas, though.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#24 of 247 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,846 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted February 22 2012 - 01:29 PM

I doubt Heejun has a shot at winning this but he's my favorite contestant on this shown a long time. He is a riot. When he apologized to pretend Scotty country singer he apologizes to his Parents. On his way off the stage tonight hestuck his fingers through the eye holes of his prop glasses to rub his teared eyes. Love him hope he stays in it for awhile.

facebook.com/whotony

#25 of 247 Carl Miller

Carl Miller

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted February 22 2012 - 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyD 

I doubt Heejun has a shot at winning this but he's my favorite contestant on this shown a long time.
He is a riot. When he apologized to pretend Scotty country singer he apologizes to his Parents.
On his way off the stage tonight hestuck his fingers through the eye holes of his prop glasses to rub his teared eyes.
Love him hope he stays in it for awhile.

I agree Tony. He's got a really good sense of humor. On the other hand, I cannot stand that Phil Phillips guy. Randy again called him different and unique and it makes me nuts. The guy is a complete Dave Matthews wannabe clone in every way imaginable. The foot work when he plays, the way he holds his guitar, the faces he makes, the vocals. Is it possible they judges actually don't realize this?

Carl

#26 of 247 Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted February 22 2012 - 04:12 PM

damn .... haven't used the DVR's skip button so much since XFactor ... watched the 2 hours in just under a half hour total.. :rolleyes:.

#27 of 247 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted February 23 2012 - 03:37 AM

Sheesh, they're really milking the "final judgment" for as long as they can, two episodes (are both 2 hours, or is tomorrow's just 1?) to 'announce' a final 24?  They could easily have breezed through that in 1 hour.  But I guess they have to "fill" this week, so next week's format is performance/results, or even two performance shows and one result show.

Just a reminder, this year's challenge is up and running, at the link below, expressions of interest in participating, by way of posting your placeholder in the thread, are welcomed!  As RAF used to say, "you've got to be in it to win it!"

http://www.hometheat...ge#post_3896266

#28 of 247 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,271 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 23 2012 - 03:47 AM

I knew Phil Phillips reminded me of someone! Missed the show again due to another Celtics choke job. Sigh. . .
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#29 of 247 Carl Miller

Carl Miller

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted February 29 2012 - 12:59 PM

Randy finally said it last night....Phillips reminds him of Dave Matthews. Duh.

It was pretty strange how so many of the guys chose songs done by women. I don't get that.

Carl

#30 of 247 Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted February 29 2012 - 06:05 PM

So far, this year has been one of my least favorite years. By this time last year, I already had chosen my favorites and still remember them: Scotty, Casey, James, Jacob and Lauren. I'm not sure how much success any of the others have had besides Scotty (which has only sold a bit more than 500,000 or so records) but I would still by a record from the other guys. This year though, not even a bit of interest to this point and don't know hardly any names still. For those that don't get EW magazine, they had a great articles a week or two ago about American Idol VS The Voice which I tend to agree with. They said that AI wants to market, thus you get only the good looking winners which also tend to be the younger contestants too. Look at what happened to Jennifer Hudson, they show turned her down essentially and the young viewers did too. But she got exposure and America as a whole that may not watch AI at all was totally different and embraced her fully. This is why I think AI has ran its course, especially the prime years and will keep losing ground. I tend to like shows more like The Voice since you can find a Susan Boyle in the group and to me AI is almost a parody of itself now.

#31 of 247 Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted February 29 2012 - 06:33 PM

AI is still loads better than XFactor ... and the voice ... just my opinion. That Skylar country chick blasted tonight.

#32 of 247 Spero D

Spero D

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted February 29 2012 - 07:40 PM

Hollie Cavanagh -- Reflection was one of my favourites. Dont know what the judges were smoking with their critiques/faint praise of her compared to the others....

#33 of 247 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Advanced Member

• 37,399 posts

Posted March 01 2012 - 04:54 AM

Hollie Cavanaugh sounded horrible in her performance. Maybe it sounded better in their venue, but not to my ears from the broadcast.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#34 of 247 Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted March 01 2012 - 07:00 AM

I thought Hollie was easily the best of the night, followed by Elise and Jen.  I thought Jessica was completely overrated by the judges, and would place her in the middle of the pack.

#35 of 247 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Advanced Member

• 37,399 posts

Posted March 01 2012 - 07:13 AM

There is a Holly and a Hollie, I didn't mind Holly (Day), but didn't care for Hollie Cavanaugh.

#36 of 247 Hanson

Hanson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted March 01 2012 - 07:25 AM

Actually, it's Hallie Day.  So it's a Hallie, a Hollie, and a Haley.

The newest AI Blog is up.

#37 of 247 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Advanced Member

• 37,399 posts

Posted March 01 2012 - 10:20 AM

Cripes! No wonder I get them confused as well (not visually, just the spelling of their names).

#38 of 247 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,846 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 01 2012 - 01:19 PM

Jeez this episode had been on for 1:15 with no end in site

facebook.com/whotony

#39 of 247 Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted March 01 2012 - 03:59 PM

There is a Holly and a Hollie, I didn't mind Holly (Day), but didn't care for Hollie Cavanaugh.

Well, I'm just the opposite, I think Hollie Cavanaugh is MUCH better and sweet compared to the other Holly.

#40 of 247 DaveHof

DaveHof

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted March 01 2012 - 04:42 PM

So much over-singing with some of these contestants. I'm afraid they're going to start busting blood vessels up there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users