• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
246 replies to this topic

#1 of 247 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Advanced Member

• 37,408 posts

Posted January 18 2012 - 03:03 AM

American Idol is back tonight for its 11th season. Steven Tyler, Jennifer Lopez, and Randy Jackson return as the judges, along with Seacrest as the host. Here's hoping they can find some good contemporary, or rocker talent, sort of tired of the country side of things on this show. We get a few audition episodes to slog through for the first few weeks. There's even an audition episode this Sunday after the NFC Championship game. Craziness!
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 247 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,848 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted January 18 2012 - 11:38 AM

Bittersweet.

facebook.com/whotony

#3 of 247 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,848 posts

Posted January 18 2012 - 11:38 AM

I'll be watching. Wife likes it so I watch along with her.

facebook.com/whotony

#4 of 247 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 18 2012 - 01:19 PM

I had to go put Junior to bed just before TentInTheWoods sang. PLEASE tell me she got through!
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#5 of 247 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,848 posts

Posted January 18 2012 - 01:21 PM

Yes.

facebook.com/whotony

#6 of 247 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 18 2012 - 02:01 PM

Woohoo! :)
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#7 of 247 Carl Miller

Carl Miller

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted January 18 2012 - 02:25 PM

I still enjoy AI, flaws and all. But the comments about the last guy who auditioned just made me shake my head. Jennifer Lopez said he had a James Brown thing because of how he moved his feet. Randy called the guy new and different and fresh. My wife and I called him a Dave Matthews clone. C'mon now. The judges can't be that out of touch not to realize the guy was completely copying Dave Matthews in every possible way imaginable.

Carl

#8 of 247 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Advanced Member

• 37,408 posts

Posted January 19 2012 - 02:43 PM

Philip is like a taller, handsomer version of Casey from last season, but unremarkable voice. Brittany is flat-out HOT!

#9 of 247 DaveHof

DaveHof

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted January 19 2012 - 03:32 PM

I've been pleasantly amazed by the number of golden-ticket winners they're showing from the open auditions. So much better than the parade of morons in costumes and deluded publicity-seekers who are only there to call attention to themselves.

#10 of 247 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Advanced Member

• 37,408 posts

Posted January 19 2012 - 04:52 PM

I think they are aiming to give out 1,000 golden tickets this season, it's been a really low bar for the talent so far. No one has really knocked my socks off yet.

#11 of 247 Albert_M

Albert_M

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted January 20 2012 - 06:46 AM

I don't think that there are more tickets - they are just showing more. The producers are obviously going for more of that angle this time. They've cut down on the awful singers, which let's face it, has had diminishing returns for some time now.

#12 of 247 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,324 posts

Posted January 27 2012 - 06:39 PM

I initially also thought that the producers were showing less 'conflict' between the judges: almost all decisions shown are unanimous.  Curiously, they then played up the dissent in Galveston by showing three girls being rejected by the two men, while J.Lo wanted to put them through.  Ironically, one of them was Miss Houston 2011, whom surely Steven Tyler would/should have voted for, yet he didn't, and I thought the choir teacher was actually quite good too.

Anyway, for the more die-hard fans of the show, you might might recall that for last season's AI Challenge, I stepped in to help Robert organize it.  I had hoped it would be temporary and he'd be back running it, but that's clearly not to be.  That being the case, after clearing it with Adam, I'll be taking up the flag again this year.

So look out for the challenge thread, which I'll be starting when we're a bit closer to the Final 12 being finalised, but in the meantime start picking your favourites!

#13 of 247 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 02 2012 - 01:30 AM

Thanks for taking over, Yee-Ming. Shall we officially call it the "Annual RAF Memorial HTF Idol Challenge?" :)

#14 of 247 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Advanced Member

• 37,408 posts

Posted February 02 2012 - 02:10 AM

The Portland episode was fairly terrible, no solid talent who's going to the top 12.

#15 of 247 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,324 posts

Posted February 03 2012 - 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman 

Thanks for taking over, Yee-Ming. Shall we officially call it the "Annual RAF Memorial HTF Idol Challenge?" Posted Image

That was absolutely my thought, but I didn't want to presume everybody else would be on board with the idea.

Is it just me, or does there seem to be less interest in Idol this year?  We haven't seen anything from Hanson yet, for instance, and a number of other regulars from past years haven't chimed in either.

Anyway, now that auditions are over, can anyone tell me what date we'd expect to reach the Final 12 show?  That would be the cut-off date for participation in the RAF Memorial Idol Challenge (heh, has a nice ring to it!) and I'll need to post that in the thread.

#16 of 247 Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted February 05 2012 - 09:30 AM

That was absolutely my thought, but I didn't want to presume everybody else would be on board with the idea. Is it just me, or does there seem to be less interest in Idol this year?  We haven't seen anything from Hanson yet, for instance, and a number of other regulars from past years haven't chimed in either.   Anyway, now that auditions are over, can anyone tell me what date we'd expect to reach the Final 12 show?  That would be the cut-off date for participation in the RAF Memorial Idol Challenge (heh, has a nice ring to it!) and I'll need to post that in the thread.

First, I don't think Idol has any real standouts for me so far, unlike in years past where I already had some chosen to keep an eye on. Second, it tends to be the same people posting here not just for Idol, but other shows as well. This site does not come close to having good traffic and is a very low sample from just a select few. That's because there are several other sites that have HUGE amounts of traffic now for show chats such as Idol and interaction with others you know (Twitter, Facebook, etc.) Third, I wouldn't mind seeing another Idol challenge since I was close last year until the whole Haley-Pia happening, but not that excited for this season right now.

#17 of 247 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 06 2012 - 07:40 AM

We are an elite few! :)

#18 of 247 Stan

Stan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts

Posted February 06 2012 - 04:45 PM

You are definitely an elite few. Grew tired of this show years ago and I believe the audience numbers agree with me. Simon tried to morph it into X-Factor, but I also see that isn't really turning out very successful. Simon has made truckloads of money, time to fade away with a little bit of dignity let. Then again, he never had any dignity, maybe better to say fade away like the rude, crude ass he is.
Stan

#19 of 247 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,324 posts

Posted February 10 2012 - 06:20 PM

For the die-hard fans, please refer to this thread for this year's "2012 American Idol HTF RAF Memorial Challenge"!

http://www.hometheat...ge#post_3896266

As for the start of Hollywood week, they sure milked poor Symone's little mishap for all that it was worth.  At least she made it to the next round, though.

#20 of 247 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,848 posts

Posted February 16 2012 - 02:04 PM

Tonight's ep left a bad taste in my mouth. It felt too long. Maybe it should have been two nights. I really didn't like how they made everyone think they were going to the next round, top 40. Seemed really cruel to let them all think they were through, then tell them, oh by the way tomorrow some of you will still get voted out even though you won't be performing tomorrow. Felt dirty pool to me.

facebook.com/whotony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users