• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• PipPipPip
  • 7,208 posts

Posted January 18 2012 - 01:49 AM

One might call J.J. Abrams' Super 8 a "sweet little film," about the travails of a group of young teens, and the mysterious goings on in their mid-america town.

Except that the film is huge, with a reported fifty million dollar budget, and a cast of thousands, beautifully led by 13 year old Elle Fanning.

With obvious connections toward E.T., here's a 111 minute film that's non-stop and packed with excitement, as would befit a summer crowd pleaser.

Having been derived from a DI, the resultant Blu-ray should be perfect, and this one is, with gorgeous images, and a soundtrack that will clean the lint from speakers, and potentially be a lease-breaker for those who share walls with others.

Super 8, with a wonderful young cast, is great fun.  I viewed it last evening (finally) with a friend who has occasional SoD problems, and even he got into it.

Just a wonderful Blu-ray.

Recommended.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 10 dmiller68

dmiller68

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted January 18 2012 - 02:26 AM

I agree one hundred percent. I enjoyed the this movie very much. Great acting and casting.

Equipment: Panasonic TC-P65VT25, Panasonic DMP-BDT100, Pioneer Elite SC-37, TiVo Premiere XL, Limited Edition MW3 XBOX 360s with Kinect, Apple TV
Speakers: Definitive Technology Mythos XTR60 (3), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR20BP (4), Definitive Technology SuperCube II

#3 of 10 AL KUENSTER

AL KUENSTER

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted January 18 2012 - 04:09 AM

I also agree with Robert, I enjoyed this one with reference audio and video.
Al Kuenster

#4 of 10 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted January 18 2012 - 04:21 AM

I liked the film a lot too, but the overuse of lens flare (like the Star Trek movie) really bugs me. It seems pointless and distracting.

#5 of 10 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted January 18 2012 - 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by John Hermes 

I liked the film a lot too, but the overuse of lens flare (like the Star Trek movie) really bugs me. It seems pointless and distracting.

Seconded.

#6 of 10 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Advanced Member

• 14,399 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted January 18 2012 - 05:23 AM

I watched this over Christmas and really enjoyed the film itself, not to mention the AV quality.  Neil in addition to reviewing the disc had the opportunity to talk to Michael Giacchino the academy award winning composer.

#7 of 10 PaulDA

PaulDA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted January 18 2012 - 10:04 AM

I felt like I was watching my old gang. I was the exact age of the main character in the year the film is set and my home town, while not identical, shared a lot of characteristics with the one in the film. Will definitely be in my collection.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#8 of 10 SD_Brian

SD_Brian

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted January 20 2012 - 01:10 PM

I mostly enjoyed the movie (The third act was pretty sloppy) although it felt very much like a Steven Spielberg-produced homage to...Steven Spielberg. :rolleyes:

#9 of 10 Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Advanced Member

• 2,057 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted January 21 2012 - 06:51 AM

The film reminded me of my childhood, when I made films with my buddies during summer break. A great trip down memory lane!!

#10 of 10 daleh

daleh

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted February 03 2012 - 09:44 PM

I actually waited to see this in the dollar theater like most of the movies that I watched in the '80s. This and Lincoln Lawyer. The lens flares are a lot less distracting in that environment... I'm glad that I saw it in that environment before seeing the blu ray. The blu ray is beautiful, too beautiful.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users