Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Question on Rollercoaster 1977, Two-Minute Warning 1976, and The Hindenburg 1975

Universal

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 of 71 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 783 posts

Posted August 13 2012 - 09:38 AM

Personally, I thought the Skyjacked DVD that Warner put out a couple of years ago looked fantastic. Not quite sure what Blu will bring to the table since it was always a grainy pic to begin with. Seems like there's more opportunity for harm than good on that one.

#62 of 71 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 13 2012 - 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnitoil /t/317783/question-on-rollercoaster-1977-two-minute-warning-1976-and-the-hindenburg-1975/60#post_3961714 Personally, I thought the Skyjacked DVD that Warner put out a couple of years ago looked fantastic. Not quite sure what Blu will bring to the table since it was always a grainy pic to begin with. Seems like there's more opportunity for harm than good on that one.
  Blu ray will handle the film grain better than DVD and it should be more film like if treated correctly.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#63 of 71 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 783 posts

Posted August 14 2012 - 04:12 AM

Blu ray will handle the film grain better than DVD and it should be more film like if treated correctly.
I certainly appreciate that it can be better, just suggesting that it can also be worse. Goodness knows there are plenty of titles out there as evidence.

#64 of 71 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,333 posts

Posted June 24 2013 - 05:48 PM

Another mindboggling must read from William Wilson, this time on the TV version of THE CONCORDE: AIRPORT 79, which aired in 1982. Unbelievable...http://originalvidju...592307008201794

#65 of 71 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,648 posts

Posted June 25 2013 - 11:03 AM

Susan Sullivan was never in the original theatrical version of Midway. She was added to the expanded TV version as well as some re-used midway battle footage passed off as the battle of Coral Sea.

Excellent and in depth article. I remember seeing this version as late as the early 2000s on cable. There had to be some substantial costs involved in this reworking. You would think Bluray was made for this where both versions could be on one disc. Besides this and EARTHQUAKE....was MIDWAY reworked for television with Susan Sullivan's role reinstated.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

#66 of 71 OFFLINE   FrancisP

FrancisP

Screenwriter

• 1,115 posts

Posted July 01 2013 - 05:31 PM

I have seen the tv versions of Midway and Earthquake so much that the tv versions are the movie versions to me. I wish they would give us the option of the movie or tv version. You would think that with all the space on a blu-ray and not a huge amount of extras that there would be plenty of room for both.

#67 of 71 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,333 posts

Posted July 02 2013 - 03:33 PM

EARTHQUAKE, in particular, plays a lot better without all the TV-added fodder, but I get where you're coming from. That said, the TV stuff was filmed 1:37:1, correct, so it wouldn't exactly mesh with the rest in its OAR, unless you wanted the entire presentation to be pan/scan/full-frame. 

#68 of 71 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 02 2013 - 03:39 PM

EARTHQUAKE, in particular, plays a lot better without all the TV-added fodder, but I get where you're coming from. That said, the TV stuff was filmed 1:37:1, correct, so it wouldn't exactly mesh with the rest in its OAR, unless you wanted the entire presentation to be pan/scan/full-frame. 

Did they shoot using the same 35mm cameras, if so then surely they can present them widescreen if the original negative exists of the newly shot footage, i understand NBC did this two years after the film wrapped and the director hated the new footage.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#69 of 71 OFFLINE   David Steigman

David Steigman

Supporting Actor

• 566 posts

Posted July 02 2013 - 04:58 PM

Ive been really tempted to get the Painted Veil but my blind buying hasnt been really successful lately. Is this any good , any film that it is similar to ? 

#70 of 71 OFFLINE   FrancisP

FrancisP

Screenwriter

• 1,115 posts

Posted July 02 2013 - 07:25 PM

I could go either way. Either offer the pan and scan tv version or cut the tv footage in with the movie footage. Earthquake does have an interesting scene where a airplane lands right when the earthquake hits. The pilots then have to take off again when the runway breaks up. that would seem to fit in with the multiple disasters depicted in the film.

#71 of 71 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted November 18 2013 - 11:55 AM

Watching two minute on max in HD at the moment. Looks pretty good. And first time I've seen it uncut since the 70's. saw it with my dad back in the theaters then. Scared the hell out of me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users