What's new

The Three Stooges Ultimate Collection, March 27 (1 Viewer)

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Has there been any update on the bonus material being released separately yet?
Sony.....oh Sony....can you hear us?

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
Nothing that I've seen. In fact, their announcement on Facebook from February about a separate release looks like it has been removed.
But...
bestbuy.com currently has a $44.99 pre-order on this thing. And shipping is free.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Three+Stooges%3A+Ultimate+Collection+(20pc)+-+Subtitle+-+DVD/5423499.p?id=2381893&skuId=5423499&st=Three%20Stooges:%20Ultimate%20Collection&lp=1&cp=1

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
rdf8585 said:
Nothing that I've seen. In fact, their announcement on Facebook from February about a separate release looks like it has been removed.
But...
bestbuy.com currently has a $44.99 pre-order on this thing. And shipping is free.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Three+Stooges%3A+Ultimate+Collection+(20pc)+-+Subtitle+-+DVD/5423499.p?id=2381893&skuId=5423499&st=Three%20Stooges:%20Ultimate%20Collection&lp=1&cp=1
Wow! Amazon's price jumped up $20 the other day after I had placed it in my cart. I just placed my order with BB for a grand total of $48 and some change. I'll easily be able sell off my current volumes for $5 each at a local establishment and now have the additional discs for a few bucks.....maybe even for free if I can get $6 each.
Thanks for the tip!:D

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Hah! Paid $100 a few months back thinking I was getting a deal, but that Best Buy price is nuts, especially for a preorder. Sold my original collection on Ebay for ~$70 so no complaints, but even now it shouldn't be hard to trade in the original volumes in at a profit compared to a $45 complete set!

MikeDE

Second Unit
Thanks for all the info on this set and the Best Buy link. Mine is pre-ordered now, and I'll also take the original sets to a local place to sell. Great deal and more reasons to keep up on the forum!
Mike

Timedye

Auditioning
Real Name
James
I pre-ordered this set on Amazon.com back in March, and it shipped last night. I was really happy to discover the price had at some point dropped to $70, which seems a perfectly reasonable price to pay for 20 discs of my favorite comedy trio. :D I lucked out, really: rather than buy them one at a time, I'd been waiting for a set like this. Once I get the new theatrical film on Blu-ray -- which I really enjoyed, I admit -- my collection will more-or-less be complete. I need to get the Three Stooges cartoons, I don't have any of those yet.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I should be getting mine via FedEx today.
Edit: Nevermind, looks like it got delayed to a delivery tomorrow

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I just picked mine up at Best Buy. Here are my immediate observations.
  • The first thing I noticed was that Best Buy's regular price for this product is $69 as was clearly labeled on the front of the package. I don't understand why the range of prices on this is so dramatic, but I got mine for an extremely good price so I'm not going to waste any more effort trying to understand it.
  • The next thing I noticed was that the box is really not a shelf box, but merely a box. You could put it on your shelf, but it would mean opening up the box from the top and then attempting to pull out the volume that you wanted from a rather tricky angle. It looks like the outer box will end up in the garbage.
  • After opening the box I noticed that the bonus set was in a single disc plastic case, so it does not fit aesthetically with the rest of the volumes. A minor disappoint at worst.
  • The extra volume clearly labels the contents on the back of the disc and states three discs, so I was stunned when I opened the case and found only one disc. It took me about 20 seconds to realize that there were 3 discs stacked directly on top of each other. I don't ever recall seeing packaging of this nature except in a bootleg TV set that I purchased years ago. I'm going to have to figure out another method of storing these discs. I vaguely recall having some single wide cases that fit 3 discs (1 on either side of flapper and the third in the back tray. The good news is that I could see no visible damage on any of the discs.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Hey Eric, if you buy some of those Echo Bridge collections like Starhunter The Complete Series and I reckon their Lexx and 3rd Rock from the Sun, they are in similar cases. These are bargain basement 5 dollar seasons of tv show sets.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Eric Peterson said:
[*] The extra volume clearly labels the contents on the back of the disc and states three discs, so I was stunned when I opened the case and found only one disc. It took me about 20 seconds to realize that there were 3 discs stacked directly on top of each other. I don't ever recall seeing packaging of this nature except in a bootleg TV set that I purchased years ago. I'm going to have to figure out another method of storing these discs. I vaguely recall having some single wide cases that fit 3 discs (1 on either side of flapper and the third in the back tray. The good news is that I could see no visible damage on any of the discs.
A single case w/ a flapper or two would be my best bet as well. Looks like I'll have to invest in one while keeping them in two additional extra keep cases in the mean time. I agree, it really is quite shocking. Hopefully the discs are secure and there was no scratching.

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
Something like this should solve packaging issues for the bonus discs - http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Premium-14mm-Black-Triple-with-Tray-Multi-3-Discs-load-DVD-CD-R-Case-Box?item=300638556463&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8937984167430172118#ht_1264wt_1163

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
rdf8585 said:
That's exactly what I was envisioning. I'm thinking that I may have one of those laying around in the basement. I'll have to spend some time hunting this weekend.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Eric Peterson said:
The extra volume clearly labels the contents on the back of the disc and states three discs, so I was stunned when I opened the case and found only one disc. It took me about 20 seconds to realize that there were 3 discs stacked directly on top of each other. I don't ever recall seeing packaging of this nature except in a bootleg TV set that I purchased years ago. I'm going to have to figure out another method of storing these discs. I vaguely recall having some single wide cases that fit 3 discs (1 on either side of flapper and the third in the back tray. The good news is that I could see no visible damage on any of the discs.
TCM does this with their "Greatest Classic Films" budget sets, and it's really bad. You're very lucky none of your discs were scratched.
I hope these bonus discs won't be packaged that way as a standalone item.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
rdf8585 said:
What a coincidence! I just bought that very Ebay item last night after I heard the not-so-peasant news.
Edit: Got the box set, and I agree that the box itself is pretty disposable. I was hoping is was more of a solid cardboard box comparable to the Complete A&C box set, but its pretty flimsy cardboard and was unsurprisingly had some rounded corners and creased edges during shipping. The stacked discs work as far as keeping the discs in place and preventing movement/rattling--its not a loose hub like I've seen in some PD releases. Still, I'm going to replace it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate your interest in Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) products.

The Three Stooges Rare Treasures DVD set, unfortunately will not be released seperately by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. You may find the Three Stooges Rare Treasures DVD set sold seperately on www.amazon.com, www.ebay.com, or other similar shopping sites.

Thank you for your continued patronage and for taking the time to contact us.

Regards,

Brian Griffin SPHE Consumer Affairs

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Richard,

Welcome aboard and thanks for providing this information for us.

Hope you will continue to linger here -- especially with the Stooges fans.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
The bonus shorts are in great quality so far on the solo Shemp disc. Loved those few Andy Clydes, and even the first 10 shorts on this disc show some strong inspiration for later 3 Stooges plots and gags (or vice-verse). "Pick a Peck of Plumbers" in particular definitely had some gag reworking between it and "A Plumbing We Will Go"
English subtitles are available for these bonus shorts & two movies, however they use that ugly typeface that Sony adopted in the latter days of its DVD boxsets with the yellow font in a black text box (similar to TV Closed Captions). A good addition for those that are hearing impaired, though moot because the actual 3 Stooges shorts are still w/o subtitles

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks