Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Three Stooges Ultimate Collection, March 27

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
196 replies to this topic

#21 of 197 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,036 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted January 24 2012 - 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by ahollis 

Yep, if Sony does not release the extras as a separate disc, I can see them becoming the worst company of 2012 and we are only in the first month of the year.  I am still ticked at Fox for not releasing Cavalcade, Wild River and A Tree Grows In Brooklyn individually after placing them in collections with films I already owned.  I speak of this slap to faithful Fox fans that purchased the other discs faithfully when ever I can.

I can not think a more repugnant act upon the thousands of loyal Stooge fans that purchased the individual collection boxes.

It's this type of thing that's soured me on the hobby. From now on I've taken to not buying anything until a complete set comes out. What typically happens is that set never happens or I forget about it and don't buy a thing.

Hope the studios enjoy my future support. This is what happens when you kick your customers in the pants once too often.

#22 of 197 OFFLINE   rdf8585

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted January 24 2012 - 04:29 AM

I would not count on seeing these individually. Sony doesn't have a good track record of releasing this kind of stuff on its own. Look at the Seinfeld sets - after releasing the 9 seasons, they put out a complete series set with extra reunion footage and a coffee table type book. Neither were later released on their own. There's a chance some eBay sellers would sell the bonus discs on their own. It all makes sense now, doesn't it? Sony released 8 wonderfully restored volumes of Stooge shorts, but they were completely devoid of ANY extra material. There were certainly things they could have put on there. It's now apparent why they never did: for a set like this. They probably knew the shorts alone would sell themselves, but they also knew they were sitting on bunch of other material diehard fans desperately wanted. And now with the FOX Stooges movie putting the Stooges back in the public spotlight, they likely saw this as the best time to release this. Will I buy it? Maybe. This set gives me exactly what I wanted to see (the solo shorts). You won't see them on TV. And while I've seen some via the collectors market, the video quality was often bad to the point of being distracting. That's not going to be an issue here. The solo shorts have been missing from the home video market for 30 years. Ultimately, the packaging might determine if I get this or not. I'm not going to spend this kind of money on a set with paper sleeves (ala the L&H set). If this is properly packaged, I'd lean in favor of getting it. A minor content quibble would be no TIME OUT FOR RHYTHM. If only one of TIME OUT or ROCKIN could be included, the former was a better choice.

#23 of 197 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted January 24 2012 - 05:50 AM

I wonder if this means the set will leave out the previously released Curly Joe features? I could see Have Rocket and Rockin' selling separately, but I have to imagine that a set of the solo shorts would only be bought by a small percentage of those who bought volume 8. I doubt if that would be enough to justify a release. Still, this is exciting news.

#24 of 197 OFFLINE   rdf8585

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted January 24 2012 - 06:13 AM

A lot of the casual fans probably don't even know about the solo shorts, ROCKIN IN THE ROCKIES, or those cartoons. This is soitenly a product designed for diehards.

#25 of 197 OFFLINE   HELLOLARRY

HELLOLARRY

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted January 24 2012 - 06:16 AM

I agree about Time Out For Rhythm. While Rockin' in the Rockies is considered their first starring film, it is rather boring once the novelty of it has worn off. Time Out For Rhythm was a wonderful showcase for the three of them. It played on TCM a while back (only once to my recollection) but it would be nice to see it officially released. Maybe their MOD program will put it out at some point. If anything, they could've included the clips from that and Start Cheering as their sections of those respective films play pretty well on their own. Plus with TOFR you get to see the Maja routine with a healthy Curly. Unfortunately I agree that Sony doesn't have a good track record so while it is doubtful this would come out separately it would be nice and well deserved to all of us who bought them separately. One thing to note is that there hasn't been an official press release yet that I've seen regarding the content so maybe they'll surprise everyone.

#26 of 197 OFFLINE   Essanay Paul

Essanay Paul

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted January 24 2012 - 08:41 AM

I really really want to see Have Rocket Will Travel in widescreen.

Do keep in mind that HAVE ROCKET WILL TRAVE and the other Three Stooges features, outside of SNOW WHITE & THE THREE STOOGES, were never filmed in widescreen. They were shot full screen, or "Open Matt", and then cropped on the top & bottom to look widescreen. The director framed the films knowing that the top & bottom would be cut off. Since Video full frame is narrower than the 35mm "Open Matt" frame, there will be some more picture on the sides compared to the VHS tapes. But there will be a lot of picture missing from the top & bottom when compared to the VHS tapes. For instance, compare the 3-D Widescreen shorts to the old Full Frame versions. These were shot in the "Open Matt" format where both versions show some picture in areas cut off by the other version. The Full Frame VHS will have more picture on the top & bottom but missing some from the sides, the Widescreen DVD will have more picture on the sides but missing some from the top & bottom. However, the pre 1954 full frame 35mm picture is closer to the Video Full Frame, that is why GOOF ON THE ROOF looks so cropped in widescreen. Some Columbia Blu-ray discs of the Ray Harryhausen films have corrected this widescreen problem by presenting the full open matt frame 1:66-1. I suggest we start a write-in e-mail campaign to Sony requesting the individual sale of the last three discs. Maybe make it a special offer to the members of the Three Stooges Fan Club. There is no extra effort for sony, the discs have already been manufactured, they just have to offer them separately (packaging can be plain cases to save money).

#27 of 197 OFFLINE   Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 579 posts

Posted January 24 2012 - 03:17 PM

I want this, but I really don't want to double-dip on all 190 Stooge shorts. But what if they gave the viewer the choice of full-frame of cropped widescreen for the post-1953 material like some of the recent Warner Bros. cartoon DVDs? That would make it an easier pill to swallow, at least for me. I understand the concept of "protected for widescreen," etc. but I really dislike not having the option of viewing the full frame. "Jules White's artistic vision?":D (Prior to the last decade or so, weren't a lot of films shot in such a manner so that after their brief window in theatres, they could be shown in full-frame on television, where they spent most of the rest of their lives...) Aside from the above, the extras sound awesome. I want those Shemp, Besser and DeRita shorts, but they would be a hard sell to all but the Stooge completist. Bring it on!

#28 of 197 OFFLINE   rdf8585

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted January 24 2012 - 03:24 PM

I believe this to be the list of 28 Columbia solo shorts: SHEMP 1. NOT GUILTY ENOUGH 2. HOME ON THE RANGE 3. THE GLOVE SLINGERS 4. MONEY SQUAWKS 5. BOOBS IN THE WOODS 6. PLEASED TO MITT YOU 7. PICK A PECK OF PLUMBERS 8. OPEN SEASON FOR SAPS 9. ON AGAIN OFF AGAIN 10. HIT WITH A MISS 11. MR NOISY 12. JIGGERS MY WIFE 13. SOCIETY MUGS 14. BRIDE AND GLOOM BESSER 15. WAITING IN THE LURCH 16. DIZZY YARDBIRD 17. FRAIDY CAT 18. AIM FIRE SCOOT 19. CAUGHT ON THE BOUNCE 20. SPIES AND GUYS 21. THE FIRE CHASER 22. GI DOOD IT 23. HOOK A CROOK 24. ARMY DAZE DERITA 25. SLAPPILY MARRIED 26. GOOD EGG BAD EGG 27. WEDLOCK DEADLOCK 28. JITTER BUGHOUSE

#29 of 197 OFFLINE   David Deeb

David Deeb

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted January 24 2012 - 03:54 PM

I'm a huge Stooge fan. I bought all 8 volumes of the Three Stooges Collection. Bought all those random-themed over-priced, single DVDs Sony released before they re-released them in the 8 volume Three Stooges Collection. Bought all the individual Stooge films on DVD that have been released by Sony. So I'm sure Sony will do the right thing by us & release these extra 3 DVD as a stand--alone product as well as in this massive 20-disc box set. Yes? They won't make us buy all 190 shorts on 17 DVDs again just to get these 3 discs we have been asking for would they? If they did do that, I would say that would be the absolute lamest thing in DVD history. The absolute rudest, most disrespectful BS nonsense that they have ever attempted to pull. If they did do that, I would not buy the 20 disc box set, and may even go so far as to never buy any other Sony DVD or Blu-ray again ever.

#30 of 197 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted January 25 2012 - 04:33 AM

I'm a huge Stooge fan. I bought all 8 volumes of the Three Stooges Collection. Bought all those random-themed over-priced, single DVDs Sony released before they re-released them in the 8 volume Three Stooges Collection. Bought all the individual Stooge films on DVD that have been released by Sony. So I'm sure Sony will do the right thing by us & release these extra 3 DVD as a stand--alone product as well as in this massive 20-disc box set. Yes? They won't make us buy all 190 shorts on 17 DVDs again just to get these 3 discs we have been asking for would they? If they did do that, I would say that would be the absolute lamest thing in DVD history. The absolute rudest, most disrespectful BS nonsense that they have ever attempted to pull. If they did do that, I would not buy the 20 disc box set, and may even go so far as to never buy any other Sony DVD or Blu-ray again ever.

I'll echo that! I've been a huge Sony supporter, but if they pull this shit then I'm out!! I would love to have those extra discs, but there is NO WAY in hell that I'm going to re-buy all of these shorts unless they have some sort of significant rebate program for people who already bought these.:(

#31 of 197 OFFLINE   Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted January 25 2012 - 08:58 AM

It would be quite disappointing if Sony doesn't make this content available separately, but at least it's not the Ted Healy features. Still waiting, patiently, for that...

#32 of 197 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted January 25 2012 - 11:42 PM

Personally, I am not interested in the solo shorts; I really only want THE THREE STOOGES. So I do want HAVE ROCKET, WILL TRAVEL -- but I will NOT buy this new set just to get that one film. Are you listening, SONY...? I WILL NOT. My hope was that SONY would release a new "Curly Joe Feature Films Collection" with all of the DeRita films. I wouldn't have minded buying the other features again in one set which would also contain HAVE ROCKET, WILL TRAVEL. But to buy all of the 190 Stooge Shorts again? Not a chance. If this winds up happening -- and I'm not so sure it's 100% official yet that it is - then I agree with many others here, that SONY will get mud in their faces and that they have really screwed their fans over big time. Imagine it --- I think a lot of us here thought the 8-volume releases of the shorts were literally the most perfect home video collections of all time in a way. They really made us praise SONY. And if they were to now throw us a curve like this -- all of that praise will turn into contempt. I either want a FEATURE FILMS COLLECTION, or to get HAVE ROCKET, WILL TRAVEL as a lone separate DVD release.

#33 of 197 OFFLINE   rdf8585

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted January 26 2012 - 04:57 AM

It's surprising to me why anyone interested in the Stooges wouldn't want the solo shorts. The few I've seen are pretty good, you see some of the same supporting casts, and they've remained elusive for awhile.

#34 of 197 OFFLINE   Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 579 posts

Posted January 26 2012 - 06:26 AM

Personally, I am not interested in the solo shorts; I really only want THE THREE STOOGES. So I do want HAVE ROCKET, WILL TRAVEL -- but I will NOT buy this new set just to get that one film. Are you listening, SONY...? I WILL NOT. My hope was that SONY would release a new "Curly Joe Feature Films Collection" with all of the DeRita films. I wouldn't have minded buying the other features again in one set which would also contain HAVE ROCKET, WILL TRAVEL. But to buy all of the 190 Stooge Shorts again? Not a chance. If this winds up happening -- and I'm not so sure it's 100% official yet that it is - then I agree with many others here, that SONY will get mud in their faces and that they have really screwed their fans over big time. Imagine it --- I think a lot of us here thought the 8-volume releases of the shorts were literally the most perfect home video collections of all time in a way. They really made us praise SONY. And if they were to now throw us a curve like this -- all of that praise will turn into contempt. I either want a FEATURE FILMS COLLECTION, or to get HAVE ROCKET, WILL TRAVEL as a lone separate DVD release.

The set also includes Rockin' In The Rockies, the only "starring" Three Stooges feature film with Curly as part of the trio. Although as others have said, they do not appear as the traditional "team" and maybe a film like Time Out For Rhythm may be seen as more essential, for having the earliest film version of the "Maharajah" routine. Regardless, Rockin' is a Three Stooges feature film (more so than, say, Meet The Baron) and it features Curly Howard. I would also like to see Sony release the extras separately, but I'm not counting on it.

#35 of 197 OFFLINE   HELLOLARRY

HELLOLARRY

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted January 26 2012 - 07:15 AM

For those interested in the purchase, I found it on the WalMart website yesterday for $91 ($100 with tax and shipping).

#36 of 197 OFFLINE   rdf8585

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted January 26 2012 - 07:25 AM

Would it really kill Sony to put out a press release already?

#37 of 197 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted January 26 2012 - 08:00 AM

Judging by some of the pre-order prices, I'm guessing the Amazon.com price will be around $90. For those who have little faith in Sony delivering the goods on a separately release of the new stuff and really want the new stuff, Ebay may be a pretty good alternative for unloading the previous 8 volumes at a selling price pretty close to this. That's what I've done at least.

It's surprising to me why anyone interested in the Stooges wouldn't want the solo shorts. The few I've seen are pretty good, you see some of the same supporting casts, and they've remained elusive for awhile.

I'm with you there. Considering how cheap the 3-disc Volume 8 disc was when it was released, a $24.95 list price for a Volume 9 with this "bonus material" would hardly be a deal-breaker, even if someone just wanted the movies in that volume. Besides, since I've never seen any of those shorts due to their rarity, I might enjoy them more than the movies. However, I'm fairly sure the films will get released in the MOD line in the future if a retail release never happens.

#38 of 197 OFFLINE   rdf8585

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted January 26 2012 - 04:05 PM

I'd guess that most people who haven't seen any of the solos will be surprised and like them more than either movie. Maybe easily.

#39 of 197 OFFLINE   HELLOLARRY

HELLOLARRY

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted January 27 2012 - 05:29 AM

Good idea. I've sold off previous seasons of TV shows before to augment the purchase of a complete series box. That would be a good way to go.

#40 of 197 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,954 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted January 28 2012 - 05:56 AM

Ok so here is my biggest rub, if the extra is not offered as a standalone , as so many others have stated, so many loyal followers that have run the gambit thru the single releases, to when Sony finally got it right. Do I want the solo’s hell yes, do I want the feature films, and darn tootin I do, but back to the rub, after all the extensive work that was done in the shorts, and really the work is beautiful, why isn’t or hasn’t there been any word on if any of this is going to be released on blu ray, I mean come on the only chance to see the boys in 1080P is as an extra on a Buster Keaton set.  

So, maybe it’s just me, but if Sony were to offer a comprehensive collection of all the shorts and features and solos in one massive blu package and it was to include the two 3D shorts in real 1080p 3D, what are we talking about, the same kind of price that MGM/Fox is setting for the big assed Bond Box coming out later this year,  announce that please, and I will be all over it the second it goes up for pre-order. So much works was done, let it be shown the right way. Posted Image

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision