Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Three Stooges Ultimate Collection, March 27

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
196 replies to this topic

#1 of 197 OFFLINE   Brent S

Brent S

Stunt Coordinator

• 245 posts

Posted January 17 2012 - 06:04 AM

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will release "The Three Stooges: Ultimate Collection" box set on March 27. Amazon, B&N and a few others had it up for pre-order this past weekend, but without content details. It was assumed to be [at least] a repackaging of the 190 shorts released on eight volumes from 2007 - 2010. ClassicFlix now reports that it is a 20-disc set, indicating additional content; the prior eight volumes are comprised of 17 discs. As of this writing, exact content details are pending.

#2 of 197 OFFLINE   rdf8585

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted January 17 2012 - 06:17 AM

Here's hoping someone here knows someone and can squeeze out some details.

#3 of 197 OFFLINE   Essanay Paul

Essanay Paul

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted January 17 2012 - 08:38 AM

I am guessing it is their later features, most previously on individual DVDs. Two 80 minute features could easily fit on one DVD and fill up the three additional discs in the set with these: Stop, Look & Laugh / Have Rocket Will Travel (1959) Three Stooges In Orbit (1962) / Three Stooges Meet Hercules (1962) Three Stooges Go Around the World in a Daze (1963) / Outlaws Is Coming (1965) Or maybe even their feature with Curly: Rockin' In The Rockies (1945) in place of Stop Look & Laugh. The kick in the butt would be if this were the only way to get "Have Rocket Will Travel" & "Rockin' In The Rockies" on DVD; OR if the discs included the promised-but-cancelled Shemp & Joe Besser solo shorts. I have my doubts we will get three discs of documentaries. If so, maybe Sony will be nice to us devoted collectors and offer a separate 3-disc THREE STOOGES 1959-1965 DVD set.

#4 of 197 OFFLINE   rdf8585

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted January 17 2012 - 09:47 AM

I'm hoping for the Shemp, Besser, and DeRita Columbia solos. I already have their decent DVD copies of the DeRita features (except HAVE ROCKET).

#5 of 197 OFFLINE   David Deeb

David Deeb

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted January 18 2012 - 07:47 AM

Certainly, the extra 3 DVDs will be available separately. Certainly, Sony would not want to alienate all of us who faithfully bought that wave of "themed" DVDs with 5 or 6 shorts apiece. Then re-bought all 8 Volumes of "The Three Stooges Collection". Certainly, Sony will not pull a stunt and include 3 exclusive DVDs on this massive box set to "force" fans to buy these all over again. Anxiously awaiting details......

#6 of 197 OFFLINE   rdf8585

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted January 18 2012 - 08:11 AM

Doesn't Sony's Mike Schlesinger frequent these boards?

#7 of 197 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,545 posts

Posted January 18 2012 - 09:33 AM

Gents,

Was hoping to help all of you out.

Just went to Sony's Press Site.  The title is listed but

not too much more information is provide.  No box art

or description of contents.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#8 of 197 OFFLINE   rdf8585

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted January 18 2012 - 11:13 AM

Gents, Was hoping to help all of you out. Just went to Sony's Press Site.  The title is listed but not too much more information is provide.  No box art or description of contents.

Thanks for trying. Keep us updated if anything pops up.

#9 of 197 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,257 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted January 19 2012 - 01:10 AM

Dear Sony,

PLEASE release the additional discs separately.  PLEASE.  I bought the 8-package set.  I love it.  I want to keep it.  I DON'T want to buy it again.

Thank you...

#10 of 197 OFFLINE   rdf8585

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted January 21 2012 - 03:43 PM

The set now shows up on Sony's upcoming release calendar, but as now, details remain elusive. http://www.sonypictu...3396398207.html

#11 of 197 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 779 posts

Posted January 22 2012 - 11:30 PM

If you ask the TV fans, Sony's track record with individually releasing bonus discs is abysmal. I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing these 3 extra discs released separately.

#12 of 197 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,011 posts

Posted January 23 2012 - 07:49 AM

I imagine at least two of the three disks will be comprised of the Curly Joe feature films. Assuming Have Rocket Will Travel is included, I could see Sony releasing that. As for interviews or solo shorts, if any of those are included, this set will probably be the only place to get them.

#13 of 197 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,026 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted January 23 2012 - 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by David Deeb 

Certainly, the extra 3 DVDs will be available separately.
Certainly, Sony would not want to alienate all of us who faithfully bought that wave of "themed" DVDs with 5 or 6 shorts apiece. Then re-bought all 8 Volumes of "The Three Stooges Collection".
Certainly, Sony will not pull a stunt and include 3 exclusive DVDs on this massive box set to "force" fans to buy these all over again.
Anxiously awaiting details......

I'll believe it when I see it. The only way I'll rebuy the previous discs over again in order to get any extras will be if the set retails for $50. Anything more would be a waste of money.

#14 of 197 OFFLINE   Brent S

Brent S

Stunt Coordinator

• 245 posts

Posted January 24 2012 - 12:33 AM

The news is good! The 3 bonus discs will contain HAVE ROCKET WILL TRAVEL (1959), ROCKIN' IN THE ROCKIES (1945), 28 Columbia solo shorts starring Shemp Howard, Joe Besser and Joe DeRita, and 3 Columbia Color Rhapsody cartoons with Stooge caricatures. Product description from Movies Unlimited's website...

Along with volumes 1-8 of "The Three Stooges Collection," containing all 190 of the boys' Columbia shorts, this 20-disc collector's set also includes the feature films "Rockin' in the Rockies" (1945), a song-filled frontier comedy where ranch foreman Moe coaxes drifters Larry and Curly into backing his prospecting scheme, and "Have Rocket--Will Travel" (1958), with rocket base janitors Moe, Larry, and Curly Joe accidentally getting launched to the planet Venus; 28 solo Columbia short subjects--including "The Glove Slingers" (1939), "Pick a Peck of Plumbers" (1944), "Mr. Noisy" (1946), "Wedlock Deadlock" (1947), "Army Daze" (1956), and more--starring Shemp Howard, Joe Besser, and Joe DeRita; and a trio of vintage cartoons--"The Bon Bon Parade" (1935), "Merry Mutineers" (1936), and "A Hollywood Detour" (1942)--with appearances by the team.

#15 of 197 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,545 posts

Posted January 24 2012 - 12:37 AM

Brent,

That's more information than Sony's press site lists.

In fact, their press site still lists nothing but a release date of March 27th.

Thanks for the information.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#16 of 197 OFFLINE   Mark Pytel

Mark Pytel

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted January 24 2012 - 01:06 AM

I am excited and somewhat irritated at the same time. Being a huge Stooge fan, I purchased all of the 8 volumes right away. I also have all of the individual discs of the movies. All that I was missing from my Stooge collection was what is set to appear on those last three discs of this Ultimate Collection. I really really want to see Have Rocket Will Travel in widescreen, the shorts and Rockin in the Rockies..HOWEVER I do not feel that I should have to spend 143 dollars on this set to do so. What would I do with my 8 volumes? A trade in place will probably give me 3-4 dollars maximum. Not fair considering I willingly paid 19.99 for each of these on day one. I really hope that Sony releases a Volume 9 down the road with these three final discs or releases them separately in some capacity. Recently Paramount released an I Love Lucy box set with an extra bonus disc containing the long lost I Love Lucy Movie. Once again I had already purchased the individual seasons. Paramount a month later released just the bonus disc by itself. Columbia NEEDS to do this otherwise it will make a lot of fans very angry. So yes, once again, I am excited for the material but irritated at the way it is being released.

#17 of 197 OFFLINE   HELLOLARRY

HELLOLARRY

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted January 24 2012 - 01:54 AM

This is a little irritating. I have some Amazon giftcards from Christmas and my Goddaughters love the Stooges so my plan is to purchase the new set and give them my individual sets. It is my responsibility to help raise those kids right. :) I've been burned by this in the past. When Fox released the individual seasons of MASH, I was a good consumer and kept buying them. Then the same day they released season 11, they released the complete series with 2 discs of bonus material not available elsewhere. I was able ahead of time to sell my seasons 1-10 so with the profits from that and a little out of pocket, I covered the complete collection. However, I thought that was a little bit of a scam and I know it upset the consumer base of this show so much that eventually they released the final episode as a separate disc with the two discs of bonus material that was only in the complete collection. It must be harder with older material as I really feel you need to keep purchasing it for the continuing seasons or film productions to keep coming out. I think with the Stooges however - for as much as I love other comedy teams and performers from that time - they are the one that you don't ever have to remarket or re-introduce. They have always stayed popular. Sony would have cleaned up just fine if they did this first and then released the sets separately (similar to how Time Life handled Get Smart many years ago and I believe other series have followed suit) With newer shows now that I'm interested in, they kind of sell themselves so if I really like a show, I won't make a purchase until the complete series comes out. I really do hope Sony reviews this and makes the material available separately. I for one am surprised that they really appear to be going through with releasing all the solo material. Nice move but show a little love to the fan base and release those things separately. Sony has gouged people enough with the Stooges on DVD when you include all the previous incarnations before these chronological sets.

#18 of 197 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted January 24 2012 - 02:00 AM

The news is good! The 3 bonus discs will contain HAVE ROCKET WILL TRAVEL (1959), ROCKIN' IN THE ROCKIES (1945), 28 Columbia solo shorts starring Shemp Howard, Joe Besser and Joe DeRita, and 3 Columbia Color Rhapsody cartoons with Stooge caricatures.

Yow! Sony should definitely release those available separately, especially the rare Columbia shorts. These go way beyond average bonus features, and could easily pass as "Volume 9" of the Three Stooges considering how strong the sales have been on these titles.

#19 of 197 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,474 posts

Posted January 24 2012 - 02:13 AM

While I agree that Sony should release these extra materials as a seperate release which I would buy; I do not see any chance of that happening based on Sony's previous track record and most studios for that matter concerning these complete sets after individual releases.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#20 of 197 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,838 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted January 24 2012 - 04:04 AM

Yep, if Sony does not release the extras as a separate disc, I can see them becoming the worst company of 2012 and we are only in the first month of the year.  I am still ticked at Fox for not releasing Cavalcade, Wild River and A Tree Grows In Brooklyn individually after placing them in collections with films I already owned.  I speak of this slap to faithful Fox fans that purchased the other discs faithfully when ever I can.

I can not think a more repugnant act upon the thousands of loyal Stooge fans that purchased the individual collection boxes.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman