Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: Casablanca 70th Anniversary 3-Disc Blu-ray + DVD Combo

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,822 posts

Posted January 17 2012 - 02:43 AM

One of the World’s Most Beloved Films Returns.

The Most Beautiful It’s Ever Been!

CASABLANCA 70th ANNIVERSARY EDITION

3-Disc Blu-ray™+ DVD Combo Pack New Limited Numbered Blu-ray™ + DVDs Boast All New 4K Feature Scan

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

Most Extensive Collection of Content in One Gift Set, with

14 Hours of Bonus Content, including Two New Documentaries

All-new Collectible Memorabilia Includes Reproduction of the Original 1942 French film poster, 60-page Production Art Book

and Collectible Drink Coaster Set

March 27 from Warner Home Video

Burbank, Calif., January 17, 2012 – The legendary film Casablanca -- which critic Leonard Maltin calls “the best Hollywood movie of all time,” starring Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman and winner of three Academy Awards®including Best Picture (1944) – will celebrate its anniversary with a stunning new Casablanca 70th Anniversary 3-Disc Blu-ray + DVD Combo Edition on March 27 from Warner Home Video.

This new limited and numbered gift set edition, perfect for Mother’s Day gift giving, will introduce two never-before-seen documentaries – “Casablanca: An Unlikely Classic,” and “Michael Curtiz: The Greatest Director You Never Heard Of.” The new documentaries will complete the most extensive collection of content in one gift set -- more than 14 hours of bonus material that also includes a compilation of three comprehensive feature length documentaries:The Brothers Warner, You Must Remember This: The Warner Bros. Story and Jack L. Warner: The Last Mogul.

The Casablanca 70th Anniversary 3-Disc Blu-ray + DVD Combo Edition looks like another beginning of a beautiful friendship as well -- elegantly packaged in a double-wide giftbox, with brand-new collectibles created for this release including a 60-page production art book with never-before-seen photos, personal memos and archival documents about the production. A reproduction of the original 1942 film poster and a set of four collectible drink coasters from in a special keepsake box.

Casablanca 70th Anniversary 3-Disc Blu ray + DVD Combo Edition will be available for $64.99 SRP. Order due date is February 21.

Casablanca will also be honored with a February 3rd screening at the beautiful new state-of-the-art Warner Bros. Theater in the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History in Washington, D.C. moderated by Time magazine critic and film historian Richard Schickel*, with special guest Stephen Humphrey Bogart* (son of Bogart and Lauren Bacall). Casablanca will be the premiere event in a weekend-long tribute of three other Bogie classics, following the gala opening of the theater, made possible by a grant from Warner Bros. to the Smithsonian. There will be an accompanying display highlighting costumes and artifacts related to these classic films and the history of Warner Bros.

Special Features for Hours of Entertainment

• Commentary by Roger Ebert
  • Commentary by Rudy Behlmer
  • Introduction by Lauren Bacall
Two NEW Documentaries:

• Michael Curtiz: The Greatest Director You Never Heard Of
  • Casablanca: An Unlikely Classic
Three Feature-Length Documentaries:

• You Must Remember This: The Warner Bros. Story [2008 Documentary]
  • The Brothers Warner [2008 Documentary]
  • Jack L. Warner: The Last Mogul [1993 Documentary]
Additional Bonus Content:

• Now Voyager Theatrical Trailer-Warner Night at the Movies
  • Newsreel-Warner Night at the Movies
  • Vaudeville Days - Warner Night at the Movies
  • The Bird Came C.O.D.-Warner Night at the Movies
  • The Squawkin' Hawk -Warner Night at the Movies
  • The Dover Boys at Pimento University or The Rivals of Roquefort Hall
  • Great Performances: Bacall on Bogart
  • You Must Remember This: A Tribute to Casablanca
  • As Time Goes By: The Children Remember
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Outtakes
  • Who Holds Tomorrow?
  • Carrotblanca – Vintage Cartoon
  • Scoring Stage Sessions
  • 4/26/43 Lady Esther Screen Guild Theater Radio Broadcast
  • 11/19/47 Vox Pop Radio Broadcast
About the Film

Casablanca has remained a beloved favorite for almost seven decades, and was voted the screen’s greatest love story and the #3 film of all time by the American Film Institute (AFI). This classic wartime romance also took Oscars® for Michael Curtiz (Directing -1944); Julius J. Epstein, Philip G. Epstein and Howard Koch (Writing – Screenplay -1944 ) and the studio (Outstanding Motion Picture -1944 ).

Casablanca: easy to enter, but much harder to leave, especially if you're wanted by the Nazis. Such a man is Resistance leader Victor Laszlo (Paul Henreid), whose only hope is Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart), a cynical American who sticks his neck out for no one - especially Victor's wife Ilsa (Ingrid Bergman), the ex-lover who broke his heart. Ilsa offers herself in exchange for Laszlo's transport out of the country and bitter Rick must decide what counts more - personal happiness or countless lives hanging in the balance. 

MARKETING SUPPORT

Turner Classic Movies (TCM) will support the release of Casablancaairing the film on February 15 at 11PM ET as part of TCM’s programming of the “31 Days of Oscar.” In addition, they will provide on-air mentions by TCM host Robert Osborne, inclusion in the TCM shopping newsletter, online banners, mentions on the TCM Facebook fan page and an ad in the Now Playing Guide.

CASABLANCA 70th ANNIVERSARY

3-DISC BLU-RAY + DVD COMBO EDITION

Street Date: March 27, 2012

Order Date: February 21, 2012

Catalog # 10000249987

$64.99 SRP

Run Time: 102 minutes (Feature only)

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

Academy Awards® and Oscar® are both registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 15 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,375 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 17 2012 - 03:55 AM

I never got the original BD of this, and I could actually use a poster and some coasters. Go figure. . .
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#3 of 15 MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 735 posts

Posted January 17 2012 - 03:56 AM

Looks like a great collection box!

BUT...

I do not see the episode of the Casablance TV show that was available on previous releases, unless it is hidden under one of those titles. Granted, it's not a classic, but a great shame if it has been dropped.

So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

#4 of 15 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted January 17 2012 - 04:27 AM

I didn't see the Casablanca trailers on here either, but I'm sure they'll be included. I particularly like the one for the 50th Anniversary.

#5 of 15 Dukelow

Dukelow

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted January 17 2012 - 04:38 AM

Can anyone kindly enlighten me on this? It says "New 4k scan". Is this going to be different to the previous blu ray release. Also is it region free as I'm in the UK? All these versions is just confusing.

#6 of 15 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,822 posts

Posted January 17 2012 - 04:51 AM

It is my understanding that it is a new scan and
noticeably improved upon the previous release.

Ronald J Epstein

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#7 of 15 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted January 17 2012 - 07:03 AM

I'll probably upgrade as I bought the single disc release, But I''ll wait a bit for possible alternatives that may crop up, such as new exclusive retail releases.

#8 of 15 Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 827 posts

Posted January 17 2012 - 07:12 AM

I'll probably upgrade as I bought the single disc release, But I''ll wait a bit for possible alternatives that may crop up, such as new exclusive retail releases.

I'm hoping we get a Best Buy-exclusive digibook like we did with Citizen Kane.

#9 of 15 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,822 posts

Posted January 17 2012 - 07:38 AM

Ronald J Epstein

#10 of 15 Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted January 17 2012 - 08:05 AM

I'm sorry, but I bought the LAST ultimate collector's Blu-ray box set of this.   They'll need to do something significant to justify why I should buy it again.

The new transfer sounds interesting, but I'll wait to see the feedback on it.  If the transfer is indeed stellar, then I'll wait for the single disc release that's sure to come later in the year or maybe next year.

I have already purchased in the past:

Casablanca DVD (from the original wave of DVD releases)

Casablanca 2-Disc SE DVD

Casablanca Ultimate Collector's Edition Blu-ray Set (with passport and goodies)

That's plenty of Casablanca for me.  Love the move, enjoyed the last Blu-ray.

I just can't see myself buying it again and again and again and AGAIN and again and again and AGAIN and again...

#11 of 15 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,067 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted January 17 2012 - 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin EK 

Casablanca DVD (from the original wave of DVD releases)

Casablanca 2-Disc SE DVD

Casablanca Ultimate Collector's Edition Blu-ray Set (with passport and goodies)

Same for me, plus the Criterion CAV LD set

#12 of 15 Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 801 posts

Posted January 17 2012 - 10:08 AM

Will there be a version without the landfill bait -- excuse me, "collectible memorabilia"?

#13 of 15 MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor

• 735 posts

Posted January 17 2012 - 01:01 PM

Probably, WB did bare bones releases for Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind for example.

Report from thedigitalbits.com says all previous DVD and blu-ray extras will be included with this. With that assurance, I'm on board. Believe it or not, yet to own Casablanca on anything other than VHS, so this should be cool.

So much TV... So little money! Please visit my blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/

#14 of 15 Keithsproverb

Keithsproverb

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted January 17 2012 - 01:29 PM

Yeah, I had the same question. Let me know what you find out. Thanks.

#15 of 15 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted January 17 2012 - 01:54 PM

I'm sure a digibook will be forthcoming. It's not a matter of if, but when. Look at the pattern. This question comes up everytime one of these boxes is released.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users