What's new

Newb.. with IR/RF remote extenders please help!!! (1 Viewer)

louds

Auditioning
Real Name
chris j
Alright.. I am fairly new to this whole new IR/RF remote extenders and I have a few questions.. I recently just bought a new house, and in my bedroom I have my TV connected on the dresser with the cable box right next to it.. I wanna hide the cable box under the dresser so it is not seen but my remote will not work.. Is there a remote extender that is compatible with my box... I am also looking to go the very cheap route, no harmony remotes.
BOX: Scientific Atlantic HDTV Explorer 8240HDC
Time Warner Cable

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Welcome to Home Theater Forum Chris. You can either go the Harmony (or similar) Universal Remote with RF support path, or if you want to use the existing remote you will need to get an IR extender http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Infrared-Remote-Control-Repeater/dp/B004FJV8EE/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1326858147&sr=1-2-catcorr
The rectangle at the top gets placed where your existing remote can "see" it and is plugged into the box. One of the emitters on the right goes from that box and is "stuck" onto the front of the cable box where the IR receiver is allowing your existing remote to control the cable box. These systems run between $40 and $100. This one is $40.

louds

Auditioning
Real Name
chris j
Adam,
Thanks Much for your response. I do appreciate it.. I will look into this item, thing is I do not need all of these emitters. There is only one box and one remote there is no DVD player or anything like that. So would be there a cheaper route, or is this the best option.
I appreciate any input

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Go to "Fl"ebay and look at auction 320831449198. I've used that same model for my in-laws and a friend. Works great. Put the receiver on the dresser and the emitter under the dresser with the cable box.
Don't forget to vaccuum frequently around the cable box or dust bunnies will build up fast.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by louds /t/317773/newb-with-ir-rf-remote-extenders-please-help#post_3888766
Adam,
Thanks Much for your response. I do appreciate it.. I will look into this item, thing is I do not need all of these emitters. There is only one box and one remote there is no DVD player or anything like that. So would be there a cheaper route, or is this the best option.
I appreciate any input
Usually they tend to throw in the emitters as they are pretty cheap. Buying the individual pieces you need will cost a lot more. I have not used this specific kit, I just looked for one that had everything you would need at the lower end of the price range as an example. I would check reviews on Amazon to see what people who have used it think.

louds

Auditioning
Real Name
chris j
Robert I appreciate this link here.. It does look fairly cheap.. how is the quality of these? is it something worth going with and not having any troubles or should i go with what adam had posted earlier in the thread?
Thanks again guys I appreciate all the help this is exactly what im looking for!

louds

Auditioning
Real Name
chris j
Could you guys check this out, and let me know this would work for what im trying to do correct?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IR-Extender-Emitter-Receiver-Repeater-Kit-1-Receiver-4-Emitters-Hidden-Remote-/170761537044?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c22e4614

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The item I linked to has worked for years at both households. It's accuracy is about 90%. Yes, it will miss a button press or two but nothing that will impact your viewing. Just press the channel (or any other button) again.
I assumed you were looking for a cheaper alternative. That's as cheap as it gets unless you want used.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Welcome to the forum Bob :)

I like it, the price is excellent and beats what I spent on my Next Generation system. Strange its not available for sale on amazon but the user reviews found there are excellent.

unknown414

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob E
Type A said:
Welcome to the forum Bob :)

I like it, the price is excellent. Strange its not available on amazon but the user reviews found there are excellent.
I have seen that company selling on amazon before- That's how I originally found their website- I just did a quick search and it isn't coming up- I wonder if it's just out of stock or something along those lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks