What's new

where can I buy a replacement 8" woofer for a Klipsch KSF 8.5? (1 Viewer)

carreramia

Auditioning
Real Name
ralph
thanks for any help....I've had these for years and this week I busted the woofer. Just need to replace one if that's possible.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The proper way to replace it is get one from Klipsch. I did the same with a pair of Heresys back in 1990. I called their office in Hope, AR and it was delivered the next day (only had to go about 150 miles). I know things have changed since then but it is worth a try. "busted woofer" leaves a lot to the imagination. What's wrong with it? Torn surround? Punctured cone? Burnt voice coil?

carreramia

Auditioning
Real Name
ralph
thanks for the reply......I'm not much of a techy but how I can best describe it is the speaker makes these deep trembling sounds only in certain situations when the sounds are deep and rumbling from the soundtrack.....I put my hand up to it and kind of press gently against the speaker and it muffles it so that why I assume (or confirm in my mind) that the woofer is bad. it first happened in playback of a movie with loud explosions when I had the sound turned up...ever since it does it again but only as I described, when sounds are deep. The thing reverberates...... Hope that helped. I will call Klipsch today. I did not remove the speaker to see how easy it is to replace (it has four screws), so I assume it isn't some major teardown involving soldering or other special tools. Would you know? Again, thanks.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
it first happened in playback of a movie with loud explosions when I had the sound turned up...ever since it does it again but only as I described, when sounds are deep. The thing reverberates......
On your receiver, are the speakers set to small or large? I'm going to bet large. That means the full range of sound is going to the main speakers. When an explosion or some other special effect is happening, it is sending a signal to the speaker that is lower than the tuning frequency of the enclosure. Below tuning, your driver is unloading and playing like there is no enclosure. Technically there is no air behind it to dampen the driver. You are pushing the driver to it's suspension limits. Have you damaged it? I don't know. If you haven't now, you eventually will. How do I fix this you ask? Simple. On your receiver, set your speakers to small and let the sub handle all of the low frequency information.
I will call Klipsch today. I did not remove the speaker to see how easy it is to replace (it has four screws), so I assume it isn't some major teardown involving soldering or other special tools. Would you know?
99% of the time it will take just a screwdriver to remove the driver. The wires may have slip on terminals, push terminals or be soldered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks