Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Projector Screen Suggestions - SI Black Diamond, Da-Lite Affinity, Stewart Firehawk, Other?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Randy_Harvell

Randy_Harvell

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted January 15 2012 - 08:08 AM

As stated in another post, I am updating my home theater replacing an aging RP TV and adding a projector & screen setup to a light controlled dedicated home theater that is 13 x 26 with 9ft ceiling. Thinking of adding a 106" or 110" screen with either an Epson 6010 or JVC DLA-X30 projector. Viewing will be 50% movies, 25% sports, 25 % HDTV. This will be a fixed screen. Not real familiar with all the different screen options also not wanting to spend an extreme amount on a screen ($1500 -$3000?). Currently looking at the SI Black Diamond, Da-Lite Affinity, Stewart Firehawk Gray, and maybe the Carada. Can anyone offer some advice on these different options with pros & cons, along with any pricing guidance?

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Randy_Harvell

Randy_Harvell

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted January 16 2012 - 12:52 PM

Also looking to see if anyone has used the Star-Power screens as well. Was in one of the Star-Power stores today and salesman advised their store brand is geared to be a knock off of the Stewart screens and cost around $1,000+ less...

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   GeorgeAB

GeorgeAB

Second Unit

• 471 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted January 17 2012 - 02:15 AM

As stated in another post, I am updating my home theater replacing an aging RP TV and adding a projector & screen setup to a light controlled dedicated home theater that is 13 x 26 with 9ft ceiling. Thinking of adding a 106" or 110" screen with either an Epson 6010 or JVC DLA-X30 projector. Viewing will be 50% movies, 25% sports, 25 % HDTV. This will be a fixed screen. Not real familiar with all the different screen options also not wanting to spend an extreme amount on a screen ($1500 -$3000?). Currently looking at the SI Black Diamond, Da-Lite Affinity, Stewart Firehawk Gray, and maybe the Carada. Can anyone offer some advice on these different options with pros & cons, along with any pricing guidance?

What colors are your room surfaces: ceiling, walls, floor? Please define specifically what you mean by "light controlled." Best regards and beautiful pictures, G. Alan Brown, President CinemaQuest, Inc. A Lion AV Consultants affiliate "Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Randy_Harvell

Randy_Harvell

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted January 17 2012 - 05:30 AM

This is a dedicated home theater with dark blue carpet, walls and ceiling.

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   GeorgeAB

GeorgeAB

Second Unit

• 471 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted January 18 2012 - 04:57 AM

Please define specifically what you mean by "light controlled."

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Randy_Harvell

Randy_Harvell

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted January 18 2012 - 11:45 AM

All light is controlled in the room. Room can be completely dark with rear door closed. Also have dimmers on side lights. Room is all dark blue from ceiling, walls, and carpet.

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   texasspreader

texasspreader

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted January 18 2012 - 01:31 PM

randy. i am in the process of building a theater in my home also. i am doing almost the same thing that you are. My room is 13 foot wide and 16 foot long. The walls and ceiling are painted flat black and i have dark carpet. i have no windows in the room when the lights are turned off the room is complete darkness. I home chosen the epson 6010 but i still could buy the JVC DLA-X30 if i need too. i am a minimum of a hour and a half from any stores that i could see a screen or projector demo but i have driven several miles to see as much as i could.. I have researched the internet for months .... I have been told that the stewart firehawk will be the best screen if i will have any light on at all like for a group over watching a game For total darkness they said the studiotek 130 would give the best color and pop with minimum hotspotting. the only screen that i have seen that will compare to the stewart for this kind of room is the JKP Affinity.screen.. The sales people all agree that it will make the projector better to buy the best screen but is the price for the stewart worth it ??? i dont know... I am on a budget and if i buy the stewart it will put me way over .. thats a 1200 dollar increase over what i was going to buy.. It will be a difficult choice and always wonder if you made the right one since you will get hundreds of different opinions over the internet.. As of now my choice is the Epson 6010 and the stewart studiotek 130.. but i am still open for suggestions...

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Randy_Harvell

Randy_Harvell

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted January 18 2012 - 01:53 PM

Not sure if you have seen a demo of the Epson 6010, but Star Power in Dallas off Hwy 75 does have one of these set up in their demo room. I am still waiting for my pricing to come in from four bidders. What kind of pricing did you get on the Affinity or Stewart screens? I am looking at a 110" 16:9 configuration. The screen selection is my biggest wild card of this process in not wanting to over spend, but also trying to stay in budget. Looks like screen pricing will be between $1250 and $2700+.

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   texasspreader

texasspreader

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted January 18 2012 - 02:09 PM

You need to contact David at Theater Advice in Dallas. HE has been great to me.. I am about three and a half hours from Dallas but from the prices he has given me i would make the drive to get it .. It is somewhere around 25 percent off retail... Also a great place in Tyler i think its called stereo and video. Both carry Stewart Screen among others. I have not found anyone in my area that has Affinity so i have no prices on them or have seen one in person . The stewart 110 inch is going to cost somewhere around $ 2,000.00

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Randy_Harvell

Randy_Harvell

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted February 10 2012 - 05:57 AM

Just completed my next HT phase with David at Theater Advice in N. Dallas (Frisco) (www.theateradvice.com). Upgraded to Epson 6010, Stewart Firehawk G3 110", Pioneer SC-55, and URC MX-450 remote. David and team did a great job with the install and also in covering over window with drywall behind screen. So far so good. Picture and screen look great and sound is outstanding!

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   texasspreader

texasspreader

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted February 16 2012 - 02:11 AM

Just curious as to why you would choose the firehawk over the studiotek 130 in a light controlled room. I have that choice to make also.

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Producer

• 6,333 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted February 16 2012 - 09:09 AM

Just curious as to why you would choose the firehawk over the studiotek 130 in a light controlled room

Me too!!

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   HMMurdock

HMMurdock

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted February 18 2012 - 03:27 AM

Ever consider something from Elite Screens? They are a Chinese Import, but extremely affordable and picking up some steam in the HT market.

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Randy_Harvell

Randy_Harvell

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted February 25 2012 - 06:24 AM

Really went with installer recommendation on picking the Firehawk. Thought was enabling the best of full light off and also having some lights on during games, etc. Overall, this screen seems great! Really good for the 3D as well. As I was selecting screens it really was a study all over the place. Final decision was to go with the best I could without regrets later of not etting a great quality screen to match up against a very good reasonably priced projector. No regrets.