What's new

Blu-Ray boosts home entertainment. Are you buying Blu-Ray's or renting? (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm a buyer. I'm coming to the end of my working life and I'm aiming to be in a position that when I stop working I'll be able to see all my favorite movies any time I like without it costing me anything!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Buyer. With only a few isolated instances as exceptions, I haven't been a renter since Beta and then VHS days, and I rarely think to (or want to) watch movies On Demand.

Several years ago I built a fairly simple but effective Excel spreadsheet that enables me to keep track of what's in my collection. At present, there are some 2300 titles on LD, DVD, and BD. Blu-ray is now the default for new acquisitions, but I'm very careful to check reviews here first. I still buy lots of DVDs for all the various good reasons.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
I buy movies on Blu-Ray if they require a high-definition viewing and worth watching more than once. 1) LOTR 2) Marvel and DC Movies 3) Wizard of Oz 4) Avatar I buy movies on DVD if it's something I want to own, but don't need to view it on Blu-Ray. 1) Bruno 2) Jerry Maguire 3) Airheads 4) Any cool action or drama I see on the bargain bin for $3. I rent movies if I know I want to see them, but confident only one viewing. 1) The Kids Are Alright 2) The Kings Speech 3) 'homework' movies I need to watch to study direction or acting, or just appreciation of film history

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Buyer, although I've slowed down recently due to lack of movies/TV shows that I really want, or already own.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Both. If it's a film I like and am confident that I'll want to re-watch at some point, I'll buy it - otherwise rent. I don't see the point in buying something I've never seen and will most likely only want to watch once.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
I buy everything. Outside of Netflix streaming, which I typically only use because it's there, I haven't rented a disc in years. I'm a little more cautious with blind buying these days, but I still do it occasionally.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
There's an article here that suggests the outlook for home video isn't as rosy as the DEG suggests:
Nomura analyst Michael Nathanson doesn’t buy the spin from DEG...The industry group said that spending only fell 2.1% last year — the smallest decline since 2008 — due in part to a 20% increase in spending on Blu-ray discs...But Nathanson says in a report this morning that the figures are misleading because they include subscription payments for digital streaming from companies such as Netflix and Hulu Plus. They “are not directly tied to the distinct purchase of one title,” Nathanson says. “Why didn’t prior DEG reports include HBO and Showtime revenues?" When you take the subscription numbers out, ”the industry’s health looks a little more sickly at -6.6% vs the -2.1% reported,” Nathanson says. “Using this approach, we maintain a view that consumer demand for physical and digital home entertainment titles is still, unfortunately, in secular decline.” The bottom line? Nathanson predicts that U.S. consumers will spend $16.3B on home entertainment this year, -4%, and $15.5B in 2013, -5%.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Both. Buy favorites when they become available & finances allow. Have no intention of stopping BD collecting. Rent new BDs releases via Netflix. Done w/ DVD (with rare cases of "may never get on BD" such as Three Stooges Collection, Shout's Leave it To Beaver box set, etc.) If its on both formats, it's BD or not at all.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I mostly wait.

If the movie is either a classic I have to have (The African Queen) or something new I know I really, really want (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2, for example), I'll buy and usually near release date if the price is right.

For most other movies, particularly new ones, I'll wait to watch them first on HBO, Showtime, or Starz. If I like it sufficiently, then I'll buy the Blu-ray to add to the collection (that far after street date, the price is usually very attactrive). Often, once is enough. If I can't wait the 9 months to a year for it to come to pay cable, I'll rent the DVD at Redbox to see if it's something I want to buy.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
I'm still doing both pretty actively. I try to see as many new releases as possible, probably 2-3 per week on average, but I'm only buying the ones I really like after getting from Netflix, catalog titles, and new releases that I know I'll like but can't see in theaters (2 kids under the age of 3).

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I am very surprised that several members who have equipment for watching Blu-Ray do still watch and buy DVDs of movies available on Blu-Ray. Wouldn't it be better to rent them as Blu-Rays and enjoy a much better presentation? I understand that there might be a title or two that isn't available for renting but for example Bruno has been mentioned and I am sure it was possible to rent it somewhere on Blu-Ray? Myself I am both renting and watching. I usually buy worthy older transfer to send the right signal to studios so many older movies done well get bought. Much less newer stuff that I figure is not worth watching more than once most of the time and that will sell anyway. I try to avoid bad Blu-Rays and I avoid certain studios that usually are substandard with catalog completely, a good example would be Universal.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Chas in CT said:
Buyer.  With only a few isolated instances as exceptions, I haven't been a renter since Beta and then VHS days, and I rarely think to (or want to) watch movies On Demand. Several years ago I built a fairly simple but effective Excel spreadsheet that enables me to keep track of what's in my collection.  At present, there are some 2300 titles on LD, DVD, and BD.  Blu-ray is now the default for new acquisitions, but I'm very careful to check reviews here first.  I still buy lots of DVDs for all the various good reasons.
Same here. If the SD MODs would just come down in price, I'd be all over them...$20 is a little tuff to swallow!

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Only ever buy Bluray & even then usually catalog titles or something newer which I have already seen at the theatre & enjoyed. Rarely blind buy movies I have not already watched at least once. Never ever going to be interested in renting or streaming I always want to own the physical media & still have the Laserdiscs/DVD's in storage to prove it !!!!

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I bought all of 3 movies on blu-ray last year. These days it has to be something I REALLY want to get me to spend money on it. Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks