-

Photo
- - - - -

Audrey Hepburn on Blu

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 810 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted January 12 2012 - 01:29 PM

We already have Breakfast At Tiffany's, and Charade, why not release the rest? Audrey seems to bring the bucks, why else would Paramount release Breakfast mutliple times? Charade could be re-released yet again, but this time from Universal themselves. Wait Until Dark, would probably look good in Blu.

#2 of 34 Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,158 posts

Posted January 12 2012 - 01:45 PM

WAR AND PEACE and FUNNY FACE would make impressive Blus.

#3 of 34 darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 810 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted January 12 2012 - 01:58 PM

WAR AND PEACE and FUNNY FACE would make impressive Blus.

Funny Face, Sabrina, and Roman Holiday would be perfect in Blu. Never seen War and Peace.

#4 of 34 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,119 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 12 2012 - 02:10 PM

We also have My Fair Lady on Blu, but that's another story....

#5 of 34 darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 810 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted January 12 2012 - 02:13 PM

We also have My Fair Lady on Blu, but that's another story....

So very true.

#6 of 34 bugsy-pal

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator

• 86 posts

Posted January 12 2012 - 04:34 PM

What about 'How to Steal a Million'?

#7 of 34 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,455 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted January 12 2012 - 05:03 PM

Roman Holiday, Sabrina, Two for the Road, and Wait Until Dark would be my picks.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#8 of 34 moviepas

moviepas

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted January 12 2012 - 06:06 PM

Never seen War and Peace.

Have you seen the nearly 8 hour Russian version? I have it on DVD but it should have a Blu release also

Not really Audrey but I am going to mention it, though. This one has two known beginnings. The original opening with credits was that of canons and what not going off and a later opening had a farm field panorama. A former friend took his then wife to this epic showing of which she later told not to do that to her again. But when the film opened, a guy in the audience shouted an expletive and yelled that they "had given us the passive opening reel!" Who knows why they changed it.

#9 of 34 darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 810 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted January 12 2012 - 10:47 PM

I haven't seen it, but it looks good.

Never seen War and Peace. Have you seen the nearly 8 hour Russian version? I have it on DVD but it should have a Blu release also Not really Audrey but I am going to mention it, though. This one has two known beginnings. The original opening with credits was that of canons and what not going off and a later opening had a farm field panorama. A former friend took his then wife to this epic showing of which she later told not to do that to her again. But when the film opened, a guy in the audience shouted an expletive and yelled that they "had given us the passive opening reel!" Who knows why they changed it.

I know the book is long, and if there's an 8 hour Russian version I think I'll pass.

#10 of 34 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,119 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 13 2012 - 12:19 AM

Funny Face and War and Peace would be VistaVision wonders, and I'd love to see them on Blu.

Of course, Roman Holiday, Sabrina, The Nun's StoryTwo for the Road, and Wait Until Dark would all get my vote for release.

#11 of 34 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,467 posts

Posted January 13 2012 - 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by MattH. 

Funny Face and War and Peace would be VistaVision wonders, and I'd love to see them on Blu.

Of course, Roman Holiday, Sabrina, The Nun's StoryTwo for the Road, and Wait Until Dark would all get my vote for release.

Nun's Story would have dye fade problems.  Worse than either of the Vista films.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#12 of 34 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,178 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted January 13 2012 - 01:55 AM

I was only recently exposed to the delights of Funny Face and would love to have it on Blu.

As for War and Peace, I confess I have not only never read the book, I haven't seen this or any other filmed version, and I'd love it if my first exposure to it could be the VistaVision done properly.

#13 of 34 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,467 posts

Posted January 13 2012 - 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Chas in CT 

I was only recently exposed to the delights of Funny Face and would love to have it on Blu.

As for War and Peace, I confess I have not only never read the book, I haven't seen this or any other filmed version, and I'd love it if my first exposure to it could be the VistaVision done properly.

War and Peace, for all its visual niceties, is not a great film, merely long.  Best to go with Bondarchuk.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#14 of 34 Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,158 posts

Posted January 13 2012 - 03:44 AM

I'd like to see the BBC's from 72-73, which brought Anthony Hopkins great acclaim. It doesn't seem to be available in R1, though.

#15 of 34 Randy_M

Randy_M

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ

Posted January 13 2012 - 03:55 AM

This is one of my all-time favorites. Must have seen it a dozen times. I'd watch it a dozen more in high def.
My DVDs

#16 of 34 adklz

adklz

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted January 13 2012 - 04:08 AM

Fred Zinnemann's film of "The Nun's Story" not only has Audrey Hepburn's greatest performance, but it is a great film and should not be allowed to fade away. When it was originally released it was a tremendous hit, the biggest money maker in Warner Bros. history and would probably have been the big Oscar winner if it hadn't been up against "Ben-Hur" However, it's also a film that could never be made today. Although it is, in part, about religion it is not a religious movie. It's actually about the intellectual struggle of the main character as she tries to conform to her society's(in this case her religious order) expectations of her. Today's audiences care little for character development and would have no patience for a movie with such stately pacing, however crucial it is for the story being told, and little action.

#17 of 34 willyTass

willyTass

Second Unit

• 351 posts

Posted January 13 2012 - 05:01 AM

agreed , A Nuns Story is a great film . A must for Peter Finch fans as well

#18 of 34 darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 810 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted January 13 2012 - 05:17 AM

I'd like to see the BBC's from 72-73, which brought Anthony Hopkins great acclaim. It doesn't seem to be available in R1, though.

The BBC made series out of War And Peace? I just saw some of A Nun's Story not too long ago, very good.

#19 of 34 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,119 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 13 2012 - 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by adklz 

Fred Zinnemann's film of "The Nun's Story" not only has Audrey Hepburn's greatest performance, but it is a great film and should not be allowed to fade away. When it was originally released it was a tremendous hit, the biggest money maker in Warner Bros. history and would probably have been the big Oscar winner if it hadn't been up against "Ben-Hur" However, it's also a film that could never be made today. Although it is, in part, about religion it is not a religious movie. It's actually about the intellectual struggle of the main character as she tries to conform to her society's(in this case her religious order) expectations of her. Today's audiences care little for character development and would have no patience for a movie with such stately pacing, however crucial it is for the story being told, and little action.

Could not agree more. The DVD didn't look great, but I was glad to get it. It's always been among my favorite Hepburn movies and my favorite all-time movies. Such a tremendous cast (Edith Evans, Coleen Dewhurst, Dean Jagger, Peter Finch, Peggy Ashcroft, Mildred Dunnock, and others), and that Franz Waxman score is superb..

#20 of 34 Roco

Roco

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted January 13 2012 - 09:10 AM

I have always liked THE UNFORGIVEN a good little western with burt lancaster