Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

IR Remote Extender for HT

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   n3ok318

n3ok318

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted January 12 2012 - 11:49 AM

As I am building my HT, I realized I need to run the wires for IR remote extender before putting the walls up. From my knowledge, CAT5 would be the wire I need, and on the receive end, I will have to connect it to the IR Receiver. On the send end, I will have an IR control box and have it connected to the receiver, tv box, ps3 etc. Is that correct? And if someone can give me links to the actual products I need to buy, that would be great.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   n3ok318

n3ok318

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted January 12 2012 - 12:35 PM

I was chatting with Monoprice and two of the tech support recommended me this http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2 I wanted a cleaner look with a hole in the wall with IR receiver sticking out rather than placing the huge receiver in front of the screen. Are my options limited here?

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,233 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted January 12 2012 - 10:51 PM

You want a an IR hub and the associated receivers/emitters that go with it. http://www.parts-exp...tNumber=182-860

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Producer

• 3,279 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted January 13 2012 - 02:10 AM

I use a system from Buffalo Electronics that is very similar to the one that Robert_J linked to (it's also offered at Parts-Express).

You usually have to piece together the full system (receiver block, power supply, repeater, flashers), I have an "eye" mounted above my screen right where the wall meets the ceiling.  I used generic cat-5 wiring to make the runs (just choose matching conductors at each end) and in some cases, to extend the flashers (for my projector).

It's a fun, and relatively easy DIY project.  Good luck.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users