Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2488 replies to this topic

#1821 of 2489 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,092 posts

Posted October 21 2013 - 06:41 AM

When you see it, you'll have a deja vu experience because the "Cheyenne" episode that introduced Samantha was recycled as the S2 "Maverick" episode  "Yellow River" only this time with a Samantha clone (though Bart at one point twice asks this woman "You wouldn't happen to have any relatives named Crawford would you?   Samantha Crawford?"     It's one of the earliest examples of how Warner would do this a lot.

#1822 of 2489 OFFLINE   Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Supporting Actor

• 603 posts

Posted October 21 2013 - 01:50 PM

I recently watched 22 episodes of "Dragnet" (1950s) on a box set released by Echo Bridge Entertainment. I assume it was p.d. because the prints were generally in poor condition. But I loved watching them. I'ld love to see more. There were hundreds of episodes. Have there been other releases? Has there ever been a legit release by the copyright owner? (Not sure if this was discussed earlier, but I came to this thread late and I'm not gonna plow through 91 pages of posts.) 

Thanks.

#1823 of 2489 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,092 posts

Posted October 21 2013 - 02:07 PM

THe various public domain releases over the years are all the same episodes with a few random differences here and there.      I have the old Madacy release of about 25 episodes I think.    They all use the same 16mm source material so you'll never see any difference in video quality on any of them.      The Shout release of 60s Dragnet S3 (I think) has one additional 50s episode as a bonus not included in other PD releases.

I still prefer 50s Dragnet on radio, especially with Friday's first partner, Ben Romero played by Barton Yarborough who tragically died after doing just the first two TV episodes in late 1951 and after doing the role on radio for two and  half years.     I've never fully warmed up to Ben Alexander as Frank Smith by contrast.

• JoeDoakes likes this

#1824 of 2489 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,989 posts

Posted October 22 2013 - 05:28 AM

I found this collection on amazon (http://www.amazon.co...=I3UO7ZMVVL15IK). I haven't watched it, but there seem to be at least some fairly unique episodes (The Human Bomb), as well as some Jack Webb rarities.

#1825 of 2489 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,989 posts

Posted October 22 2013 - 05:29 AM

I still prefer 50s Dragnet on radio, especially with Friday's first partner, Ben Romero played by Barton Yarborough who tragically died after doing just the first two TV episodes in late 1951 and after doing the role on radio for two and  half years.     I've never fully warmed up to Ben Alexander as Frank Smith by contrast.

Anyone interested in this show should really check out the radio programs.  They're terrific.  Some of the best OTR ever.

• Richard V likes this

#1826 of 2489 OFFLINE   Silverking

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator

• 85 posts

Posted October 22 2013 - 05:48 AM

I found this collection on amazon (http://www.amazon.co...=I3UO7ZMVVL15IK). I haven't watched it, but there seem to be at least some fairly unique episodes (The Human Bomb), as well as some Jack Webb rarities.

Not as common as some of the episodes but has appeared on previous compilations.

I think there are 61 odd episodes on the various PD releases.

#1827 of 2489 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,557 posts

Posted October 22 2013 - 06:15 AM

Anyone interested in this show should really check out the radio programs.  They're terrific.  Some of the best OTR ever.

Listened to one on Sirius radio.  It was great.

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#1828 of 2489 OFFLINE   Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Supporting Actor

• 603 posts

Posted November 18 2013 - 10:35 AM

I did a review of the Dragnet box set on my blog, with pictures:

http://briandanacamp.wordpress.com

Remember the episode with Michael Ansara as a grieving husband?

10894343276_99344b2421.jpg

Or Lee Marvin as an unrepentant serial killer?

10887314585_e618caeaee.jpg

#1829 of 2489 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 522 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted November 19 2013 - 06:41 PM

Since this is a landmark show, a comprehensive 1950's Dragnet set should  have  been  released long ago, but at this stage , who would do it? Seems like companies are shying away from releasing b & W shows , especially  shows that have episodes in the Public Domain . .

#1830 of 2489 OFFLINE   Dan McW

Dan McW

Second Unit

• 339 posts

Posted November 20 2013 - 03:59 PM

Or Lee Marvin as an unrepentant serial killer?

10887314585_e618caeaee.jpg

Lee Marvin's episode was called "The Big Cast," perhaps sarcastically because Lee is the only cast member in the show besides the regulars.

#1831 of 2489 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,571 posts

Posted December 06 2013 - 09:50 PM

POPULAR

Bringing over a discussion from another thread because it fits here so well:

Yes, I always thought this was a backward step as far as the fans of older classic TV were concerned. Timeless didn't always get it right but did make available an awful lot of material which would never have seen the light of day but for them.

From what I can gather Timeless haven't released anything that wasn't acquired prior to the takeover. Shout have indicated they are moving away from 'classic' TV thus there are no independents in the field to release this stuff. TGG have put out a few items from the old ZIV catalogue but this was probably a one off. I know Image have just done 'Naked City' but they are hardly prolific. We are therefore left with what the studios will release, which I suspect won't be a great deal.

Regrettably, I must agree with everything Chris has stated.  Right now things are not looking good with regards to Timeless specifically and, somewhat by default, B/W TV on DVD in general.  The slowdown that began several years ago, with a few surges here and there, seems to really be kicking in now.  The second half of this year really has been sparse, and it doesn't look like it will get any better next year if January and February are any indication. 

I went and looked at the stats (i.e. releases) since August and they really are grim.  Less than a dozen new b/w series releases (not counting re-releases of any kind), and I've only been interested in half of those since many are the WB westerns that don't really interest me.

Gary "not saying we won't still get some older material released, but I honestly don't see it picking back up strong from here" O.

• Steve...O, Jeff Willis and Ron1973 like this
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#1832 of 2489 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,092 posts

Posted December 07 2013 - 10:00 AM

S2 of "Burke's Law" is my only B/W show that if it isn't released will always leave me with a sense of having an unscratchable itch I can't attend to collecting wise.    If that makes it, I can be 100% at peace even if other titles that I might be interested in never make it.

#1833 of 2489 OFFLINE   jrol

jrol

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted December 07 2013 - 10:39 AM

S2 of "Burke's Law" is my only B/W show that if it isn't released will always leave me with a sense of having an unscratchable itch I can't attend to collecting wise.    If that makes it, I can be 100% at peace even if other titles that I might be interested in never make it.

Yes to this.  I have a few more B&W series that I would still jump on if somehow they ever saw release, such as Burns & Allen, the remaining seasons of ZANE GREY THEATER, etc., but the second season of BURKE'S LAW is an item whose continued absence still bothers me, and I still hold out hope that it will come out on DVD before the curtain truly falls on B&W series sets.

#1834 of 2489 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,571 posts

Posted December 17 2013 - 06:23 PM

Re-posting this news here:

According to the CBS Syndication Bible, Our Miss Brooks Season One is being transferred into HD!!  That's big time news in my book.  And completely unexpected.

Gary "very excited to read this information" O.

• Jeff Willis likes this
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#1835 of 2489 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,171 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted December 17 2013 - 06:47 PM

According to the CBS Syndication Bible, Our Miss Brooks Season One is being transferred into HD!!  That's big time news in my book.  And completely unexpected.

CBS continues to amaze! I wonder what other surprises they have in store?

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#1836 of 2489 ONLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,649 posts

Posted December 17 2013 - 07:13 PM

Kind of off-topic (i.e. not release related).

But the Game Show Network (at least for the next two weeks) is showing What's My Line and I've Got A Secret in the wee hours (2am/2:30am CST) Monday through Friday.

What's My Line is one of my favorite shows of all time  (after Doctor Who, Remington Steele, and The Rockford Files),

David

#1837 of 2489 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,171 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted December 17 2013 - 08:53 PM

I've never watched it, Gary, but usually shows of that era don't disappoint for me. A friend on Facebook gave me a link to some of the episodes on YouTube. I intend on watching those after Christmas and seeing what I think! I'd say right now without watching those that I would still go blind buy for the series.

• Gary OS likes this

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#1838 of 2489 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,989 posts

Posted December 18 2013 - 09:52 AM

CBS taking steps to potentially release Our Miss Brooks has to be one of the tv on DVD biggest surprises ever.  I wonder what their thinking is about that.  Personally, I'd still like them to revisit Bilko.

#1839 of 2489 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,025 posts

Posted December 18 2013 - 10:43 AM

I recently read a book about the making of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show."  The book said Mary Richards was the first single, employed woman on television.

After rolling my eyes and shaking my head, I reviewed the book on Amazon and I said I think that honor should go to Connie Brooks, on "Our Miss Brooks," which began on radio 22 years before "The MTM Show" and on television 18 years before.  (There were other single, employed women before MTM, too, such as Ann Sothern in two series; even Lucy Carmichael eventually worked for Mr. Mooney.)

Maybe there's some feminist push to get Miss Brooks on home video.

I'm kidding about that, of course, but I hope CBS is really thinking of releasing this -- in HD, no less -- because I'm tired of watching those horrible, cut syndicated prints on YouTube.

• Rob_Ray and Ron1973 like this

#1840 of 2489 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,025 posts

Posted December 18 2013 - 10:58 AM

The CBS Syndication Bible says this for "Our Miss Brooks":

"This series will be transferred into HD and have the following masters:

Network 4x3 (Season 1, 32 episodes)"

However, the first season had 38 episodes, so as usual, I'm confused and pessimistic.

Confused -----> :huh:

Pessimistic ------> :unsure:

• JoeDoakes likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users