-

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2479 replies to this topic

#1621 of 2480 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,565 posts

Posted June 11 2013 - 05:53 PM

Gary, what happened to the sample episodes I sent you of HARBOR COMMAND? I think there were about 6-8 shows and they will give you an idea on just how good of a series it is, so you won't be flying blind. :)

Ugh!  I completely forgot about those!  You are so right, and I'm going to pull those out so I can get an idea of the series.  My bad [insert embarrassed face here].

Gary "I knew there was something nagging me about this series - thanks for reminding me about those, Glen" O.

• Professor Echo likes this
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#1622 of 2480 OFFLINE   jdee28

jdee28

Screenwriter

• 1,005 posts

Posted June 12 2013 - 08:22 AM

Encore Westerns shows the half-hour episodes under the Gunsmoke title, but their season-six episodes have a different closing theme song and a different font for the end credits. Did the Marshall Dillon episodes have their own theme song, and is that what is being heard on Encore? On DVD, all of the season-six episodes were presented under the Gunsmoke title and had the original Gunsmoke end-credit theme and font, with the exception of the episode "Love Thy Neighbor," which had the alternate theme song and font.

I think that's because when Encore Westerns acquired them, newly remastered prints of the complete sixth season weren't finished yet. Some of their season six copies are beat up and have the old Marshall Dillon titles. The syndicated Marshall Dillon episodes did have their own opening, just a drawing of Matt, and their own theme song.

Here's some more Gunsmoke trivia: the first season openings with Matt on Boot Hill were the idea of producer Charles Marquis Warren. He'd do something similar for Rawhide, his creation, by having many early episodes open with a Gil Favor voice over, which were quotes from Favor's diary. I think it fit Rawhide better; I never thought the Boot Hill segments on Gunsmoke were that necessary.

The first episode where Kitty wears a beauty mark is "Cooter," production episode 27, the first episode Charles Warren didn't direct and the first where Norman MacDonnell, one of Gunsmoke's creators on radio, is credited as associate producer. MacDonnell and Warren did not get along; perhaps this was a subtle way for MacDonnell to start to put his stamp on things.

Edited by jdee28, June 12 2013 - 08:25 AM.

#1623 of 2480 OFFLINE   jdee28

jdee28

Screenwriter

• 1,005 posts

Posted June 14 2013 - 02:21 PM

Has anyone found a good deal yet on the new Rawhide season? Feel free to chime in :)

#1624 of 2480 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,565 posts

Posted June 14 2013 - 03:54 PM

Has anyone found a good deal yet on the new Rawhide season? Feel free to chime in :)

A very good friend just told me that the half-season sets can be had for $19.99 a piece at Sam's Club.  That's only $40 (plus a little for tax) for the season and the best price I'm aware of.

Gary "the same goes for the latest Gunsmoke releases" O.

#1625 of 2480 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,528 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 14 2013 - 04:33 PM

Gary, let me know if you ever see any Timeless releases back at Sam's. They apparently lost the contract they used to have with them, maybe related to Shout, I don't know. But they always had the best deals on Timeless and I miss them.

#1626 of 2480 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,266 posts

Posted June 14 2013 - 05:23 PM

A very good friend just told me that the half-season sets can be had for $19.99 a piece at Sam's Club.  That's only $40 (plus a little for tax) for the season and the best price I'm aware of.

I can confirm that I also saw Rawhide at Sam's for the same price.  Sometimes Walmart will have CBS/P new releases at the $19.99 price point also.  I purchased the last Matlock release at that price and have seen Gunsmoke and some others as well.

Glen, I was just at Sam's this evening and they had the latest Gene Autry TV show release for $9.99 (same as Walmart). But I haven't seen nearly as many Timeless releases in the past year or so as I used to. Ditto to CBS/P...they used to have all the major new releases but now it is hit and miss.

Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#1627 of 2480 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,612 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted June 14 2013 - 06:14 PM

I saw them here just last week - $19.99 each.  I looked for S3, S4, and S5 as I don't have them yet but all they had was S6.  Still... at that price I may just bite anyway.

#1628 of 2480 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,542 posts

Posted June 14 2013 - 06:28 PM

Gary, let me know if you ever see any Timeless releases back at Sam's. They apparently lost the contract they used to have with them, maybe related to Shout, I don't know. But they always had the best deals on Timeless and I miss them.

I was wondering why I never see them anymore at Sam's.  Now I know, very sad.

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#1629 of 2480 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,952 posts

Posted June 14 2013 - 10:51 PM

I was wondering why I never see them anymore at Sam's.  Now I know, very sad.

Sam's seems to have stepped back from DVDs alot.  I still see Timeless titles at Walmart!

#1630 of 2480 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,542 posts

Posted June 15 2013 - 05:57 AM

Sam's seems to have stepped back from DVDs alot.  I still see Timeless titles at Walmart!

Much to my surprise I've seen them at B&N as well.

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#1631 of 2480 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,612 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted June 15 2013 - 08:16 AM

It's the same here.  WM has increased their DVD titles, especially Timeless and other TVonDVD, while the DVD section at SAMs has shrunk to 50% of what it was a year ago.

#1632 of 2480 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,565 posts

Posted June 18 2013 - 05:44 AM

I bought the half season sets of Rawhide Season 6 at Sam's Club the other day at the price mentioned above.  Very thankful to the individual who originally told me about this.  $40 was my max out price for this and I had thought it'd be a long, long wait.  Glad it wasn't since this is a Top 5 series for me.

Gary "only one more season to go for me (don't have any interest in the 'Favorless' S8)" O.

• Jeff Willis likes this

#1633 of 2480 OFFLINE   jdee28

jdee28

Screenwriter

• 1,005 posts

Posted June 18 2013 - 10:01 AM

I bought the half season sets of Rawhide Season 6 at Sam's Club the other day at the price mentioned above.  Very thankful to the individual who originally told me about this.  $40 was my max out price for this and I had thought it'd be a long, long wait.  Glad it wasn't since this is a Top 5 series for me.

Gary "only one more season to go for me (don't have any interest in the 'Favorless' S8)" O.

If you're going to get the seventh season of Rawhide, you might want to prepare yourself. The producers for that season, including Bruce Geller who went on to do Mission: Impossible and Mannix, really did a number on the show, treating it more as a farce than anything else. Just wait to see the two-part episode "Damon's Road." Quite a far, far cry from the realism of the Charles Marquis Warren years. I'm all for experimenting and trying new things, but Geller and co. went a little too far with Rawhide. They didn't seem to give the show or characters the respect that they earned over the last 6 seasons.

#1634 of 2480 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Second Unit

• 486 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted June 22 2013 - 06:11 PM

I just recieved an order from Warner Archives. Cheyenne seasons 4 and 5 are real pressed DVD's ,as is season 2 of Courtship Of Eddie's Father. I also recieved Cheyenne Season 3 , but it's a DVD-R.  It seems like WA has shifted production on some titles to regular pressed DVDs which I personally  prefer. (Sugarfoot, Dr Kildare, and both volumes of the bowery Boys are real DVDs). Is anyone out there aware of others? , Maisie ?,  Andy Hardy?,  Great Gildersleeve, Litlle Rascals ? etc?

#1635 of 2480 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,565 posts

Posted June 22 2013 - 06:33 PM

If you're going to get the seventh season of Rawhide, you might want to prepare yourself.

I'm aware of what you're talking about, having heard it from others in the past.  And because I've had a chance to view some of them for myself.  But if for no other reason, I have to buy S7 just to see the infamous "Lost Herd" episode, in its remastered glory.  See, I've already got S7 from Australia, but I'm willing to double-dip for the R1 discs since they'll presumably be cleaned up.

Gary "but S7 is as far as I go - I positively will NOT be purchasing S8" O.

#1636 of 2480 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,565 posts

Posted June 23 2013 - 05:44 PM

Watched the Rawhide episode from S6 starring Elizabeth Montgomery tonight and witnessed one of those stranger than fiction moments when Favor asks if Montgomery's character is a witch.  Unless I'm mistaken, this bit of dialog predated Bewitched by about a year.  What a hoot.

Gary " :lol: " O.

• Jeff Willis and Professor Echo like this

#1637 of 2480 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,028 posts

Posted June 23 2013 - 06:16 PM

These kinds of serendipitous moments happen a lot in these shows.     On "Burke's Law" for instance there's one episode where Barbara Eden is wearing a costume that seems like a Jeannie screen test, and in another episode when Captain Burke comes to interview a suspect, the suspect erroneously calls him "Captain Kirk."    But what elevates that to the "you can't make this up" department, in the *same* episode where he's called Captain Kirk by one suspect, another suspect is named "Miss Tribble"!

• Ockeghem and Ron1973 like this

#1638 of 2480 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted June 24 2013 - 02:36 AM

Watched the Rawhide episode from S6 starring Elizabeth Montgomery tonight and witnessed one of those stranger than fiction moments when Favor asks if Montgomery's character is a witch.  Unless I'm mistaken, this bit of dialog predated Bewitched by about a year.  What a hoot.

Gary " :lol: " O.

As a fan of both shows, that's great :lol:

"Endora" conjures up a herd to select a prime steak for dinner... heading down 'Morning Glory Circle'.

I can hear Darrin... "Sam, get rid of those cows!"

• Gary OS likes this

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#1639 of 2480 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,565 posts

Posted July 02 2013 - 08:06 AM

I finished up the first disc (4 episodes) of Rawhide S6, V1 this past weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it.  As is often the case, the show filmed plenty on location for these early season eps and it really made my day.  Some beautiful scenery was on display, and the episodes were well written.  Definitely my favorite TV western series of all time!

Gary "HGWT is right behind it at #2" O.

• Professor Echo likes this

#1640 of 2480 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,277 posts

Posted July 02 2013 - 09:53 AM

I just thought I'd add that we watch a lot of b&w television in our home and we'll continue to do so for many years. :)

I recently purchased the three seasons of The Patty Duke Show and my family and I are thoroughly enjoying it.  I have the entire series taped off of television on VHS tape, but it's really good to have this series on DVD.  Although the video quality wasn't too bad on the tapes, every now and then the audio was challenging.

Some of the other b&w shows that we watch on a regular basis include Dark ShadowsThe Fugitive, season one of Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C., Leave It To Beaver, The Outer LimitsPerry Mason, and The Rifleman, among others.

• Gary OS and LouA like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users