-

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

• Please log in to reply
2434 replies to this topic

#1561 of 2435 Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,105 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted May 22 2013 - 07:38 PM

Great article, Ron.  Thank you!  Now I'm curious as to what is really in Orlando.  This could be a Batmobile like situation where the show had multiple versions of the vehicle.  I didn't realize until today that George Barris also did the BH truck.

There was a reproduction done for the movie but only the one truck for the entire run of the series. Max Baer, Jr. talked about how tough the thing was to drive....no power steering or power brakes and he said it drove like a tank. I think the reproduction may be the one in Orlando.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#1562 of 2435 Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 622 posts

Posted May 23 2013 - 10:45 AM

Thanks, Gary.  I don't recall ever seeing these before; this is great stuff. 

Incidentally, the Hillbillies truck is now at the Planet Hollywood at Downtown Disney in Orlando for anyone in the area interested in seeing it.   Also, when watching that video one of the sidebar videos was Don Adams selling "the Electronic Detective". Talk about memories!  I had one of those as a kid and couldn't get enough of it.

I had this two and I could never figure the damn thin out. Of, course, I was in 4th grade. I still think it's somewhere in my parent's attic with my Mattel electronic games. I never threw anything out.

#1563 of 2435 Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 11:01 AM

Has anyone ever compiled a complete list of TV series that began production in black-and-white and switched to color before the end of their run? (E.g., "Wagon Train," "Gilligan's Island")

#1564 of 2435 Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,222 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 11:25 AM

Has anyone ever compiled a complete list of TV series that began production in black-and-white and switched to color before the end of their run? (E.g., "Wagon Train," "Gilligan's Island")

I have the following:

Lost in Space

Combat!

Gilligan's Island

The Wild Wild West

Superman

The Fugitive

Lassie (Homemade DVD)

Edited by Regulus, May 24 2013 - 11:28 AM.

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 36,333 :biggrin: ( 746 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,395   :B)   Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#1565 of 2435 maskedmala

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 11:39 AM

Hazel

#1566 of 2435 maskedmala

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 11:40 AM

The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

#1567 of 2435 maskedmala

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 11:41 AM

My Three Sons

#1568 of 2435 Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted May 24 2013 - 12:00 PM

Virtually every show that was in the midst of a multi-season run in 1965-66 switched from b&w to color.  Everything from perennial classics such as Gunsmoke and The Andy Griffith Show to such now-overlooked series as Please Don't Eat the Daisies.

There are too many to list here, but off the top of my head, besides the ones noted above, I can think of:

The Lucy Show

Branded

F Troop

The Beverly Hillbillies

Petticoat Junction

The Fugitive

Bewitched

I Dream of Jeannie

The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet

Superman

The Lone Ranger

Wagon Train

Lost in Space

The Hollywood Palace

The Danny Kaye Show

all the daytime soaps, including the surviving Dark Shadows

all the game shows, including the surviving Password

There are many, many more.

#1569 of 2435 Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 622 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 01:51 PM

Virtually every show that was in the midst of a multi-season run in 1965-66 switched from b&w to color.  Everything from perennial classics such as Gunsmoke and The Andy Griffith Show to such now-overlooked series as Please Don't Eat the Daisies.

There are too many to list here, but off the top of my head, besides the ones noted above, I can think of:

The Lucy Show

Branded

F Troop

The Beverly Hillbillies

Petticoat Junction

The Fugitive

Bewitched

I Dream of Jeannie

The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet

Superman

The Lone Ranger

Wagon Train

Lost in Space

The Hollywood Palace

The Danny Kaye Show

all the daytime soaps, including the surviving Dark Shadows

all the game shows, including the surviving Password

There are many, many more.

The pilots to Hogan's Heroes and Get Smart were both filmed in b/w

#1570 of 2435 Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,520 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 01:57 PM

The next logical question is, "Are there any shows that were BETTER in B&W before they made the switch to color?"

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#1571 of 2435 Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 02:02 PM

The next logical question is, "Are there any shows that were BETTER in B&W before they made the switch to color?"

Most of them were, because they were fresher in their earlier seasons.  Especially Bewitched, Beverly Hillbillies, Andy Griffith and Gunsmoke.  The switch to color may have had little to do with it.

Edited by Rob_Ray, May 24 2013 - 02:03 PM.

#1572 of 2435 Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,105 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted May 24 2013 - 02:04 PM

Most of them were, because they were fresher in their earlier seasons.  Especially Bewitched, Beverly Hillbillies, Andy Griffith and Gunsmoke.

I think The Beverly Hillbillies hit its stride in Season 4, the first color season. Andy Griffith was much better in black and white; the color seasons felt more like a new show. Bewitched I've never saw that many of the black and white shows to know as only the color ones were syndicated here and Gunsmoke was better, to me anyway, in its later seasons.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

#1573 of 2435 Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 02:27 PM

Bewitched was almost an entirely different show in its black and white years, due to several factors many of which have little to do with the switch to color.  In seasons one and two, it was a romantic comedy similar to "Bell, Book and Candle" in which a young sophisticated witch chooses to throw her former life away when she meets the man of her dreams who happens to be mortal.  It was about two people in love making a mixed marriage work.  Alice Pearce was a perplexed Gladys Kravitz who thought she was losing her mind when she saw the magic going on across the street.  Irene Vernon was the poised, older, sophisticated Boss's wife, Louise Tate.  The look of the show was almost noirish, occasionally reminiscent of "I Married a Witch."  Tabitha came along mid-way through season two, but as a newborn she was seldom out of her crib.

Season Three went color with major changes. Alice Pearce's death caused Gladys Kravitz to be recast with Sandra Gould, who became much more of a nemesis.  Sandra's Gladys never reached for her pills.  She was more apt to call the cops.  Louise Tate was recast with Kasey Rogers, who played her younger, more casual and fun-loving.   The introduction of Tabitha as a toddler meant there were a lot more juvenile hijinks.   Clearly, ABC wanted the show to start going after the juvenile audience.  With rare exceptions, the emphasis was more on getting laughs with the magic without the poignancy of the tender love story getting in the way.  The addition of color meant garish color everywhere, from Endora's makeup and costumes to the whole look of the show.  No more "I Married a Witch."  Now it might as well have been "Gilligan's Island" as far as the cinematography was concerned.

Even the way Elizabeth Montgomery approached the role was different.  She was softer, more like Veronica Lake, in the early years.  She was a little more Lucille Ball, with her "Weeeellll!" later on.

Edited by Rob_Ray, May 24 2013 - 02:29 PM.

#1574 of 2435 Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,105 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted May 24 2013 - 02:59 PM

Bewitched was almost an entirely different show in its black and white years, due to several factors many of which have little to do with the switch to color.  In seasons one and two, it was a romantic comedy similar to "Bell, Book and Candle" in which a young sophisticated witch chooses to throw her former life away when she meets the man of her dreams who happens to be mortal.  It was about two people in love making a mixed marriage work.  Alice Pearce was a perplexed Gladys Kravitz who thought she was losing her mind when she saw the magic going on across the street.  Irene Vernon was the poised, older, sophisticated Boss's wife, Louise Tate.  The look of the show was almost noirish, occasionally reminiscent of "I Married a Witch."  Tabitha came along mid-way through season two, but as a newborn she was seldom out of her crib.

Season Three went color with major changes. Alice Pearce's death caused Gladys Kravitz to be recast with Sandra Gould, who became much more of a nemesis.  Sandra's Gladys never reached for her pills.  She was more apt to call the cops.  Louise Tate was recast with Kasey Rogers, who played her younger, more casual and fun-loving.   The introduction of Tabitha as a toddler meant there were a lot more juvenile hijinks.   Clearly, ABC wanted the show to start going after the juvenile audience.  With rare exceptions, the emphasis was more on getting laughs with the magic without the poignancy of the tender love story getting in the way.  The addition of color meant garish color everywhere, from Endora's makeup and costumes to the whole look of the show.  No more "I Married a Witch."  Now it might as well have been "Gilligan's Island" as far as the cinematography was concerned.

Even the way Elizabeth Montgomery approached the role was different.  She was softer, more like Veronica Lake, in the early years.  She was a little more Lucille Ball, with her "Weeeellll!" later on.

I never knew for years it was even filmed in b&w. I walked into someone's house one evening and TV Land or someone was playing one of the early episodes. I should have known it stood to reason it started in b&w.

You're so right about the influx of TOO much color. However, I think a lot of shows went that direction. Sort of a "look what we can do now" sorta thing.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

#1575 of 2435 LouA

LouA

Second Unit

• 462 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted May 24 2013 - 03:30 PM

Hazel

Hazel actually had one color episode during it's initial  B & W season. The episode had to do with buying a color television set!

#1576 of 2435 Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,554 posts

Posted May 26 2013 - 05:57 PM

I'm a bit concerned that my final holy grail, The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet, is in a bad spot right now.  Don't ask me why I'm concerned.  Just know that I'm concerned.  Hopefully those concerns fade and we hear some positive news soon. 

Gary "also hoping we eventually get the final volume of Steve Canyon - I know John is doing the best he can" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#1577 of 2435 PatrickGoodluck

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted May 26 2013 - 06:38 PM

Gary, I figure you must have some valid reason for your concerns based on some inside information, unless it's just a gut feeling. Either way, here's hoping (in the not too distant future) that there's some positive news on the horizon.

Edited by PatrickGoodluck, May 26 2013 - 06:39 PM.

#1578 of 2435 Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,554 posts

Posted May 26 2013 - 07:06 PM

Patrick, all I'll say is that I've heard from multiple sources that things are not running as smoothly as hoped.  But I'll go no further than that, and instead simply say that we all need to hope for better things going forward.

Gary "what a shame it would be if this project got stymied and stalled out" O.

#1579 of 2435 Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,016 posts

Posted May 26 2013 - 08:33 PM

Am I the only one getting sick of these "I know something you don't know" messages?

If you have something to say, say it.  If you CAN'T say it, please don't say anything.  Thanks.

#1580 of 2435 Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,554 posts

Posted May 27 2013 - 03:09 AM

POPULAR

Am I the only one that has noticed how much more unfriendly this place has become recently?  Seems like bad attitudes rule the day now.  It's no wonder I'm posting less and less.

Gary "between the bad attitudes and the people that just want to see their names at the top of the page in multiple threads they've started, it's getting tougher to find the will to engage - I miss the good old days where some of my all-time favorite posters used to be here regularly - sigh..." O.

• Randy Korstick, Steve...O, Jeff Willis and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users