-

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

• Please log in to reply
2434 replies to this topic

#1521 of 2435 Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,430 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted May 03 2013 - 05:00 AM

Yes, I think the show did degrade black people with some stereotypes. Of course, everyone also kind of glosses over the fact that The Jeffersons degraded white people. There were three regular characters who were white and two of them are depicted as buffoons (Willis and Bentley) and the third (Ralph) is seen as a greedy little weasel. I'll state the obvious. It's not proper to degrade any group on TV or otherwise

The Jeffersons did not degrade white people any more than The Honeymooners, Laurel and Hardy or The Three Stooges did.  Those characters were indeed comic buffoons, as was Mother Jefferson and George Jefferson himself.  Louise and Mrs. Willis were the "straight" characters that the buffoons could play off of, just as Alice and Trixie were in The Honeymooners.  And I'll grant you that Lionel and the daughter were played straight as well.  However, everyone else, black and white, were comic stereotypes.  It's all situation comedy 101 and race had nothing to do with it.  Ditto Amos and Andy, which was set in a totally black world with buffoons and straight characters alike all played by African Americans.

• Jeff Willis and Ron1973 like this

#1522 of 2435 Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,105 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted May 03 2013 - 07:14 AM

The Jeffersons did not degrade white people any more than The Honeymooners, Laurel and Hardy or The Three Stooges did.  Those characters were indeed comic buffoons, as was Mother Jefferson and George Jefferson himself.  Louise and Mrs. Willis were the "straight" characters that the buffoons could play off of, just as Alice and Trixie were in The Honeymooners.  And I'll grant you that Lionel and the daughter were played straight as well.  However, everyone else, black and white, were comic stereotypes.  It's all situation comedy 101 and race had nothing to do with it.  Ditto Amos and Andy, which was set in a totally black world with buffoons and straight characters alike all played by African Americans.

George was the black version of Archie Bunker. I was never offended at George putting down white people; it was all in fun and it was meant to be that way.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#1523 of 2435 Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard

Second Unit

• 311 posts

Posted May 03 2013 - 07:45 AM

It's all situation comedy 101 and race had nothing to do with it.  Ditto Amos and Andy, which was set in a totally black world with buffoons and straight characters alike all played by African Americans.

I think the TV version of A&A is cursed by the fact that its origins are in a radio show created by two white men (in virtual blackface).  No matter how funny it might have been, it's problematic to modern audiences (and wasn't completely without controversy in its day).  If the television version didn't have those roots, it would probably be more accepted now, like other ethnic fifties comedies (see: The Goldbergs).

Edited by Guy Foulard, May 03 2013 - 12:04 PM.

#1524 of 2435 Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 622 posts

Posted May 03 2013 - 08:24 AM

I'll just say this and not go into detail so as not to break forum rules. IMO racism (overt and subtle) has run BOTH ways on TV since it's inception. The targets have just changed and alternated throughout the years.

#1525 of 2435 Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,345 posts

Posted May 03 2013 - 10:38 AM

I think the TV version of A&A is cursed by the fact that its origins are in a radio show created by two white men (in virtual blackface). 

And in literal blackface, when they tried spinning a movie off from the 30's series.  Which, FTR, the two hated, since it distracted from the characters, a different blackfaced white actor had to play Kingfish, and the script was written by a completely different studio house-musical writer who went for mainstream gags and didn't quite understand the dialogue rhythm of the show....And yet which still was used as "proof" that the makers of the show were outdated stereotyped and racist, etc.

As for Jeffersons and Sanford & Son, I agree they're more racist by today's standards (think I said that in a Netflix review, and someone's stealing it  :P  )--Coming from the days when 70's TV would bend over backwards to make series "for" blacks, making sure we still got the mouthy./jive urbanites and symbolically dorky white people to go with the "positive" empowered images. 

#1526 of 2435 Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 622 posts

Posted May 03 2013 - 11:20 AM

I don't really take issue with shows like Sanford and Son or Good Times because they had no regular white characters on them and race was dealt with pretty evenly across the board. The Jeffersons was different for the reasons I already stated.  There were 3 regular white characters. ALL 3 were portrayed in a negative light. Someone made the point that George and his mother were also negative characters, but I argue that there were enough other positive depicitions of black folks on the show to balance that out, whereas there were no positive white characters.

Also note that this subtle stereotyping also occurs in the iconic Cosby Show IMO. The only pseudo reoccurring white characters on the show were Rudi's young friend Peter and his father. Both were portrayed as idiots. Peter was an awkward, overweight kid with no personality who didn't even speak. I usually respect Cosby for his well handled vocal comments on race, but in this instance, I think he got it wrong

#1527 of 2435 Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,554 posts

Posted May 03 2013 - 12:14 PM

POPULAR

I hope everyone realizes that the "b&w era" portion of my thread title doesn't refer to people's skin color.  Just sayin'.  :3dglasses:

Gary "can we please get the thread back on topic before a mod has to come in here yet again?" O.

• Randy Korstick, Rob_Ray, Jeff Willis and 1 other like this
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#1528 of 2435 Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,522 posts

Posted May 03 2013 - 01:08 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^

This

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#1529 of 2435 Darby67

Darby67

Second Unit

• 281 posts

Posted May 03 2013 - 01:32 PM

I'm looking forward the complete series/season set releases of The Rifleman and The Rebel.  Hopefully we will hear some details soon.

Darby

• Gary OS likes this

#1530 of 2435 Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,430 posts

Posted May 03 2013 - 02:03 PM

I'd love some season sets of "The Farmer's Daughter."  That's a show that seems to have vanished.

• Gary OS likes this

#1531 of 2435 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,388 posts

Posted May 03 2013 - 02:14 PM

Me Too!

I'm looking forward the complete series/season set releases of The Rifleman and The Rebel.  Hopefully we will hear some details soon.

Darby

Edited by Randy Korstick, May 03 2013 - 02:16 PM.

• Gary OS likes this
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#1532 of 2435 BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,581 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted May 03 2013 - 05:52 PM

I'd love some season sets of "The Farmer's Daughter."  That's a show that seems to have vanished.

I'd purchase that one too!  I was 8 and in love with Inger Stevens enough that I passed on watching The Twilight Zone most weeks in favor or The Farmer's Daughter for those original airings.  I didn't care much for the 3rd season (only one in color) because she married the Congressman.  Did that one ever air in syndication anywhere?  I don't ever recall it airing in my neck of the woods after those initial network broadcasts.

#1533 of 2435 Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,430 posts

Posted May 03 2013 - 07:52 PM

I'd purchase that one too!  I was 8 and in love with Inger Stevens enough that I passed on watching The Twilight Zone most weeks in favor or The Farmer's Daughter for those original airings.  I didn't care much for the 3rd season (only one in color) because she married the Congressman.  Did that one ever air in syndication anywhere?  I don't ever recall it airing in my neck of the woods after those initial network broadcasts.

I think it did in the late sixties, but possibly not since then.  The thing I remember about that last season was that she played the character very differently.  In the first season, she seemed like she stepped right out of a Swedish version of "I Remember Mama" and by that third season, any trace of a Swedish accent was gone.

#1534 of 2435 Ronald Green

Ronald Green

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted May 04 2013 - 04:26 AM

The Farmer's Daughter did indeed go into syndication after its network run. I have some copies of the show when it aired on some local stations, as well as some TV guide ads promoting the show after it ended its network run. It also was ran on CBN (Christian Broadcast Network) during the mid-80s. They didn't show every episode because some episodes contained subject matter that didn't fit within their Christian views. I think there was an episode that dealt with horoscopes, and another episode that featured an unwed mother.

As far as Katy's Swedish accent disappearing, I have read some articles where Inger said it was a conscientious effort on her part to gradually remove her accent because Katy was becoming more sophisticated as the wife of a congressman and she was no longer a naive farm girl fresh off the farm-- or something like that.

Apparently, no tape masters were made for The Farmer's Daughter, and that CBN used 16mm prints when they aired the show. Those prints are reportedly in bad shape now, and the show needs to be remastered.

You can read more history about the show at The Farmer's Daughter thread here:

http://www.hometheat...ns#entry2964194

Edited by Ronald Green, May 04 2013 - 04:45 AM.

#1535 of 2435 Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,105 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted May 04 2013 - 06:45 AM

Count me in for The Rifleman if it comes out. It was airing, along with Daniel Boone, on World Harvest TV for a while. This was before I had a DVR and I was recording straight to the DVD recorder. When we went off standard time to daylight savings time, the recorder didn't update so I missed a ton of shows.  :unsure: The great thing is that what I did get, ran a full 25 minutes, so they were unedited.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#1536 of 2435 LouA

LouA

Second Unit

• 463 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted May 04 2013 - 04:01 PM

Darby

Has someone announced the release of the Rebel? I know season sets for the Rifleman are in the planning stages , but I haven't heard anything about the Rebel. If it is to be released, I hope they can license the Johhny Cash theme song.

#1537 of 2435 Darby67

Darby67

Second Unit

• 281 posts

Posted May 04 2013 - 05:56 PM

Has someone announced the release of the Rebel? I know season sets for the Rifleman are in the planning stages , but I haven't heard anything about the Rebel. If it is to be released, I hope they can license the Johhny Cash theme song.

Lou:

A few HTF members with prophetic abilities (i.e. crystal balls) have hinted at it in the "Upcoming Timeless Releases" thread here: http://www.hometheat...eleases/page-12

Darby

#1538 of 2435 Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,082 posts

Posted May 05 2013 - 01:07 PM

. It's not proper to degrade any group on TV or otherwise

Maybe not, but its damn funny.

• Ron1973 likes this

#1539 of 2435 Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,082 posts

Posted May 05 2013 - 01:12 PM

. I say "very few" because 74 out of 78 episodes are "out there' , being sold in the "gray market" (bootlegs). .

Its actually 72 of 78. There are 6 episodes which have remained elusive in the collectors' market.

#1540 of 2435 Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,554 posts

Posted May 05 2013 - 01:13 PM

Maybe not, but its damn funny.

Really?  You just wrote that?  [insert eye roll here]

Gary "scratching my head..." O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users