Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2550 replies to this topic

#1481 of 2551 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,512 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted April 25 2013 - 10:06 AM

I would say it probably jumped the shark when the crossovers with Petticoat Junction happened, or round about that time. There was always an element of silliness to the show but in the 7th season, Fairchild, Ellie's bear, was given almost human qualities other than being able to talk. The bear drove Mr. Drysdale to Hooterville in the old truck for instance. It just became rather outlandish.

The 8th and 9th seasons really took a weird turn. In the 8th season, the Clampetts went to visit "home" in Silver Dollar City and several new characters appeared that had been (supposedly) life long friends of the Clampetts but had never been mentioned prior with the exception of Elverna Bradshaw, who was played by Elvia Allman and had previously appeared in the 1st season. Elverna and Shorty Kellums wound up living in Beverly Hills at the mansion for a short time along with Shad Heller, another "back home" friend.

The 9th season got totally weird with the introduction of topics like Women's Lib and the appearance of Japanese characters who moved in with Jed and Jethro. At that point, both Max Baer, Jr and Donna Douglas were showing signs of getting older, so I'm sure if CBS hadn't have axed it during their "rural purge," it wouldn't have been too long before it happened.

CBS still seems ashamed of their rural heritage other than Andy and Gomer. Maybe Shout will pick up where they've left off.

Yes, I had forgotten just how bad "The Beverly Hillbillies" got in some of those later seasons.  Thanks for reminding me about Fairchild!   :rolleyes:  

I'd actually like the first two color seasons of "Hillbillies" and then I'd be done.   For me, Jed inheriting castles in England was jumping the shark.  The basic premise of the show is one that doesn't play well after five years -- the fact that the Hillbillies are "fish out of water" by living in the city.  After five or six years of living in an urban area like Los Angeles, you can no longer look at city life  with naive, wide-eyed wonderment.  (Well, actually, maybe you can in LA!)

#1482 of 2551 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,585 posts

Posted April 25 2013 - 11:06 AM

I feel the same way the last couple of posters do about The Beverly Hillbillies.  I'd buy up through Season 5, but nothing after that would interest me at all. 

As for Sgt Bilko, I didn't really forget it.  In fact I almost included it but didn't only because it's been prominent in other discussions on this board in the last several days.  But I agree it's a well known b/w show that certainly is right up there with other sitcoms of the era.

Gary "CBS was very close to releasing S2 of Bilko a year or so ago - it was on a preliminary schedule my crystal ball revealed to me at the time" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#1483 of 2551 OFFLINE   maskedmala

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator

• 161 posts

Posted April 25 2013 - 11:29 AM

Gary OS, too bad about Sgt Bilko S2. Your crystal ball had a very good percentage of prédictions, unfortunately Sgt Bilko S2 was in the didn't happen section

#1484 of 2551 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,585 posts

Posted April 25 2013 - 11:49 AM

Gary OS, too bad about Sgt Bilko S2. Your crystal ball had a very good percentage of prédictions, unfortunately Sgt Bilko S2 was in the didn't happen section

To be clear, the crystal ball wasn't wrong.  It told me that Sgt Bilko S2 was on a preliminary schedule, but would need to be approved by the finance dept or else it would not be released.  Clearly, it wasn't approved by whoever makes those decisions at CBS.  This is a pretty common issue.  If you knew of the number of titles that were on the runway yet didn't meet that requirement you'd probably be sick to your stomach.  Quite a few classic series have fallen into that category over the last few years.

Gary "on the plus side some sets were put on the back burner but then got back on the schedule and have been released - so never give up hope" O.

#1485 of 2551 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,690 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted April 25 2013 - 11:50 AM

I feel the same way the last couple of posters do about The Beverly Hillbillies.  I'd buy up through Season 5, but nothing after that would interest me at all. 

As for Sgt Bilko, I didn't really forget it.  In fact I almost included it but didn't only because it's been prominent in other discussions on this board in the last several days.  But I agree it's a well known b/w show that certainly is right up there with other sitcoms of the era.

Gary "CBS was very close to releasing S2 of Bilko a year or so ago - it was on a preliminary schedule my crystal ball revealed to me at the time" O.

Add me to the S5 and done voices about The Beverly Hillbillies.  It really started to wear thin after that season but I'd love to see CBS release S4 & S5 as well as a properly done S1.

CBS *really* needs to get S2 of Bilko released!  It's a tough call but I think I'd rather have S2 of Bilko than S4 of Hillbillies

I'd also go for My Little Margie, I Married Joan, and Life of Riley as well but after Ozzie it would be Bilko next and then the others.  Of course I'll take any of them that get proper releases!

Is there anyone/group at CBS we fans could nudge about a Bilko S2 release?

#1486 of 2551 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,201 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted April 25 2013 - 12:13 PM

I'd be in for all 9 seasons of The Hillbillies but, yes, the last few seasons were weaker. At some point you have to ask yourself "how stupid can Jethro really be?" Phil Silvers as a con-man was funny to an extent but it didn't work out, at least not for me, over the course of multiple episodes. I think Paul Henning (or whoever was actually writing the show at that point) was trying TOO hard.

Oddly, it was those last seasons that saw the influx of big name guest stars as opposed to previously. Phil Silvers, Soupy Sales, Pat Boone, Roy Clark, Sammy Davis, Jr., Rich Little and others. There had been big name guest stars before but those last 2-3 seasons saw quite a few.

I also think the Petticoat Junction episodes were more to prop up PJ than to bring in ratings for TBH. I'm not a huge aficionado on Petticoat Junction but I would think ratings were probably down with the loss of Bea Benaderet. 

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#1487 of 2551 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 596 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted April 25 2013 - 04:46 PM

I'd love to see the People's Choice with Jackie Cooper released, but I don't see much of a chance for that show . I'd also like to see any of the following released ;

December Bride, Trackdown, My Little Margie, Love That Bob, Our Miss Brooks , Bachelor Father , Pete And Gladys ,Amos And Andy, Green Acres, Captain Midnight , Ozzie And Harriet, Adventures In Paradise, Casey Jones , Andy's Gang , Sheena , Gray Ghost , Beverly Hillbillies , World Of Giants , Waterfront, American Bandstand , Shindig , Trouble With Father , Oh Susanna , The Americans (1961),  Burns And Allen, Father Of The Bride, It's About Time, Run For Your Life,  among  others. But realistically  I don't expect to see any of them released.

#1488 of 2551 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,627 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 25 2013 - 06:25 PM

I'd love to see the People's Choice with Jackie Cooper released, but I don't see much of a chance for that show . I'd also like to see any of the following released ;

December Bride, Trackdown, My Little Margie, Love That Bob, Our Miss Brooks , Bachelor Father , Pete And Gladys ,Amos And Andy, Green Acres, Captain Midnight , Ozzie And Harriet, Adventures In Paradise, Casey Jones , Andy's Gang , Sheena , Gray Ghost , Beverly Hillbillies , World Of Giants , Waterfront, American Bandstand , Shindig , Trouble With Father , Oh Susanna , The Americans (1961),  Burns And Allen, Father Of The Bride, It's About Time, Run For Your Life,  among  others. But realistically  I don't expect to see any of them released.

Wow! You've listed quite a few of my most wanted series in that long list. But could we also have Hennessey if we aren't going to get The People's Choice? I love both of those series.

#1489 of 2551 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 596 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted April 25 2013 - 06:33 PM

Yes, Hennesey too - i just forgot about that one!

#1490 of 2551 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,029 posts

Posted April 25 2013 - 07:27 PM

I don't want to rain on the parade of people here looking forward to "Dobie Gillis," but I've seen some Season 4 shows on Me-TV lately.  They're so far-out, bizarre, weird and just plain stupid that they make Fairchild the Bear look intelligent in comparison.

Unless you think Maynard eating dimes, nickels and quarters like candy is hilarious.

#1491 of 2551 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,479 posts

Posted April 26 2013 - 05:48 AM

I'd be in for all 9 seasons of Beverly Hillbillies as well. Its one of my most wanted shows. I agree that like most long running comedies the latter season were weaker, but in the case of the Beverly Hillbillies the whole point of the comedy was to be on the stupid side so I think all 9 seasons have stupid comedy but thats part of the charm

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#1492 of 2551 OFFLINE   Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted April 26 2013 - 06:04 AM

I don't want to rain on the parade of people here looking forward to "Dobie Gillis," but I've seen some Season 4 shows on Me-TV lately.  They're so far-out, bizarre, weird and just plain stupid that they make Fairchild the Bear look intelligent in comparison.

Unless you think Maynard eating dimes, nickels and quarters like candy is hilarious.

Which makes me wonder why people here think that this was a great show to begin with in the first place (especially for younger kids; they might as well watch any of the kid sitcoms on the Disney Channel as they do now.)

#1493 of 2551 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,201 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted April 26 2013 - 07:14 AM

POPULAR

Which makes me wonder why people here think that this was a great show to begin with in the first place (especially for younger kids; they might as well watch any of the kid sitcoms on the Disney Channel as they do now.)

Sometimes I begin to think you're here to just bash. I well remember how you went off in the thread regarding Amos and Andy.

I don't want to turn this political or religious. You are in the minority and I don't mean your skin color. As the conservative Christian you so easily dismiss as being out of lockstep with society, I have every right to disagree with the direction TV is going. There is a thing called free speech although I'm wondering how long that will be the case. I have every right to contact networks who push an agenda I disagree with. I have every right to boycott networks who cater to the whims of a minority (and again, I don't mean skin color) that happen to be loud and boisterous. I have every right to vote with my pocketbook and support classic programming over trash.

• Gary OS, Jeff Willis, Jack P and 1 other like this

Find me on Facebook

My blog

#1494 of 2551 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted April 26 2013 - 08:36 AM

I'd be in for all 9 seasons of Beverly Hillbillies as well. Its one of my most wanted shows. I agree that like most long running comedies the latter season were weaker, but in the case of the Beverly Hillbillies the whole point of the comedy was to be on the stupid side so I think all 9 seasons have stupid comedy but thats part of the charm

Personally, I think the show went off the rails in the final two seasons, but I would buy them anyway, as it is my favorite show.

#1495 of 2551 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,096 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 26 2013 - 09:21 AM

POPULAR

Members,

Let's be careful with our commentary on issues that shouldn't be debated on the HTF according to our posting guidelines.  Thank you.

• Jeff Willis, Regulus and LouA like this

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#1496 of 2551 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,585 posts

Posted April 26 2013 - 11:22 AM

POPULAR

I have every right to vote with my pocketbook and support classic programming over trash.

You're singing my song, Ron.  :D

Gary "keep the b/w classics coming" O.

• Jeff Willis, Regulus, LouA and 1 other like this

#1497 of 2551 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted April 26 2013 - 03:48 PM

Personally, I think the show went off the rails in the final two seasons, but I would buy them anyway, as it is my favorite show.

Just about every TV Series that lasts a long time has that inevitable moment where it "Jumps the Shark".

• Ron1973 likes this

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 38,106 :biggrin: ( 817 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,426  :biggrin: Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#1498 of 2551 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,201 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted April 26 2013 - 05:13 PM

It really did. The infusion of new characters that were supposed life long friends that no one heard of before. Story lines that didn't square up with previous years. On a season nine episode where Lou Ellen Aden came to Hollywood to get into pictures (another "back home" friend) and Jed and Granny trying to figure out what movie studio she should star for. Hello? Jed owned Mammoth Studios!!!

Find me on Facebook

My blog

#1499 of 2551 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,394 posts

Posted April 26 2013 - 07:32 PM

I would say it probably jumped the shark when the crossovers with Petticoat Junction happened, or round about that time. There was always an element of silliness to the show but in the 7th season, Fairchild, Ellie's bear, was given almost human qualities other than being able to talk. The bear drove Mr. Drysdale to Hooterville in the old truck for instance. It just became rather outlandish.

I remember that; I thought it was dumb back in the day, and I was only three.

#1500 of 2551 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,577 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 27 2013 - 11:08 AM

Count me in as another one who would dive into all the seasons of BEVERLY HILLBILLIES. The whole point of the series was to be a fish out of water SATIRE, not a typical "sitcom," and wryly observe and comment upon all the things we, as allegedly more savvy urban dwellers, take for granted. Seen that way it never lost its edge or humor. Even given the fact that the Clampetts became more naturally acclimated to their surroundings, the advent of the ever changing 60's zeitgeist gave them fresh material to confront and try to understand, as did many of us during that turbulent time.

I agree that the PETTICOAT JUNCTION crossovers were ill advised, since HILLBILLIES and GREEN ACRES were satires while PETTICOAT was more of a conventional family sitcom. But when HILLBILLIES  confronted the times with such contemporary issues as women's lib and black power, among others, it could be hilarious. I still remember Mr. Drysdale throwing a "harem party" and hiring one of his black secretaries to be a slave girl, only to have to then explain it to her linebacker brothers. As edgy and funny as it had always been.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users