-

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2479 replies to this topic

#1461 of 2480 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,454 posts

Posted April 17 2013 - 11:43 PM

I watched Amos & Andy as a kid and loved them.  When I was finally able to watch them again as a adult I *still* loved them!  To this day I don't understand what was/is so offensive as you could put in an all white cast and not have to change a thing.  That's another series I'd purchase on release date should someone be brave enough to do a release.

The black actors were filling in for the white radio actors and had to deliberately imitate the voices from the show, and Tim Moore as the Kingfish, although a great comic actor, might've been overdoing it a tad.  (When you hear a parody of offensive black stereotypes going "Ohh, holy mac-kerel, dere", that's Moore's signature delivery.)  By the 60's, everyone had forgotten about the radio show, and was getting on their high horses about the roles blacks were "forced" to play on TV, and the reruns had been on so annoyingly long, it made too easy a scapegoat.

But apart from whatever it brought from 40's radio, there's almost nothing offensive in it--We even see other mainstream professional black policemen, judges, secretaries, etc. in the stories; like Ralph & Ed, it's only our heroes that aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

Edited by Ejanss, April 17 2013 - 11:44 PM.

#1462 of 2480 OFFLINE   DaveHof2

DaveHof2

Stunt Coordinator

• 139 posts

Posted April 18 2013 - 06:06 PM

(When you hear a parody of offensive black stereotypes going "Ohh, holy mac-kerel, dere", that's Moore's signature delivery.) 

You'll actually hear Ricky Nelson deliver this line in the Ozzie & Harriet episode "The Girl in the Emporium" - and it's hilarious.

#1463 of 2480 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,961 posts

Posted April 19 2013 - 01:55 PM

The black actors were filling in for the white radio actors and had to deliberately imitate the voices from the show, and Tim Moore as the Kingfish, although a great comic actor, might've been overdoing it a tad.  (When you hear a parody of offensive black stereotypes going "Ohh, holy mac-kerel, dere", that's Moore's signature delivery.)  By the 60's, everyone had forgotten about the radio show, and was getting on their high horses about the roles blacks were "forced" to play on TV, and the reruns had been on so annoyingly long, it made too easy a scapegoat.

But apart from whatever it brought from 40's radio, there's almost nothing offensive in it--We even see other mainstream professional black policemen, judges, secretaries, etc. in the stories; like Ralph & Ed, it's only our heroes that aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

I don't know much about this show.  I do have an OTR compilation that includes a A&A radio show from the 1950s with Tim Moore as Kingfish (along with the regular white actors playing Amos and Andy).  From the little bit I heard, it was obvious that Tim Moore was dripping with talent.  According to Wikipedia, he had been on the black vaudeville circuit for decades, and had also appeared on Broadway several times (http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Moore,_tim).  Although he may have conformed somewhat to the pre-existing script style of the show, my guess is that he made a new creation of the character, which was why he was put on the radio show too.  Personally, his characterization seemed less racial and more personal, in the way Buddy Ebson's Jed Clampett was ("Weeelll Doggies"), or Jackie Gleeson's Ralph Cramdon.

#1464 of 2480 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,614 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted April 19 2013 - 05:33 PM

I know the origins of the program and its history.  I grew up in a small town in the south and heard language and speach inflections just like that used on A&A (even the radio program) on a regular basis from both white and black folk.  That's why I've never understood the uproar over "stereotypes".  Based on the people I knew growing up there were no "stereotypes" on that show other than the typical non-racial comedy stereotypes which were being used on many shows of that era.  IMHO A&A is the most unoffensive "offensive" show that's ever aired on American TV.  It *needs* a quality DVD release.

• Suzanne.S likes this

#1465 of 2480 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,566 posts

Posted April 20 2013 - 09:14 AM

Well, I'm happy to report that my Dr Kildare set came yesterday and I promptly plugged in the disc containing one of the greatest Christmas episodes of all time, "Season to be Jolly", and it looked fabulous!!!  All the music was preserved and it certainly appeared uncut to me.  What a great day!  Now I can chunk my old Turner South alt print of this episode.  Oh, and the discs were indeed pressed.

Gary "I'm looking forward to watching this entire first season" O.

• Steve...O and Jeff Willis like this
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#1466 of 2480 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted April 20 2013 - 12:56 PM

Well, I'm happy to report that my Dr Kildare set came yesterday and I promptly plugged in the disc containing one of the greatest Christmas episodes of all time, "Season to be Jolly", and it looked fabulous!!!  All the music was preserved and it certainly appeared uncut to me.  What a great day!  Now I can chunk my old Turner South alt print of this episode.  Oh, and the discs were indeed pressed.

Gary "I'm looking forward to watching this entire first season" O.

2elv0vc.jpg

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#1467 of 2480 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Second Unit

• 495 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted April 20 2013 - 05:39 PM

Anyone here familiar with a black and white 1961 Sitcom called "Angel" (starring Annie Farge , Marshall Thompson, Doris Singleton)?  I recently bought 3 DVDs from Shokus Video, and was very pleased with  this Desilu show. It's a Robert Openheimer (I love Lucy) production, and very amusing . Music seems to be played by Desi Arnaz's orchestra.  The feel of the show reminds me alot of December Bride.This was a "blind buy" for me. So far Shokus has released 12 out of 26 episodes.

#1468 of 2480 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,544 posts

Posted April 21 2013 - 07:39 AM

Anyone here familiar with a black and white 1961 Sitcom called "Angel" (starring Annie Farge , Marshall Thompson, Doris Singleton)?  I recently bought 3 DVDs from Shokus Video, and was very pleased with  this Desilu show. It's a Robert Openheimer (I love Lucy) production, and very amusing . Music seems to be played by Desi Arnaz's orchestra.  The feel of the show reminds me alot of December Bride.This was a "blind buy" for me. So far Shokus has released 12 out of 26 episodes.

I have seen a few episodes of Angel, and would agree with your assessment.

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#1469 of 2480 OFFLINE   MartinP.

MartinP.

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted April 21 2013 - 11:38 AM

IMHO A&A is the most unoffensive "offensive" show that's ever aired on American TV.  It *needs* a quality DVD release.

Totally agree. I've seen nearly all the episodes, including BLATT's Beer commercials, and it's a real shame

the series has fallen under a cloud it does not deserve.

#1470 of 2480 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,080 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted April 21 2013 - 12:06 PM

Love Burke's Law - it's really the precurser to all of those all-star cast shows such as Murder She Wrote. It's so smart and witty. The writing is just stellar. But if they do release another season, I hope they match it to the case of the last volume. I hate when they switch packaging mid-stream.

I just got Maverick S2 for review. That's another show that was too smart for its own good. And I hear Robert Conrad's in this season. A bonus!

Welcome to HTF! We have a review of Maverick S2 up:

Maverick: The Complete Second Season DVD Review

I remembered to mention Robert Conrad!

Rich Gallagher

#1471 of 2480 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,454 posts

Posted April 21 2013 - 07:19 PM

Totally agree. I've seen nearly all the episodes, including BLATT's Beer commercials, and it's a real shame

the series has fallen under a cloud it does not deserve.

Black comedian George Kirby hosted the documentary "Amos & Andy: Anatomy of a Controversy", which does a good job of rushing to the series's defense, and even featured a clip from "Kingfish Sells a Lot", which may be one of the funniest moments I've seen in a classic 50's sitcom episode.   :lol:

http:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLcyymCmXRg

Edited by Ejanss, April 21 2013 - 07:22 PM.

#1472 of 2480 OFFLINE   Silverking

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator

• 83 posts

Posted April 25 2013 - 02:29 AM

Going back to the original title of this topic I would suggest that the black & white era of releases has probably peaked with this year's releases. The most successful shows of the ZIV catalogue, Warners unlocking of their vaults (albeit slowly)& a few others have all been welcome.

Are there really any major series from the 50's to say 1965 still lacking a significant DVD release. Maybe the aforementioned 'Amos & Andy'& 'Dragnet'.

I know there are a lot of one season shows but I'm hard put to come up with any that really made a mark.
  • Gary OS likes this

#1473 of 2480 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,544 posts

Posted April 25 2013 - 03:58 AM

Going back to the original title of this topic I would suggest that the black & white era of releases has probably peaked with this year's releases. The most successful shows of the ZIV catalogue, Warners unlocking of their vaults (albeit slowly)& a few others have all been welcome.

Are there really any major series from the 50's to say 1965 still lacking a significant DVD release. Maybe the aforementioned 'Amos & Andy'& 'Dragnet'.

I know there are a lot of one season shows but I'm hard put to come up with any that really made a mark.

The Lineup, a.k.a. San Francisco Beat ran for about 8-9 yrs and about 200 episodes, and not one DVD release.

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#1474 of 2480 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,566 posts

Posted April 25 2013 - 06:43 AM

I think you're right about the b/w era on dvd peaking.  Heck, I felt like it peaked back in 2008 (which, by sheer volume, it did) and would be all but dead by now but I was wrong (happily so, I might add).  At this point though it is hard to imagine we'll see the same volume next year that we've seen last year and thus far in 2013.  I just can't imagine it.

I do think there are quite a few gems that have yet to see releases, mainly in the 50's sitcom era and certainly in the 50's anthology era.  But I'm not holding my breath for many of them to see the light of day on dvd any time soon.  But just for fun how about these:

Bachelor Father

Our Miss Brooks

Make Room for Daddy/The Danny Thomas Show (only a couple of releases for a very long running series)

My Three Sons (only 2 seasons released)

Ben Casey

The Millionaire

Lassie (has yet to have any season set releases)

Death Valley Days (probably the longest running series with no release yet)

Any one of many Anthology series back in the day. 

I don't know if any of those classify as major series or not, but I think most fans here would recognize the names.  But regardless, I think we really have hit the peak and are on the downswing going forward.  If, by some minor miracle, Ozzie & Harriet make it out, I'll be quite content with my collection.  Fortunately I have alt sets of some of the series I mentioned above, so I can't complain when I look over my entire collection.  The really important series, for me, have by and large been released.

Gary "still hoping for more goodies from Timeless" O.

Edited by Gary OS, April 25 2013 - 06:44 AM.

• Jeff Willis likes this
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#1475 of 2480 OFFLINE   Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard

Second Unit

• 316 posts

Posted April 25 2013 - 07:07 AM

The Defenders!  4 seasons, from 1961-1965.  If Warner owned this, I would feel hopeful about an Archive release, but I don't see CBS/Paramount doing it.

#1476 of 2480 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,461 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted April 25 2013 - 07:09 AM

I think you're right about the b/w era on dvd peaking.  Heck, I felt like it peaked back in 2008 (which, by sheer volume, it did) and would be all but dead by now but I was wrong (happily so, I might add).  At this point though it is hard to imagine we'll see the same volume next year that we've seen last year and thus far in 2013.  I just can't imagine it.

I do think there are quite a few gems that have yet to see releases, mainly in the 50's sitcom era and certainly in the 50's anthology era.  But I'm not holding my breath for many of them to see the light of day on dvd any time soon.  But just for fun how about these:

Bachelor Father

Our Miss Brooks

Make Room for Daddy/The Danny Thomas Show (only a couple of releases for a very long running series)

Ben Casey

The Millionaire

I don't know if any of those classify as major series or not, but I think most fans here would recognize the names.  But regardless, I think we really have hit the peak and are on the downswing going forward.  If, by some minor miracle, Ozzie & Harriet make it out, I'll be quite content with my collection.  Fortunately I have alt sets of some of the series I mentioned above, so I can't complain when I look over my entire collection.  The really important series, for me, have by and large been released.

I would say that *any* series that makes it past five seasons would automatically classify it as a major series.   What percentage of TV series makes it past that point?

Certainly, My Three Sons, Lassie, Danny Thomas and Death Valley Days qualify.  Lassie owned its Sunday night time slot for decades and, as I recall, had no network competition when it aired on Sundays at 7pm/Eastern 6pm/Central.  The Danny Thomas Show was the home base of operations for Sheldon Leonard's empire that gave us Andy Griffith and Dick Van Dyke.  Likewise, My Three Sons was Don Fedderson's iconic show and it success enabled such other hits as "Family Affair."

Today, the most overlooked comedy series might be "The Beverly HIllbillies."  I wonder how many folks under 40 realize what a phenomenally popular show that was?  I agree that its humor wasn't of the Noel Coward level of sophistication and it probably jumped the shark several years before the end of its run, but it deserves far better treatment than it's received on DVD.  Paul Henning's empire at Filmways was the sixties equivalent of what Norman Lear and MTM achieved in the seventies.  (But, now that I think about it, look how difficult it was to get complete runs of "All in the Family" and "Mary Tyler Moore."  And we're still waiting for the completion of Bob Newhart!)

#1477 of 2480 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted April 25 2013 - 07:10 AM

Bachelor Father

Our Miss Brooks

Ben Casey

The Millionaire

Same for me,  The more B/W releases, the better but I'm not waiting for much now.  I'd like to see that "Rifleman" site store post some updated news about a possible series release but nothing so far there.

• Gary OS likes this

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#1478 of 2480 OFFLINE   maskedmala

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator

• 153 posts

Posted April 25 2013 - 08:44 AM

Gary OS, on your list you forgot one of the funniest, most popular sitcom of the 50's, Sgt Bilko (aka The Phil Silvers Show). A real shame that CBS HE released only the first of 4 seasons. Why not licensing it.

#1479 of 2480 OFFLINE   Lee Smith

Lee Smith

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts
  • LocationBuckfield, Maine

Posted April 25 2013 - 09:40 AM

I have one western anthology that I would like to see completed and that is Zane Grey Theater.  This is the only western that I am missing now that we are starting to get the Maverick seasons.

I really do not care about the other Warner Bros. westerns.  When I was watching them back in the 50s, they all seemed to be the same except for Maverick.

Sgt. Bilko and Make Room for Daddy are the only B&W comedy series that I need now that I'll be able to get Dobie Gillis. I would buy My Little Margie, I Married Joan & The Life of Riley.  But they are not esssential. 

Not interested in Ozzie & Harriet.. 

My number one missing show is Dragnet.  The 60s version is OK but I need season releases of the original.

#1480 of 2480 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,134 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted April 25 2013 - 09:40 AM

I would say that *any* series that makes it past five seasons would automatically classify it as a major series.   What percentage of TV series makes it past that point?

Certainly, My Three Sons, Lassie, Danny Thomas and Death Valley Days qualify.  Lassie owned its Sunday night time slot for decades and, as I recall, had no network competition when it aired on Sundays at 7pm/Eastern 6pm/Central.  The Danny Thomas Show was the home base of operations for Sheldon Leonard's empire that gave us Andy Griffith and Dick Van Dyke.  Likewise, My Three Sons was Don Fedderson's iconic show and it success enabled such other hits as "Family Affair."

Today, the most overlooked comedy series might be "The Beverly HIllbillies."  I wonder how many folks under 40 realize what a phenomenally popular show that was?  I agree that its humor wasn't of the Noel Coward level of sophistication and it probably jumped the shark several years before the end of its run, but it deserves far better treatment than it's received on DVD.  Paul Henning's empire at Filmways was the sixties equivalent of what Norman Lear and MTM achieved in the seventies.  (But, now that I think about it, look how difficult it was to get complete runs of "All in the Family" and "Mary Tyler Moore."  And we're still waiting for the completion of Bob Newhart!)

I would say it probably jumped the shark when the crossovers with Petticoat Junction happened, or round about that time. There was always an element of silliness to the show but in the 7th season, Fairchild, Ellie's bear, was given almost human qualities other than being able to talk. The bear drove Mr. Drysdale to Hooterville in the old truck for instance. It just became rather outlandish.

The 8th and 9th seasons really took a weird turn. In the 8th season, the Clampetts went to visit "home" in Silver Dollar City and several new characters appeared that had been (supposedly) life long friends of the Clampetts but had never been mentioned prior with the exception of Elverna Bradshaw, who was played by Elvia Allman and had previously appeared in the 1st season. Elverna and Shorty Kellums wound up living in Beverly Hills at the mansion for a short time along with Shad Heller, another "back home" friend.

The 9th season got totally weird with the introduction of topics like Women's Lib and the appearance of Japanese characters who moved in with Jed and Jethro. At that point, both Max Baer, Jr and Donna Douglas were showing signs of getting older, so I'm sure if CBS hadn't have axed it during their "rural purge," it wouldn't have been too long before it happened.

CBS still seems ashamed of their rural heritage other than Andy and Gomer. Maybe Shout will pick up where they've left off.

Edited by Ron1973, April 25 2013 - 09:44 AM.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users