-

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

• Please log in to reply
2479 replies to this topic

#1441 of 2480 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,612 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted April 05 2013 - 07:01 PM

I just placed an order for The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis Complete Series at Amazon!  It's going to be tough waiting until July to get this!  At least there's Maverick S2 later this month to help with the waiting...

With the Lone Ranger full series set coming that leaves but one Holy Grail series left for me in the B/W era, The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriett.  Of course, that doesn't mean I'm *through* purchasing B/W series just that the ones I will 100% pre-order (if the price is "reasonable") are almost done.  Every time I think I've purchased all the B/W series I'll want one of you guys mentions another interesting program I've forgotten or never heard of and the list will grow again! :D

Edited by BobO'Link, April 05 2013 - 07:02 PM.

#1442 of 2480 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,565 posts

Posted April 05 2013 - 07:07 PM

I just placed an order for The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis Complete Series at Amazon!  It's going to be tough waiting until July to get this!  At least there's Maverick S2 later this month to help with the waiting...

With the Lone Ranger full series set coming that leaves but one Holy Grail series left for me in the B/W era, The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriett.  Of course, that doesn't mean I'm *through* purchasing B/W series just that the ones I will 100% pre-order (if the price is "reasonable") are almost done.  Every time I think I've purchased all the B/W series I'll want one of you guys mentions another interesting program I've forgotten or never heard of and the list will grow again! :D

We think alike, Howie (you should be very scared after reading that).  :P

Gary "in all seriousness I do see it the same way and, like you, I'm waiting on Ozzie & Harriet as my last 'holy grail' series that needs releasing" O.

Edited by Gary OS, April 05 2013 - 07:07 PM.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#1443 of 2480 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,028 posts

Posted April 06 2013 - 06:57 AM

The Jack Benny announcement will be my first new B/W release for tihs year.      Burns And Allen is now the last B/W sitcom for me to not have true official DVD representation.

#1444 of 2480 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,565 posts

Posted April 06 2013 - 08:35 AM

2013 has been pretty good to me thus far.  I've added quite a few b/w sets to my collection since the beginning of the year, and plan on adding many more before it's all said and done.  Not sure if Jack Benny will be one or not though.  It's very low on my priority list, especially with knowing the 3rd and 4th quarter will offer quite a few more goodies.

Gary "appropriate that this is my 4,000th post here at HTF - in the b/w thread" O.

#1445 of 2480 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,028 posts

Posted April 06 2013 - 02:24 PM

For ongoing titles I'll be getting "Maverick" S2 and HGWT S6.    At some point I need to finish "Untouchables" but I'm in no rush (probably after HGWT is finished).     Still haven't gotten Gunsmoke S7 because I'm reluctant to plunge into the hour long shows at this point.

The report that we'll likely see season sets and the whole run of "Naked City" eventually is so far the biggest news of the year for me B/W wise next to the Benny Show.     But if another year goes by without S2 of "Burke's Law" the year will still be unfufilling alas.  

#1446 of 2480 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,565 posts

Posted April 09 2013 - 04:46 PM

I've already got the Gunsmoke b/w hour long eps from Encore, but I hear these new releases look absolutely fantastic so way down the road I'd consider picking them up (if the price drops enough).  I'm a long ways off from Jack's demeanor about the remainder of the year though.  I'm keen on the following things that have either been explicitly stated as coming or at least hinted at:

Restless Gun

Have Gun, Will Travel S6

Tombstone Territory

Rawhide S6, S7

Gene Autry Show S5

Stoney Burke

Dobie Gillis

Lone Ranger

Dr. Kildare

Perry Mason

Ozzie & Harriet (not holding my breath for a 2013 release, but I'm still listing it because it has been mentioned)

Rifleman (same as above)

Naked City season sets

Other Assorted Timeless Goodies

Gary "2013 has been a solid year thus far for me" O.

• Steve...O likes this

#1447 of 2480 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,028 posts

Posted April 09 2013 - 05:22 PM

Obviously, Kildare will be a must-buy for me too.     No more blind buy westerns for me though.     If Warner Archive releases "Cains Hundred" (which they said last fall is on their radio along with the 1966 color show "Jericho") I'll get that since I have the soundtrack release from Film Score Monthly.

Hearing that the VCI releases of "Burke's Law" S1 are now out of print is also disheartening news, because that clearly means they wouldn't even try to push Fox again for S2.    Just a real pity.

#1448 of 2480 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,951 posts

Posted April 10 2013 - 06:42 AM

delete

Edited by JoeDoakes, April 10 2013 - 07:00 AM.

#1449 of 2480 OFFLINE   Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard

Second Unit

• 316 posts

Posted April 15 2013 - 09:44 AM

Looks like Stoney Burke is now shipping from Amazon!  I'm hoping this will look as good as other recent MGM-branded releases like Bat Masterson and Sea Hunt...

#1450 of 2480 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,528 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 15 2013 - 11:02 AM

I've already got the Gunsmoke b/w hour long eps from Encore, but I hear these new releases look absolutely fantastic so way down the road I'd consider picking them up (if the price drops enough).

Gary "2013 has been a solid year thus far for me" O.

Gary, keep me in mind if you do wind up upgrading on GUNSMOKE and need to find a good home for your Encore copies. Ever the cheap opportunist, I'll always and gladly take your discards for my meager collection. ;) :P :D

#1451 of 2480 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,565 posts

Posted April 15 2013 - 04:18 PM

Gary, keep me in mind if you do wind up upgrading on GUNSMOKE and need to find a good home for your Encore copies. Ever the cheap opportunist, I'll always and gladly take your discards for my meager collection. ;) :P :D

No problem.  I'll keep that in mind, buddy.

Gary "I don't think I'd call your collection 'meager' though" O.  :lol:

#1452 of 2480 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,565 posts

Posted April 16 2013 - 02:31 PM

With Dr Kildare S1 being announced today, I'm down to only one b/w TV show that's on my "holy grail" list - The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet.  Don't get me wrong, there are still many shows from the b/w era I'd like to see get a release, but the Nelson family series is the only one left that I'd put in the "must have" category.  Everything else would be gravy.

Gary "can't wait for my Kildare set to arrive" O.

#1453 of 2480 OFFLINE   Cynthia Boris

Cynthia Boris

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted April 16 2013 - 02:43 PM

But if another year goes by without S2 of "Burke's Law" the year will still be unfufilling alas.  

Love Burke's Law - it's really the precurser to all of those all-star cast shows such as Murder She Wrote. It's so smart and witty. The writing is just stellar. But if they do release another season, I hope they match it to the case of the last volume. I hate when they switch packaging mid-stream.

I just got Maverick S2 for review. That's another show that was too smart for its own good. And I hear Robert Conrad's in this season. A bonus!

#1454 of 2480 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,028 posts

Posted April 16 2013 - 03:18 PM

Kildare is ordered!     It'll be nice to match at last some episodes to the music scores released by FSM.

With "Burke's Law" I won't care so much about the packaging so long as I can see some great episodes of S2 improved from my boot at long last.     But alas if S1 is OOP now that means VCI obviously has given up.       Fox is just the worst of all studios when it comes to their catalogs (their subpar releases of movies in movie on demand programs also doesn't speak  well of them).

As for B/W Grail titles with no releases on DVD officially, the only ones left are Burns And Allen and Sheena (now that Jack Benny is coming).   

Edited by Jack P, April 16 2013 - 03:20 PM.

#1455 of 2480 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted April 17 2013 - 05:21 AM

Love Burke's Law - it's really the precurser to all of those all-star cast shows such as Murder She Wrote. It's so smart and witty. The writing is just stellar. But if they do release another season, I hope they match it to the case of the last volume. I hate when they switch packaging mid-stream.

I just got Maverick S2 for review. That's another show that was too smart for its own good. And I hear Robert Conrad's in this season. A bonus!

o085u.jpg to the forum.  I'm also a Robert Conrad fan.  WWW (Wild Wild West) is a big favorite of mine.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#1456 of 2480 ONLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,422 posts

Posted April 17 2013 - 10:59 AM

Maverick S1 hadn't really found James Garner's niche yet, and kept trying to play Maverick as a straight Western hero (probably by borrowing storylines from other series).  The show didn't start finding its groove till S2.  (And if Starz had kept their western shows on Instant Netflix, I'd have been able to watch more of them, darnit.)

As for B/W Grail titles with no releases on DVD officially, the only ones left are Burns And Allen and Sheena (now that Jack Benny is coming).   

Not too many B/W Grail titles left:

Our Miss Brooks, with Eve Arden, only exists as a scattered handful of third and fourth-generation public-domain sightings, as are the limited PD-orphan collection of TV Amos & Andy episodes (yes, they're hysterical, like lost Honeymooners episodes, and surprisingly smart for their unfairly besmirched reputations   :D  ).

I'd gotten hooked on R2's limited "Ultimate Vol. 1" best-of sampler of This Is Your Life (taken from the best-of syndication of the 50's-60's episodes during the 80's), and this show is pure addiction--If you've think you've seen it parodied a hundred times, you've never seen the classiness of the real thing. 

Never did get that Vol. 2, though, and Vol. 1 was just piecemealed into two-episode single disks.

Edited by Ejanss, April 17 2013 - 11:01 AM.

#1457 of 2480 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,528 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 17 2013 - 11:14 AM

Gary "can't wait for my Kildare set to arrive" O.

So here's the plan: As soon as you receive the KILDARE set,, immediately send it to me and I will take my time enjoying it at my leisure and then send it back to you when I get a chance. I promise you I will send it back within a year or so. How does that sound? :D

Congratulations on this release, Gary! I know you've been waiting for it for a long time and I'm happy you will finally get your beloved Christmas episode in a good copy. Make sure you come back and report here on the rest of the season and if you like it just as much as that one episode, which I hope you do.

#1458 of 2480 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,617 posts

Posted April 17 2013 - 01:19 PM

My remaining B&W Grails are:

DRAGNET

THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR

SUSPICION

WAY OUT

AMOS & ANDY

BUS STOP

PANIC!

WICHITA TOWN

THE WESTERNER

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#1459 of 2480 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,565 posts

Posted April 17 2013 - 05:52 PM

So here's the plan: As soon as you receive the KILDARE set,, immediately send it to me and I will take my time enjoying it at my leisure and then send it back to you when I get a chance. I promise you I will send it back within a year or so. How does that sound? :D

Congratulations on this release, Gary! I know you've been waiting for it for a long time and I'm happy you will finally get your beloved Christmas episode in a good copy. Make sure you come back and report here on the rest of the season and if you like it just as much as that one episode, which I hope you do.

LOL, Glen.  I like to think of myself as a nice guy, but I'm not sure I could do that.  :lol:

Gary "thanks for the congrats, buddy - this is a huge release for me" O.

#1460 of 2480 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,612 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted April 17 2013 - 05:58 PM

...Not too many B/W Grail titles left:

Our Miss Brooks, with Eve Arden, only exists as a scattered handful of third and fourth-generation public-domain sightings, as are the limited PD-orphan collection of TV Amos & Andy episodes (yes, they're hysterical, like lost Honeymooners episodes, and surprisingly smart for their unfairly besmirched reputations   :D  )...

I watched Amos & Andy as a kid and loved them.  When I was finally able to watch them again as a adult I *still* loved them!  To this day I don't understand what was/is so offensive as you could put in an all white cast and not have to change a thing.  That's another series I'd purchase on release date should someone be brave enough to do a release.

• Ejanss likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users