Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * - - 6 votes

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2741 replies to this topic

#1421 of 2742 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,698 posts

Posted March 27 2013 - 12:24 PM

Thanks for the review Richard. I was hoping the quality was at least as good as season 1 and didn't expect better but thats great. I will be getting my copy as soon as I finsh the last disc of season 1. I too hope they release the whole series.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

#1422 of 2742 OFFLINE   shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted March 28 2013 - 09:29 PM

Has anyone bought Stanley? Normally, I'd jump at this as the price is good and the description is intriguing (despite not being a big Buddy fan).... However blind buys are less and less an option these days. Is it any good? Was it any good?

#1423 of 2742 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,625 posts

Posted March 29 2013 - 05:42 AM

Has anyone bought Stanley? Normally, I'd jump at this as the price is good and the description is intriguing (despite not being a big Buddy fan).... However blind buys are less and less an option these days. Is it any good? Was it any good?

I've got it coming in the mail, even though it's a blind buy for me too.  I did it primarily because it does have a Christmas episode and everyone knows how crazy I am about that, so I went ahead and placed an order.  I'll throw in my two cents of a review when it arrives.

On another note, I highly recommend Lawbreaker.  It's actually in color and the prints are decent.  They look like solid 16 mm to my eyes.  What I love about it is that they go on location to the cities where various crimes have been committed and interview the actual police officers and people involved.  It's a fascinating little series that's very Americana.  Neat, neat stuff for sure.

Gary "continued high marks for Timeless" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#1424 of 2742 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,651 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted March 29 2013 - 09:04 AM

I've got it coming in the mail, even though it's a blind buy for me too.  I did it primarily because it does have a Christmas episode and everyone knows how crazy I am about that, so I went ahead and placed an order.  I'll throw in my two cents of a review when it arrives.

I bought it as a blind buy because of the incredible cast.  It's due to arrive by April 8.  I can comment after that point.

#1425 of 2742 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,673 posts

Posted March 29 2013 - 10:06 AM

On another note, I highly recommend Lawbreaker.  It's actually in color and the prints are decent.  They look like solid 16 mm to my eyes.  What I love about it is that they go on location to the cities where various crimes have been committed and interview the actual police officers and people involved.  It's a fascinating little series that's very Americana.  Neat, neat stuff for sure.

Thanks, Gary. After reading your post, I took the opportunity to check to see if there was anything on the series on YouTube, and found a promo video for the DVD set that Timeless recently uploaded... it does look quite good.

LEE MARVIN PRESENTS LAWBREAKER: DVD Trailer

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Check out my Film & TV Blog (established 5/5/15): Smoking Holes That Were Once My Eyes...

#1426 of 2742 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted March 29 2013 - 10:34 AM

A second thumbs up for Lawbreaker. The quality of the prints that were used looked quite good and it is absolutely fascinating to see the cities of America during that period.

Edited by Mike*HTF, March 29 2013 - 10:35 AM.

#1427 of 2742 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 696 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted March 30 2013 - 05:12 PM

I bought "Buddy Hackett as Stanley" and it arrived yesterday. It consists of 3 real factory pressed DVD's with nice packaging . They are kinescopes but very good  quality - some restoration may have been done .  Episodes appear  to be complete, some have original commercials . I only watched a couple of episodes so far  but I enjoyed it. I watched this show each week as a child because as a 7 yer old I thought Buddy hacket was hysterical. . But if you don't like Hackett I'm not sure if you'll like it - he is after all the main character.

#1428 of 2742 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted March 30 2013 - 08:27 PM

I read in another review here at HTF there were watermarks on the image.

How intrusive are they?

#1429 of 2742 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 696 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted March 31 2013 - 03:51 PM

How intrusive are they?

Yes, there are watermarks of a Hirschfeld Buddy Hackett caricature on the lower left hand side of the screen . For me, they weren't too bad - I forgot about it pretty quickly as I got involved with the episodes. But they are large enough that they may bother some. For me , just being able to see this show again is a miracle , so I try not to let things like the watermarks bother me .

#1430 of 2742 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,625 posts

Posted March 31 2013 - 05:59 PM

How intrusive are they?

I can echo what Lou said.  I just received my set yesterday and watched an episode.  The watermark/logo is pretty ridiculous, but not big enough to overly distract me from enjoying the episode.

Gary "I think I'll enjoy this series" O.

#1431 of 2742 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,754 posts

Posted April 01 2013 - 06:37 AM

I bought "Buddy Hackett as Stanley" and it arrived yesterday. It consists of 3 real factory pressed DVD's with nice packaging . They are kinescopes but very good  quality - some restoration may have been done .  Episodes appear  to be complete, some have original commercials . I only watched a couple of episodes so far  but I enjoyed it. I watched this show each week as a child because as a 7 yer old I thought Buddy hacket was hysterical. . But if you don't like Hackett I'm not sure if you'll like it - he is after all the main character.

Where can I order this from?  Couldn't find it on Amazon.

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#1432 of 2742 OFFLINE   Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Second Unit

• 289 posts

Posted April 01 2013 - 09:16 AM

'West Poin't & 'The Lawbreakers' - I'm considering ordering these two items as a 'blind buy', never having seen (or actually heard) of either of them. Anyone remember them or know if they are worthwhile ? I checked IMDB but info there is very sketchy. I did hear that 'Lawbreakers' recreated true crime events & uses the actual victims or cops rather than established performers.. Consequently it comes across as very amateurish with inept & clumsy acting & unintentionally funny. Any opinions anyone ? Chris

Much like Rescue 911! 

#1433 of 2742 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 696 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted April 01 2013 - 04:44 PM

buddyhackett.tv/buddy-hackett-as-stanley-dvd/

#1434 of 2742 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,812 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted April 01 2013 - 05:08 PM

Here's the Amazon link but be aware that it's only available from a MP vendor that doesn't appear to be the official site/vendor.  As it's only a couple of $$ less expensive it's a deal breaker for me.

My cost from the official site is $31.75 compared to $29.97 from the MP vendor (YMMV depending on state and sales tax).  I'm always a bit torn with stuff like this.  I *really* prefer to order from the "official" site but if a MP vendor is only a couple of $$ more (before shipping) you tend to think they're getting a better price or they're losing money on every sale.  I don't begrudge anyone making a profit but it seems that almost every "manufacturer/distributor" site charges full MSRP.  You'd think it would be less expensive from them.  While I'd much rather purchase this from Amazon (not a MP vendor) I'll be getting it from the official site once funds loosen up a bit.

#1435 of 2742 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,754 posts

Posted April 03 2013 - 06:19 AM

Sugarfoot is coming!!!  Yippe Kay Ayyyy, Mr. Falcon.

#1436 of 2742 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,625 posts

Posted April 03 2013 - 06:55 AM

Still awaiting news on Dr. Kildare, the one and only thing I'm really dying for that's been mentioned as coming at some point.  I would have some interest in The Dakotas if it were released, but that's about it from Warner Brothers specifically.  Now, if we are talking about other MGM properties (like Kildare) then it's a different story.  There are several b/w series I'd jump on in that case.

Gary "as always, I am happy for fans of Sugarfoot and anything else vintage that is released - enjoy" O.

Edited by Gary OS, April 03 2013 - 06:56 AM.

#1437 of 2742 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,754 posts

Posted April 03 2013 - 06:57 AM

Gary, there was a blurb on TVShowsOnDVD not long ago that a release date for Dr. Kildare was imminent. 

Still awaiting news on Dr. Kildare, the one and only thing I'm really dying for that's been mentioned as coming at some point.  I would have some interest in The Dakotas if it were released, but that's about it from Warner Brothers specifically.  Now, if we are talking about other MGM properties (like Kildare) then it's a different story.  There are several b/w series I'd jump on in that case.

Gary "as always, I am happy for fans of Sugarfoot and anything else vintage that is released - enjoy" O.

Edited by Richard V, April 03 2013 - 06:58 AM.

#1438 of 2742 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,625 posts

Posted April 03 2013 - 07:13 AM

Gary, there was a blurb on TVShowsOnDVD not long ago that a release date for Dr. Kildare was imminent. 

Right.  That bit of news was what I was referring to with my "been mentioned as coming at some point" comment.  Hopefully we'll hear something official soon.

Gary "after Dr. Kildare is released there will only be one b/w series left that's a holy grail for me - Ozzie & Harriet season sets" O.

#1439 of 2742 OFFLINE   Lee Smith

Lee Smith

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts
  • LocationBuckfield, Maine

Posted April 03 2013 - 10:05 AM

Received the 1st season of Tombstone Territory yesterday and have watched a few episodes.  Pretty good quality.

I remember watching this when it was first broadcast so it will be fun strolling down memory lane.

There are 39 episodes for Season 1 although some sites like IMDB says that there are 40 episodes for this season.

They are wrong as one episode is listed as two different episodes.  'The Epitaph' & 'Outlaw Bugle' are the same episode.

#1440 of 2742 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,754 posts

Posted April 03 2013 - 10:09 AM

Thanks for the brief review.  Will be ordering this soon, along with the soon to be released Restless Gunn and Stoney Burke.

Received the 1st season of Tombstone Territory yesterday and have watched a few episodes.  Pretty good quality.

I remember watching this when it was first broadcast so it will be fun strolling down memory lane.

There are 39 episodes for Season 1 although some sites like IMDB says that there are 40 episodes for this season.

They are wrong as one episode is listed as two different episodes.  'The Epitaph' & 'Outlaw Bugle' are the same episode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users