-

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

• Please log in to reply
2439 replies to this topic

#2421 of 2440 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,908 posts

Posted August 27 2014 - 03:35 PM

As I recall though didn't the last release have botched encoding, turning things into a kinescopey look?

My recollection is that the encoding originally caused certain parts of the shows on the Christmas set to be skipped over.  This was fixed by the time I purchased the set, which is great.  The only kinescope related complaints I heard is with regard to the lost Jack Benny set with the complaint being that Shout took kinescopes and tried to make them look like film.  Although I'd really like a second Danny Kaye Christmas set, I will get this.

#2422 of 2440 Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,002 posts

Posted August 27 2014 - 06:32 PM

You can't make a kinescope look like film because a kinescope *is* a film look already. I'm talking about the complaints that the previous Kaye release made the videotape quality look like a kinescope which happened also in the BCI release of "Password" and the original S7 Shout release of "All In The Family."

#2423 of 2440 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,908 posts

Posted August 27 2014 - 06:55 PM

You can't make a kinescope look like film because a kinescope *is* a film look already. I'm talking about the complaints that the previous Kaye release made the videotape quality look like a kinescope which happened also in the BCI release of "Password" and the original S7 Shout release of "All In The Family."

Of course a kinescope is a film, but it is a film of a television monitor, and I at least don't think it looks as good as a show filmed directly (like I Love Lucy).  Anyway, the argument about the Jack Benny set is here: http://www.hometheat...ram-dvd-set/?hl= jack  benny  lost  episodes.  As I look back on it, I am not sure what the technical problem was with the Jack Benny set.  In the thread, someone raises that there was an issue with the Danny Kaye set of taking a videotaped show and trying to make it look like film, but I don't know whether that criticism was valid.  Personally, I find these old variety shows are best to have in the background while doing things around the house and so relatively small quality problems do not bother me.  The Danny Kaye Christmas set was terrific.

#2424 of 2440 LouA

LouA

Second Unit

• 467 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted August 28 2014 - 06:43 AM

I can't believe that they did not license the theme to this show. The theme was quaint and described the period of old New Orleans of the 1820's. That was the main reason I wanted so much to own this show as I remembered watching this on old black and white tv a thousand years ago. I'm still debating whether to purchase this or not. I do remember enjoying the episodes.

It's a good show - worth owning . The episodes seem to be complete, and the transfers are good so the only problem is the lack of the theme song. With these 1950's shows, some of the charm is lost when they don't use the original theme songs which we so closely identify with the programs.

#2425 of 2440 Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,089 posts

Posted August 28 2014 - 07:54 AM

It's a good show - worth owning . The episodes seem to be complete, and the transfers are good so the only problem is the lack of the theme song. With these 1950's shows, some of the charm is lost when they don't use the original theme songs which we so closely identify with the programs.

Which is why sometimes even when a show comes out on DVD, you should keep your old copies from film transfers or off-air.
  • Ockeghem likes this

#2426 of 2440 LouA

LouA

Second Unit

• 467 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted August 28 2014 - 08:08 AM

Which is why sometimes even when a show comes out on DVD, you should keep your old copies from film transfers or off-air.

Very true, but Yancy Derringer has been airing in syndicated prints without the theme song since the 1970s - before the days of VCRs . Those syndicated prints are cut, so Timeless did YD fans a great service by releasing complete shows even if the theme song is missing .

• cajunhillbilly likes this

#2427 of 2440 Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,522 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 28 2014 - 09:04 AM

Has this set been mentioned already? Supposedly only a few episodes (seven?) short of being the complete series. I'm guessing these are all public domain?

http://www.amazon.co.... And mrs north

#2428 of 2440 shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy

Second Unit

• 309 posts

Posted August 28 2014 - 09:48 AM

Has this set been mentioned already? Supposedly only a few episodes (seven?) short of being the complete series. I'm guessing these are all public domain?

i was looking at this too -- i know little about it and was wondering first about the show, and then the quality of the dvd images. I haven't seen any reviews except of the Alpha versions... Would it be a good blind buy ?

#2429 of 2440 BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,592 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted August 28 2014 - 10:20 AM

Of course a kinescope is a film, but it is a film of a television monitor, and I at least don't think it looks as good as a show filmed directly (like I Love Lucy).  Anyway, the argument about the Jack Benny set is here: http://www.hometheat...ram-dvd-set/?hl= jack  benny  lost  episodes.  As I look back on it, I am not sure what the technical problem was with the Jack Benny set.  In the thread, someone raises that there was an issue with the Danny Kaye set of taking a videotaped show and trying to make it look like film, but I don't know whether that criticism was valid.  Personally, I find these old variety shows are best to have in the background while doing things around the house and so relatively small quality problems do not bother me.  The Danny Kaye Christmas set was terrific.

And I thought the Jack Benny set was terrific!  I have no issues with it at all.  That could be simply because I still watch on a CRT.  It seems that lots of what I read about issues with classic TV quality seem to stem from people watching it on HD sets - which from what I've read make lots of older material look bad, or worse than watching on analog equipment.

#2430 of 2440 LouA

LouA

Second Unit

• 467 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted August 28 2014 - 11:52 AM

This release has it's own forum

#2431 of 2440 Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,522 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 29 2014 - 08:54 AM

POPULAR

This release has it's own forum

Well, since it's a new release of an old B&W series, what's wrong with mentioning it here too? Not all of us have the time or opportunity to notice or read every single thread that is posted.
  • Gary OS, BobO'Link, ChrisALM and 1 other like this

#2432 of 2440 LouA

LouA

Second Unit

• 467 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted August 29 2014 - 09:05 AM

POPULAR

Well, since it's a new release of an old B&W series, what's wrong with mentioning it here too? Not all of us have the time or opportunity to notice or read every single thread that is posted.

Hi Professor, No problem posting it here, as a matter of fact I'm glad you did . This B&W forum  is really the best place for this news .  I just wanted you to know that there was a forum , so you could see what other's had to say about this welcome release .

• Gary OS, Professor Echo, ChrisALM and 1 other like this

#2433 of 2440 Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,522 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 29 2014 - 09:09 AM

POPULAR

I hadn't seen that other thread, so thanks, Lou! I'll have to find it and read the comments.

I'm also excited about this release, but will wait for reviews before purchasing.

EDIT: Just read Bob Gu's excellent review in the corresponding thread. Sounds like a buy for me, but I'm disappointed that they didn't include ALL the shows, especially those that are available elsewhere.
  • Steve...O, Gary OS and BobO'Link like this

#2434 of 2440 LouA

LouA

Second Unit

• 467 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted August 29 2014 - 04:17 PM

I hadn't seen that other thread, so thanks, Lou! I'll have to find it and read the comments.

I'm also excited about this release, but will wait for reviews before purchasing.

EDIT: Just read Bob Gu's excellent review in the corresponding thread. Sounds like a buy for me, but I'm disappointed that they didn't include ALL the shows, especially those that are available elsewhere.

I've already ordered this set. I have some older DVD's from Critics Choice , so I'm hoping that between both sources I have all of the episodes. Hopefully we'll see further PD releases like this . Shows like Trouble With Father , It's  A great Life , Long John Silver.

• Professor Echo likes this

#2435 of 2440 Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,030 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted August 29 2014 - 06:19 PM

Very true, but Yancy Derringer has been airing in syndicated prints without the theme song since the 1970s - before the days of VCRs . Those syndicated prints are cut, so Timeless did YD fans a great service by releasing complete shows even if the theme song is missing .

As I recall there also are two or three episodes with the wrong closing credits (i.e., credits from a different episode), but that's a minor quibble for me. Yancy Derringer is a show which I never expected to see on DVD, so I was thrilled to get the entire run.

• Susan Nunes_329977 likes this
Rich Gallagher

#2436 of 2440 BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,592 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted September 28 2014 - 06:20 PM

POPULAR

My $8.50 copy of State Trooper arrived yesterday.  I'd actually forgotten I'd ordered this so it was a surprise!  It's a pretty nice set - 2 standard size multi-disc amaray cases with pages to hold the disks and a paperboard outer slipcase.  Yes, slipcase - open at the top and bottom with both cases sliding into the middle.  Both cases have a episode guide on the back and the episodes are also listed on each disc.  The season 1 case has a bonus disc with 4 westerns in which Rod Cameron did a guest appearance: Tales of Wells Fargo (Assignment in Gloribee), The Men From Shiloh (Gun Quest), Alias Smith & Jones (The Biggest Game in the West), and Laramie (The Last Journey).  The last disc of S3 has the pilot episode from the series, "Rodeo Rough House."  Season 1 has 3 discs of 10 episodes and 1 disc of 9 episodes.  Season 2 and 3 are 3 discs each with 11 episodes per disc.

The episodes I've watched so far are in fair to good shape and quite watchable.  Episode lengths are a bit over 25 minutes so my guess is they're complete.  My biggest gripe is the audio which is a bit muffled sounding requiring turning the sound up a bit to be able to hear everything.  I found it a bit humorous that it's a police show about a State Trooper who would be in a car but the open has a scene of Cameron riding horseback.  Then along comes episode 3 and there he is on that horse to go into the back country on a case!  That episode played more like a western. :)

I've really enjoyed the episodes I've watched and in the first 2 episodes have seen 2 of my favorite TV moms playing criminals!   They were Jean Byron (The Patty Duke Show) and Carolyn Jones (The Addams Family).  That got me looking at who else made appearances on the show.  There's quite a impressive roster of movie actors, soon-to-be-TV-stars, and character actors who make appearances.  I noticed I have another favorite TV mom coming up late in S1, Whitney Blake (Hazel) and that Jean Byron makes 4 more appearances during the series with Carolyn Jones making 1 more.

That brings up something I'd always noticed growing up.  *Lots* of the same people would show up on *lots* of TV shows.  At one point I can recall being annoyed when certain character actors would appear thinking "can't they ever get anyone else?" - especially if there was a particular *type* that person specialized in playing.  Now, it's quite a bit of fun picking them out and seeing them again!  It's one of those things that when they slowly faded away I never really noticed but when looking back at the older programs realize how good they were and how much I actually miss their performances.

• Gary OS, Regulus, Ockeghem and 3 others like this

#2437 of 2440 Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,228 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:53 AM

My $8.50 copy of State Trooper arrived yesterday.  I'd actually forgotten I'd ordered this so it was a surprise!  It's a pretty nice set - 2 standard size multi-disc amaray cases with pages to hold the disks and a paperboard outer slipcase.  Yes, slipcase - open at the top and bottom with both cases sliding into the middle.  Both cases have a episode guide on the back and the episodes are also listed on each disc.  The season 1 case has a bonus disc with 4 westerns in which Rod Cameron did a guest appearance: Tales of Wells Fargo (Assignment in Gloribee), The Men From Shiloh (Gun Quest), Alias Smith & Jones (The Biggest Game in the West), and Laramie (The Last Journey).  The last disc of S3 has the pilot episode from the series, "Rodeo Rough House."  Season 1 has 3 discs of 10 episodes and 1 disc of 9 episodes.  Season 2 and 3 are 3 discs each with 11 episodes per disc.

The episodes I've watched so far are in fair to good shape and quite watchable.  Episode lengths are a bit over 25 minutes so my guess is they're complete.  My biggest gripe is the audio which is a bit muffled sounding requiring turning the sound up a bit to be able to hear everything.  I found it a bit humorous that it's a police show about a State Trooper who would be in a car but the open has a scene of Cameron riding horseback.  Then along comes episode 3 and there he is on that horse to go into the back country on a case!  That episode played more like a western. :)

I've really enjoyed the episodes I've watched and in the first 2 episodes have seen 2 of my favorite TV moms playing criminals!   They were Jean Byron (The Patty Duke Show) and Carolyn Jones (The Addams Family).  That got me looking at who else made appearances on the show.  There's quite a impressive roster of movie actors, soon-to-be-TV-stars, and character actors who make appearances.  I noticed I have another favorite TV mom coming up late in S1, Whitney Blake (Hazel) and that Jean Byron makes 4 more appearances during the series with Carolyn Jones making 1 more.

That brings up something I'd always noticed growing up.  *Lots* of the same people would show up on *lots* of TV shows.  At one point I can recall being annoyed when certain character actors would appear thinking "can't they ever get anyone else?" - especially if there was a particular *type* that person specialized in playing.  Now, it's quite a bit of fun picking them out and seeing them again!  It's one of those things that when they slowly faded away I never really noticed but when looking back at the older programs realize how good they were and how much I actually miss their performances.

My set should arrive this week (Wednesday, according to the Big River) I can hardly wait to receive it! :dancing-banana-04:

• cajunhillbilly likes this

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 36,337 :biggrin: ( 751 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,406   :B)   Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#2438 of 2440 Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Supporting Actor

• 556 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:03 AM

When I went on my "Dragnet" kick a while back, both '50s and '60s versions, I was amazed at the small stable of actors that kept turning up: Eddie Firestone, Vic Perrin, Virginia Gregg, Olan Soule, and a few others I can't recall right now. And they were always good, no matter what roles they were playing. Plus, there were lots of soon-to-be-famous names in "Dragnet" as well: Lee Marvin, Martin Milner, Carolyn Jones, Paul Burke, etc.

• Ron1973 likes this

#2439 of 2440 Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,228 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:40 PM

Not one, but TWO box sets of State Trooper were delivered to me this afternoon! :banana:  :drum:  :rock:  :dance:   I confess I had an "Alternate Version" of this series, After receiving the official sets the 'boots went to my Bar, it's called "The Workbench". The Bartender's initials are B.F.H. and all who go to this bar get HAMMERED! :laugh: :rolling-smiley:

As for the second set I received, I'll be sending it to a family in Texas as a Christmas Present. :cheers:

Edited by Regulus, Yesterday, 03:57 PM.

• Gary OS likes this

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 36,337 :biggrin: ( 751 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,406   :B)   Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#2440 of 2440 HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,258 posts

Posted Today, 05:51 AM

Glad I kept that State Trooper pre-order, it should arrive soon.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)