Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2517 replies to this topic

#2261 of 2518 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,157 posts

Posted June 04 2014 - 08:49 AM

POPULAR

If VCI is releasing a new Four Star catalog title, then *maybe* they'll be able to go back and finish "Burke's Law"???

• phenri, Jack K and Tooncy like this

#2262 of 2518 OFFLINE   Tooncy

Tooncy

Stunt Coordinator

• 208 posts

Posted June 04 2014 - 09:06 AM

I'm gonna guess that VCI has a very small budget. Possibly why the releases are so few and far between.

#2263 of 2518 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,580 posts

Posted June 05 2014 - 08:15 AM

POPULAR

In the interest of fairness, I should note that the WBA has released and will be releasing several b/w sets this year.  We've got Dr. Kildare, Cheyenne, Maverick, Sugarfoot and Bronco.  Hopefully we'll see some other releases that I'd be more inclined to purchase.  Things like The Dakotas, Colt '45, 77 Sunset Strip or something from MGM like The Islanders or even National Velvet (if they have the rights to them).

It'd also be nice to see either or both of Timeless and TGG give us another run of b/w series that haven't aired in some time.  But I'm not optimistic on that front, unfortunately.  The only thing I'm holding out hope for is The Rebel from Timeless.  A friend of mine has taken it upon himself to work some special magic that pretty much never fails to get a series headed our way.  I can't divulge his secret, but trust me - his track record is uncanny. 

Gary "keeping my fingers crossed for a strong second half of 2014 in the b/w releases scene" O.

• Randy Korstick, ChrisALM, Richard V and 4 others like this
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#2264 of 2518 OFFLINE   Darby67

Darby67

Second Unit

• 318 posts

Posted June 05 2014 - 11:20 AM

It'd also be nice to see either or both of Timeless and TGG give us another run of b/w series that haven't aired in some time.  But I'm not optimistic on that front, unfortunately.  The only thing I'm holding out hope for is The Rebel from Timeless.  A friend of mine has taken it upon himself to work some special magic that pretty much never fails to get a series headed our way.  I can't divulge his secret, but trust me - his track record is uncanny. 

Gary "keeping my fingers crossed for a strong second half of 2014 in the b/w releases scene" O.

Gary:

Thanks for that glimmer of hope regarding a complete series release of The Rebel!

Darby

• Gary OS likes this

#2265 of 2518 OFFLINE   phenri

phenri

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted June 05 2014 - 12:10 PM

Gary:

Thanks for that glimmer of hope regarding a complete series release of The Rebel!

Darby

The Rebel is one of the three b/w shows on my want list, along with Burke's Law and Sgt. Bilko. I hope all are released soon.

I'm also enjoying what WB is putting out in b/w. I'm really looking forward to 77 Sunset Strip, whenever it is released.

• Gary OS likes this

#2266 of 2518 OFFLINE   Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Supporting Actor

• 638 posts

Posted June 05 2014 - 01:56 PM

In the interest of fairness, I should note that the WBA has released and will be releasing several b/w sets this year.  We've got Dr. Kildare, Cheyenne, Maverick, Sugarfoot and Bronco.  Hopefully we'll see some other releases that I'd be more inclined to purchase.  Things like The Dakotas, Colt '45, 77 Sunset Strip or something from MGM like The Islanders or even National Velvet (if they have the rights to them).

I remember taping an episode of "National Velvet" off of TNT some 20-odd years ago and being initially pleasantly surprised that I'd discovered another early color series from MGM based on one of their classics, just like "Northwest Passage." Yet, for some reason, the credits sequence was in b&w. Why was that? Had the series started out as a b&w series like so many others from that time and then switched to color and the only credits sequence they could find when TNT revived it was in b&w? No. The series was in b&w through-and-through. The episode I was watching had been colorized. Boo-hiss!

• Gary OS and Jack K like this

#2267 of 2518 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 580 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted June 05 2014 - 03:29 PM

Has BRONCO been announced?

#2268 of 2518 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,476 posts

Posted June 06 2014 - 06:32 AM

Right Now Bronco is an Exclusive to ImportCDs and DVDPlanet just as Sugarfoot Season 1 was last summer. Its available in late July. It will most likely be available on the WA site 2-3 months after that.

• Gary OS likes this
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#2269 of 2518 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,580 posts

Posted June 06 2014 - 06:36 AM

Right Now Bronco is an Exclusive to ImportCDs and DVDPlanet just as Sugarfoot Season 1 was last summer. Its available in late July. It will most likely be available on the WA site 2-3 months after that.

Thanks, Randy.  I knew I had heard about it somewhere but just couldn't remember the details.

Gary "glad to know The Dakotas is coming for sure down the road" O.

#2270 of 2518 OFFLINE   smithbrad

smithbrad

Supporting Actor

• 567 posts

Posted June 06 2014 - 01:45 PM

Unfortunately, it is possible things have changed a bit. Neither ImportCDs or DVDPlanet has it listed anymore. And while DeepDiscount does list it, it has no defined release date (unless 12/31/2025 is a release date).  Maybe it was delayed, maybe WB is going to release in-house first, or maybe the vendors just jumped the gun and posted it too soon for WB.

#2271 of 2518 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 580 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted June 08 2014 - 07:38 AM

Unfortunately, it is possible things have changed a bit. Neither ImportCDs or DVDPlanet has it listed anymore. And while DeepDiscount does list it, it has no defined release date (unless 12/31/2025 is a release date).  Maybe it was delayed, maybe WB is going to release in-house first, or maybe the vendors just jumped the gun and posted it too soon for WB.

I went to Import Cd looking to order it - I was wondering if they would have  a Ty Hardin autograph like they did with Sugarfoot Season 2, but couldn't find it there at all. I'd guess WBA will carry this exclusively for a while . This is a show I'm really looking forward to -haven't seen much of it in years.

#2272 of 2518 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,569 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 08 2014 - 01:11 PM

POPULAR

In a recent correspondence with Timeless regarding a possible defective disc in their TOMBSTONE TERRITORY set (which ultimately turned out to my player and not the software), I inquired about THE REBEL and the very nice rep told me they are actively searching for acceptable quality episodes in order to release the complete series.

And I will add that writing them again and getting such prompt, polite responses proves to me that they are not fully under Shout's heel yet.
  • Randy Korstick, Steve...O, Gary OS and 4 others like this

#2273 of 2518 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,476 posts

Posted June 09 2014 - 06:41 AM

I just noticed that it is no longer listed as well. Any of your answers are possibilities. My guess is they just posted it too soon or the masters weren't quite ready yet. It looks like they plan to continue to give these sites some exclusives with a short window before it appears on the WA site.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#2274 of 2518 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,476 posts

Posted June 18 2014 - 06:38 AM

Bronco: Season 1 is back up for Pre-Order at ImportCDs and DVDPlanet so I'm guessing they originally put it up before WA wanted them to. It doesn't have a real release date currently but one can assume that the original date of July 29th is still correct. This will most likely appear on the WA site 2-3 months later after the exclusive window just as Sugarfoot did.

• Gary OS and Jack K like this

Top 20 Films

#2275 of 2518 OFFLINE   smithbrad

smithbrad

Supporting Actor

• 567 posts

Posted June 18 2014 - 08:48 AM

I wouldn't mind still seeing it released by WB exclusively first with the previously mentioned July release just the official release from everyone else. WB has a way of pushing things out with little fanfare and notice. Not saying it will, but it still could.

• Jack K likes this

#2276 of 2518 OFFLINE   oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff

Second Unit

• 381 posts

Posted June 18 2014 - 06:39 PM

State Trooper fans, take notice. Separate sets of S1 and S2-3 were released a few years back. Now, a repackaged collection of all three seasons will be released by Timeless with a bonus disc with Rod Cameron guest starring on four different western series, Tales of Wells Fargo, Laramie, Men From Shiloh, and Alias Smith and Jones. I won't need to double dip though, but I'll need to get Men From Shiloh to get a Rod Cameron episode.
  • Mike*HTF likes this

#2277 of 2518 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 580 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted June 19 2014 - 09:30 PM

State Trooper fans, take notice. Separate sets of S1 and S2-3 were released a few years back. Now, a repackaged collection of all three seasons will be released by Timeless with a bonus disc with Rod Cameron guest starring on four different western series, Tales of Wells Fargo, Laramie, Men From Shiloh, and Alias Smith and Jones. I won't need to double dip though, but I'll need to get Men From Shiloh to get a Rod Cameron episode.

Interesting how a company like Timeless can make more money re-releasing shows like State Trooper, than they can by licensing other old B &W shows like the ZIV shows. Shows like Riverboat , Reastless Gun, Whispering Smith , Will Sonnett , get multiple releases, while other old shows like The Peoples Choice , Adventures In Paradise, Waterfront never get a release.

• Gary OS likes this

#2278 of 2518 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,580 posts

Posted June 20 2014 - 05:51 AM

Interesting how a company like Timeless can make more money re-releasing shows like State Trooper, than they can by licensing other old B &W shows like the ZIV shows. Shows like Riverboat , Reastless Gun, Whispering Smith , Will Sonnett , get multiple releases, while other old shows like The Peoples Choice , Adventures In Paradise, Waterfront never get a release.

I think these re-releases are a direct result of the Shout takeover.  It's really sad, to say the least.

Gary "still hoping for The Rebel, but that hope dwindles just a little bit with each passing day" O.

#2279 of 2518 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,316 posts

Posted June 20 2014 - 07:15 AM

Maybe it's in vain, but I still wish Timeless would revisit The Texan, and correct the lighting on all those brighter episodes and perhaps in the process find some missing episodes to include. That would make an awesome well worth it re-release, ala The Restless Gun.

#2280 of 2518 OFFLINE   Silverking

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator

• 86 posts

Posted June 20 2014 - 07:24 AM

They have just re-released 'The Texan', whether or not they have adjusted the lighting I can't say, though I doubt it.

They have put it out as 'The Complete Series' - however it is the same as the earlier release & no new episodes are included.

Bit of a fraud really.

• HenryDuBrow and Ron1973 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users