Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2517 replies to this topic

#2201 of 2518 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,161 posts

Posted April 28 2014 - 11:48 AM

Yeah, he ended up finding the unsold "Man In The Square Suit" pilot instead (the last ever Chertok production) and that was included on the S3 "My Favorite Martian" release.    It's amazing how half the run of a filmed series could just disappear like that but its a reminder of how these series aren't necessarily as well-preserved as we think they are.

#2202 of 2518 OFFLINE   Tooncy

Tooncy

Stunt Coordinator

• 208 posts

Posted April 28 2014 - 03:31 PM

Just because something can't be located doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

#2203 of 2518 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor

• 582 posts

Posted April 28 2014 - 05:33 PM

POPULAR

Yeah, he ended up finding the unsold "Man In The Square Suit" pilot instead (the last ever Chertok production) and that was included on the S3 "My Favorite Martian" release.    It's amazing how half the run of a filmed series could just disappear like that but its a reminder of how these series aren't necessarily as well-preserved as we think they are.

I am always amazed that after all the time and expense and effort that goes into the filming of a TV series, there would be no one that had the level of interest to at least archive a complete copy of the work. (And not just TV series, but shorts like Laurel and Hardy or movies like Charlie Chan, for example).

I guess we are fortunate to have what we have.

• cwilli, benbess and LouA like this

#2204 of 2518 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,585 posts

Posted May 18 2014 - 08:20 PM

POPULAR

Well, things have gotten so bad in terms of new b/w releases that this thread fell to the 4th page.  I'm still hoping for some good news from Timeless, but to be honest it's pretty grim right now.  Not being a big WB westerns guy, the news of Bronco coming next isn't exactly what I was hoping for.  Happy for those that want it, but to be honest that series encapsulates everything I don't care for: soundstage filming galore, few on location scenes, tons of stock footage use, and scripts that weren't as good as some of their more well-known westerns like Cheyenne or Maverick.  I'd personally like to see them release The Dakotas, Colt .45 or even The Alaskans next.  

With that said, I looked back at my purchases since the start of the new year and the only b/w sets I've bought are The Adventures of Champion, a couple of Troughton Doctor Whos, and Rawhide S7.   That's pretty bad. 

On the plus side this has given me a chance to dive into what I do have more now than ever.  So I'm enjoying catching up more on past purchases.  If I get nothing else this year as it concerns b/w TV on DVD (and I hope the future isn't that bleak) then it's still okay.  I have enough in my collection to last me the rest of my life.  At this point I just have to be thankful we've gotten as many 50's and early 60's releases as we have.

Gary "take care, fellow HTF'ers" O.

• Steve...O, Professor Echo, benbess and 1 other like this
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#2205 of 2518 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted May 18 2014 - 09:01 PM

I saw this on Facebook just now and thought you'd enjoy it, Gary:

https://www.youtube....h?v=E9ceZrL1bYM (Ricky Nelson doing a couple of country songs on Ozzie and Harriet)

FYI: His two country LP's are well worth picking up if you don't have them

• Gary OS likes this

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#2206 of 2518 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,585 posts

Posted May 18 2014 - 09:10 PM

POPULAR

Great stuff, Ron.  Thanks!

Gary "gosh I wish the entire series would somehow find it's way onto DVD" O.

• LeoA, LouA and Ron1973 like this

#2207 of 2518 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,141 posts

Posted May 19 2014 - 10:36 AM

Ozzie and Harriet started in radio I believe.  I am sure this has all been spoke of in that thread.  I can barely remember the series but Ricky singing.  I also remember that when Dave and Ricky married their real life wives were in the series.

I really enjoyed some years back the Biography Show on the couple.  I also watched a Perry Mason episode on ME TV the next door neighbor appearing on Perry.  Harry I think was his name on OH.  I also caught an episode with David just married about 2 years ago and the family worried that he would not send his new wife flowers.

I am so glad to be able to read this thread and have the focus of it stay on track thanks to Gary,

• Steve...O and Gary OS like this

#2208 of 2518 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,585 posts

Posted May 20 2014 - 05:39 AM

POPULAR

Ozzie and Harriet started in radio I believe.  I am sure this has all been spoke of in that thread.  I can barely remember the series but Ricky singing.  I also remember that when Dave and Ricky married their real life wives were in the series.

I really enjoyed some years back the Biography Show on the couple.  I also watched a Perry Mason episode on ME TV the next door neighbor appearing on Perry.  Harry I think was his name on OH.  I also caught an episode with David just married about 2 years ago and the family worried that he would not send his new wife flowers.

I am so glad to be able to read this thread and have the focus of it stay on track thanks to Gary,

You are spot on in all those points you raised, Mark.  Good stuff.  I actually enjoyed the later seasons of Ozzie & Harriet just as much, if not more, than the early seasons when the boys were both still young.  Some folks didn't care for the show as much once the boys married, but I'm not in that group.  I felt like the series held up very well from start to finish (with perhaps only the last season beginning to show symptoms of lagging).

I think there's an outside chance that Sam will get us a few of the early seasons (although I'm not willing to bet the farm on anything), but unless a solid company gets behind this effort I can't see the entire 14 seasons being released.  Presently that just doesn't appear to be very likely from my perspective.

Gary "I guess the next b/w series I'll be interested in will be Gunsmoke S10" O.

• Ockeghem, Mark Collins, BobO'Link and 4 others like this

#2209 of 2518 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,141 posts

Posted May 20 2014 - 07:43 AM

POPULAR

Thank you Gary that is high praise coming from you.  Lover of the great classics as you are my friend I consider it an honor what you said about my post.

I too began to appreciate Gunsmoke 1 hour B/W shows when I had encore westerns.  I also picked up on me TV the half hour shows which I believe Jeff Willis said you turned him on too.

I wish I had the cash to buy the series.  Right now I am being conservative because of the long debate within me to buy I Love Lucy on Blu-Ray.  I also want Batman when it comes out. 

Like I said before I am so glad this is such a great positive thread.  Glen has made some great remarks and I always read all the members posts on this thread.

People here really care about these shows and I hope that all the B/W shows people want will come out.

Thanks again for your remarks good friend.

Mark

• Steve...O, Gary OS, Professor Echo and 1 other like this

#2210 of 2518 OFFLINE   smithbrad

smithbrad

Supporting Actor

• 567 posts

Posted May 20 2014 - 08:22 AM

POPULAR

Mark,

FYI, lots of Gunsmoke dirt cheap on Amazon right now, if it fits your budget. The nice part is that you don't have to buy a large package of multi-seasons at one time like in many "Deal of the Days". These are priced cheap at the individual season volume level ($10 - $14 each), so even if you only want to pick up a few you can take advantage of it.

• Gary OS, Mark Collins and Jack K like this

#2211 of 2518 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,684 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted May 20 2014 - 08:49 AM

^And smithbrad beat me to it!  I don't know why I didn't cross post that sale here too! :)

Keep in mind that it's the "TVonDVD Deal of the Week" so if I understand correctly it's only through Saturday. 

I've ordered/purchased *way* too much stuff already this month but that season 1 set keeps calling my name...

• Gary OS and Mark Collins like this

#2212 of 2518 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,161 posts

Posted May 21 2014 - 03:29 PM

The reissue of "My Favorite Martian" S1 next month might be worth an upgrade since there's a lot of bonus content not previously made available, including an unsold Chertok pilot "The Reluctant Eye".   Plus, Rhino used double sided discs (though the third disc with just a few episodes was single-sided) which makes this another reason to upgrade/

• LouA likes this

#2213 of 2518 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 586 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted May 21 2014 - 03:34 PM

POPULAR

The reissue of "My Favorite Martian" S1 next month might be worth an upgrade since there's a lot of bonus content not previously made available, including an unsold Chertok pilot "The Reluctant Eye".   Plus, Rhino used double sided discs (though the third disc with just a few episodes was single-sided) which makes this another reason to upgrade/

I'll be getting this even though I already have the Rhino version. Single sided discs and the bonus material are definately the lure for me . With Timeless and TGG Direct sitting on the sidelines in terms of B&W shows ,  maybe MPI will release more titles lik ethis .

• Gary OS, Ockeghem, Ron1973 and 1 other like this

#2214 of 2518 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,684 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted May 21 2014 - 05:39 PM

I never purchased the Rhino versions of My Favorite Martian due to all the reported issues with the DS discs.  Because the re release of S1 (and hopefully S2) from MPI has taken so long following their release of S3 I've often regretted that decision to avoid the Rhino releases and *almost* purchased the Australian releases to get the series.  I was thrilled when I saw the release info on DVDTalk.com and have already pre-ordered the MPI S1 set and hope they continue and fill in the blank of S2.  I currently have no plans to purchase S3 unless they release S2 as well.

While I'm not a "bonus material" type person it *is* nice to know theyve made the extra effort and are not just re releasing the Rhino set on SS discs.

• Ron1973 likes this

#2215 of 2518 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor

• 582 posts

Posted May 21 2014 - 06:47 PM

I have the Rhino set for Season 1 and I am looking at this, too. I had problems with the flippers, so the single sided discs would certainly be an upgrade.

I really wish MPI would follow up with Season 2. I still do not have that and I haven't heard about any plans for a release.

#2216 of 2518 OFFLINE   Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Supporting Actor

• 644 posts

Posted May 22 2014 - 03:33 AM

I want to take advantage of the Gunsmoke sale on Amazon, but I'm just curious if anyone has any recommendations for which seasons to prioritize. I'm interested in the b&w hour-long shows, but I only want to buy one or two seasons.

Thanks.

#2217 of 2518 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,684 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted May 22 2014 - 09:08 AM

I have the Rhino set for Season 1 and I am looking at this, too. I had problems with the flippers, so the single sided discs would certainly be an upgrade.

I really wish MPI would follow up with Season 2. I still do not have that and I haven't heard about any plans for a release.

There's a thread here somewhere in which a MPI rep let us know S3 was coming.  Several of us expressed a desire for and asked if they were going to re release S1 & S2.  IIRC the rep indicated they *were* going to release both earlier seasons but didn't have a time frame.  That discussion was *before* the release of the MPI S3 set which is why I'd about given up on ever seeing re releases of S1 & S2 from them.  The re release of S1 gives me hope but I'd rather not have to wait the almost 2 years we saw between the S1 & S3 releases before S2 arrives!

• Ron1973 likes this

#2218 of 2518 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted May 22 2014 - 10:13 AM

There's a thread here somewhere in which a MPI rep let us know S3 was coming.  Several of us expressed a desire for and asked if they were going to re release S1 & S2.  IIRC the rep indicated they *were* going to release both earlier seasons but didn't have a time frame.  That discussion was *before* the release of the MPI S3 set which is why I'd about given up on ever seeing re releases of S1 & S2 from them.  The re release of S1 gives me hope but I'd rather not have to wait the almost 2 years we saw between the S1 & S3 releases before S2 arrives!

What do the MPI S3 episodes look like quality wise? I don't want to hijack Gary's thread with a discussion on a color season but I watched a couple of them streaming on Amazon and they very much looked like they were taken from tape elements instead of film. Is this the case with the MPI release as well?

Find me on Facebook

My blog

#2219 of 2518 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,161 posts

Posted May 22 2014 - 11:03 AM

The S3 MPI set did feature remastered elements from my standpoint that looked fine.   In fact, I had previously owned the region-free Australian release of S3 which erroneously used a 16mm print for one episode and that was fixed in the MPI set.

• Ron1973 likes this

#2220 of 2518 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted May 22 2014 - 12:50 PM

The S3 MPI set did feature remastered elements from my standpoint that looked fine.   In fact, I had previously owned the region-free Australian release of S3 which erroneously used a 16mm print for one episode and that was fixed in the MPI set.

Sounds great!

Find me on Facebook

My blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users