Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * - - 6 votes

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2741 replies to this topic

#2121 of 2742 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,896 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 10 2014 - 08:05 PM

POPULAR

Needless to say some posts have been deleted and further disciplinary action is being considered towards a couple of members.  Let's stop the bickering along with the personal attacks!  Show some respect towards each other.  It's really a sad commentary that members feel they have to leave a thread and that moderating action needs to take place over this particular subject matter.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#2122 of 2742 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,318 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted April 11 2014 - 06:18 AM

POPULAR

I'll put in my thoughts that Gary should stay as well!

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#2123 of 2742 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,651 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted April 11 2014 - 06:54 AM

POPULAR

This thread is one of the most interesting threads on the forum thanks to the knowledge and love of the medium shown by the likes of Gary.  He would be sorely missed by me and countless others, I'm sure.  I don't post much here only because I really don't feel the need.  Even though I grew up in the late 50s and through the 60s, you guys know more about classic TV than I ever did, so I just read and learn.

#2124 of 2742 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,318 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted April 11 2014 - 07:40 AM

POPULAR

This thread is one of the most interesting threads on the forum thanks to the knowledge and love of the medium shown by the likes of Gary.  He would be sorely missed by me and countless others, I'm sure.  I don't post much here only because I really don't feel the need.  Even though I grew up in the late 50s and through the 60s, you guys know more about classic TV than I ever did, so I just read and learn.

Yeah, exactly how I think. I wasn't around to catch the "good ole days" in their original format, especially the 50's and 60's stuff and had to catch them in re-runs as a kid in the 70's and 80's. Gary's knowledge about this stuff absolutely is enough to blow one away!

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#2125 of 2742 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,367 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 08:05 AM

POPULAR

I have never posted here but read it often. I took a quick look today and read that another one of those attacks has taken place and on my good friend Gary.I am glad I missed all that was posted. I always refuse to read negative attacks on a HTF Members posts. The whole thing revolts me. I wait return to thread or in some cases not return to it at all. I am glad at least here at HTF the posts are deleted as soon as possible.

#2126 of 2742 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor

• 652 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 05:04 PM

I hope Gary will reconsider and return to this thread.

I always enjoy reading his posts, they are insightful and provide information that I often do not receive anywhere else.

#2127 of 2742 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,144 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 09:05 PM

Okay, I'm going to make Lugoff (among others) very happy today.  I bid farewell to the thread that I started so as not to weary anyone any longer.  Nothing is worse than overstaying one's welcome, so I'm done.  Have your parade now.

Gary "let the confetti and balloons drop" O.

P.S.  As I walk out the door I just want to call a couple of things to attention concerning the thread.  First, the title is a question, not a statement of fact.  I asked a couple of years ago "if" we were seeing the demise of b/w titles.  Second, I specifically used the word "slowly", as opposed to "immediately" or "quickly".  Some seem to be arguing that since there are still some b/w releases that my comments are off base.  But the opposite is true, imho.  Just saying.  Okay, now I'm done.

Sometimes I disagree with you, but I don't have any trouble with your posts or those of any other long time member.  Sometimes we get someone who only wants to make negative comments, but they never seem to stay for long.

#2128 of 2742 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,144 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 09:10 PM

Here's the big B&W news of the day, the return of Zane Grey Theater: http://www.tvshowson...-Season-2/19686.  Since Timeless/Shout is now issuing the second season of a show the first season of which was issued by VCI, I am hoping this patter will be repeated with another highly desired B&W show.

#2129 of 2742 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 702 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted April 12 2014 - 05:04 PM

I hope Gary will reconsider and return to this thread.

I always enjoy reading his posts, they are insightful and provide information that I often do not receive anywhere else.

I agree - the thread simply would'nt be the same without him .

#2130 of 2742 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 702 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted April 12 2014 - 05:12 PM

Here's the big B&W news of the day, the return of Zane Grey Theater: http://www.tvshowson...-Season-2/19686.  Since Timeless/Shout is now issuing the second season of a show the first season of which was issued by VCI, I am hoping this patter will be repeated with another highly desired B&W show.

Excellant news! Let's keep our fingers crossed that there will  be more  releases in the future, if not from Timeless, than from VCI ,Schanachie, TGG, Warner Archives , or Mill Creek .

What I'm hoping for now, is a  Small company to specialize in some of the older sitcoms that lasted for years (My Little Margie , December Bride , Our Miss Brooks , Burns And Allen , People's Choice, Love That Bob  etc ).  These small companies don't have thier own films and shows  so they need to license them  , like Olive films has done with vintage movies.  It may never happen , but I'm always hopeful.

#2131 of 2742 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor

• 652 posts

Posted April 12 2014 - 07:08 PM

This is good news - although one episode will not be on the set for legal reasons. Anybody know what that is all about?

#2132 of 2742 OFFLINE   oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff

Second Unit

• 403 posts

Posted April 12 2014 - 07:23 PM

This is good news - although one episode will not be on the set for legal reasons. Anybody know what that is all about?

It is an episode titled "The Sharpshooter", starring Chuck Connors which was a pilot for "The Rifleman" series, and Four Star had its half-ownership in that series bought out by Levy-Gardner-Laven Productions some 40 years ago. You can find it in its original ZGT version in the Rifleman S1 DVD set, directly from LGL.

#2133 of 2742 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor

• 652 posts

Posted April 13 2014 - 05:45 PM

Thanks, oldtvshowbuff, at least there is a way to get the episode. I will eventually be getting the Rifleman Season 1 set.

#2134 of 2742 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,626 posts

Posted April 15 2014 - 06:52 AM

POPULAR

After taking several days to think about it, and read the comments left by others here, I've decided it would be wrong to let one bad apple chase me away.  I really do love B & W TV shows and enjoy discussing them with my friends here.  I especially want to thank those of you who took time to write some words of encouragement.  Folks like Jeff, Brad, Glen, Steve, Regulus, Mark, David, Leo, John, Ron, Rob, Chris, Jack P (who took one on the chin while defending me) and all the others who clicked "like" on a supportive post.  It is greatly appreciated.

Gary "now back to your regularly scheduled program" O.  :)

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#2135 of 2742 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,651 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted April 15 2014 - 07:08 AM

POPULAR

It's great to have you back, Gary.

Rob "I couldn't imagine this thread without you" Ray

#2136 of 2742 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,367 posts

Posted April 15 2014 - 01:11 PM

POPULAR

Welcome Home Gary!

I a very glad you changed your mind.  I always try to look for some good that might come out of a bad experience.

People now see that HTF as Robert stated has rules.  This time consequences may and I say may have come with certain members bad behavior.

I hope that this may be the start of a new day. Members respecting each others opinion's on all threads.  99% of us members do. Now perhaps that 1% will begin to change to 100%.

#2137 of 2742 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor

• 652 posts

Posted April 15 2014 - 02:08 PM

Welcome back, Gary!

This thread has been a great place for discussing B/W television shows.

You belong here.

#2138 of 2742 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor

• 652 posts

Posted April 15 2014 - 02:15 PM

Not as long as I'm alive! Nearly 1/3 of my collection is in Beautiful Black and White. Long Live Black and White!!!

Your post has brought me to thinking about my collection and how much B/W television material I have - and I really don't know the answer to that.

Guess I'll have to get to work and figure it out.

And a big thanks to Timeless for what I do have.

#2139 of 2742 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,835 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 15 2014 - 02:17 PM

Glad you decided to return, Gary! Now before the brass band plays again, quickly check out my separate thread about an underhanded move from the Warner Archive. It's not about a black and white show, but it speaks volumes about trusting the Warner Archive too much.

#2140 of 2742 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,626 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 05:59 AM

POPULAR

Thanks for all the welcome backs.  You guys are the best!  :thumbs-up-smiley:

Gary "not leaving this thread again" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users