-

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

• Please log in to reply
2434 replies to this topic

#2041 of 2435 Silverking

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted March 12 2014 - 06:11 AM

POPULAR

TMG's announcement of giving "I Spy" it's *third* release has me really annoyed because if they have the Four Star catalog and are supposedly going to unstall "Zane Grey Theater" then as far as I'm concerned there is no excuse to not unstall "Burke's Law" which was a more popular show and still runs on cable and was a top seller for VCI when S1 was released.    We are talking about just  *one* more season (I don't care if "Amos Burke Secret Agent" ever gets released.  That's not the same show as far as I'm concerned) and this should be a natural for TMG even with a diminished B/W output.    If "Burke's Law" gets frozen out just because it's not a western, that will not make me happy with their management at all.

Jack

I have heard no announcements that Timeless have acquired the Four Star catalogue. The likelihood is that they negotiate for different shows on a series by series basis.  Wether 'Burkes Law' was a top seller for VCI I don't know. They didn't release S2 though, nor did the UK company where it had appeared first.

I sincerely doubt Timeless would freeze it out because its not a western, We have had this debate before in a different thread & TMG have released many, many shows which aren't westerns. Bit unfair to be angry with them for a series they don't even have !

• Gary OS, Professor Echo and Ron1973 like this

#2042 of 2435 Jack P

Jack P

Screenwriter

• 2,993 posts

Posted March 12 2014 - 02:41 PM

That they are already releasing "The Big Valley" (which I am grateful for) and if they are doing "Zane Grey Theater" means that the Four Star catalog is available at what should be a reasonable license rate again for the shows covered by it.    I certainly did not mean to say that Timeless has the rights to the whole catalog but if we are seeing them get titles *from* it, then I think that should make those titles encompassed by the Four Star catalog fair game for consideration by Timeless and fair game for comment.   If "Burke's Law" isn't going to get consideration for them then I think there's a legit reason to feel disappointment on that score because the title has had a much longer after-life then frankly most of the B/W titles Timeless has ever released in the past from whatever catalog they utilized.     If "Burke's Law" doesn't make it, but "Zane Grey Theater" gets fast-tracked, then I'm not left with much of a reason for why that should be the case other than one isn't a western.   

VCI incidentally did want to continue releasing Burke's Law, which was a top seller with them (I kept checking their website for weeks on end back in those days hoping that would justify continuation) but Fox simply raised the rates on them.    That clearly also applied to "Zane Grey Theater" at the time as well so now if things have softened on one title for Timeless, then I really don't see why it should also be the case for arguably the most popular B/W title in the whole catalog.    It's not like we're talking about "The Rogues" or one of the lesser non-western titles.

#2043 of 2435 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,883 posts

Posted March 12 2014 - 04:06 PM

It's not exactly b&w, but was the Burke's law reboot in the 1990s very good?

#2044 of 2435 LouA

LouA

Second Unit

• 462 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted March 12 2014 - 06:37 PM

There's no evidence in that thread that it's going to be a Euro exclusive. Someone also said something about Shout Factory being behind it which makes it even more difficult to believe that it wouldn't be making its way out here. 

CBS seems to do a pretty good job for the most part and I'm sure we can look forward to further releases like more of Bonanza (Which last saw a release less than half a year ago). I just hope they restart and redo My Three Sons someday now that they've gotten rid of their heebie jeebies about some sound cues. 

I agree  that CBS has done a good job with most of it's TV releases . But I still hope we'll see more B&W in the future starting with One Step Beyond.

• Jack K likes this

#2045 of 2435 Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted March 16 2014 - 02:06 AM

So I'm considering all the other stuff they have there: overpriced box sets of different seasons of Combat, Rawhide and Perry Mason, and a few other goodies including The Fugitive, of which there's a Volume 1 set, used, for $7.97 and a complete box set of The Rat Patrol for $19.99. These are the ones I'm considering. So I do some research. I watch the very first episode of "The Rat Patrol" on YouTube, the first time I've seen an episode, and liked it enough to want to see more--on DVD. I still haven't seen an episode of "The Fugitive," but everything I read about that set on Amazon compels me to buy it. So I go back to FYE last night and what do I find?  They're both gone! Some like-minded soul beat me to it, the bastard! Was it one of YOU guys?!   :angry:

I was out boosting the local economy yesterday and decided to take a stroll into FYE, just on a whim, to see if they had any more used TV box sets I might want. And what did they have? The exact sets of "The Fugitive" and "The Rat Patrol" that went missing on the visit in January cited above.

So this time I got them. :)

Now I just need time to watch them.

• Randy Korstick likes this

#2046 of 2435 Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,554 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 05:35 AM

Even though it's not a b/w show, I thought I'd pass on the sad news that Bonanza has indeed been stalled out.  That's official from multiple sources, including a publication that some fans read so it's not a big secret at this point.  We'll get S7, but S8 (which had been set for a 4Q release) is now on the backburner with no release date.  The reason I mention that, in this thread, is because it's one more indicator that we really are seeing the final days of consistent vintage TV on DVD releases.  Note I said "consistent" releases.  That's key in my statement so that no one can run with it and say I'm predicting we'll see no more vintage releases in the future.  Of course we'll see some things here and there.  But the days of counting on regular releases of b/w and early color TV shows are quickly fading into the sunset.  A good friend of mine summed it up nicely to me in a PM.  I'm going to quote him this morning as I finish out this post:

"You & I have predicted for some time in various threads that vintage TV was dying, now it appears to have actually happened. One time I used to have to make a list of all the forthcoming releases & select which ones to get in order of affordability  & interest. No more. I could count on one hand the releases over the last six months or so that I will buy.

I despair of the optimists who counsel about patience & their 'everything will be released' thinking. They are due for major disappointment I fear.  I am even very sceptical of __________ despite their assurances they will be bringing out more of their 'classic' range. I don't think its going to happen any time soon."

It's a real shame that this day has finally arrived, but I think most of us knew it would happen eventually.  On the plus side, I've got a huge collection and I won't be hurting for things to watch for the rest of my life.  So it's not all sad news.  But the title of this thread is now absolutely reality whether, as my friend said, the optimists* want to believe it or not.

Gary "take care, folks - and enjoy your collections" O.

* 'The man who is a pessimist before 48 knows too much; if he is an optimist after it, he knows too little.' - Mark Twain  ;)

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#2047 of 2435 oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff

Second Unit

• 362 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 06:06 AM

But even today's TV shows will be relics 100 years from now. I Love Lucy will still be around, of course, it'll be prehistoric just like cavemen, cavewomen, and dinosaurs!

#2048 of 2435 Flashgear

Flashgear

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts
  • LocationAlberta Canada

Posted March 19 2014 - 06:34 AM

Sorry to hear that Bonanza has been stalled...I would still be glad to get season 7...Garry, is this a certainty that this will be released?

I'm sure glad that this didn't happen to Rawhide and that it is nearly complete now on DVD...

#2049 of 2435 GMBurns

GMBurns

Stunt Coordinator

• 105 posts
  • LocationPlainville, CT

Posted March 19 2014 - 06:34 AM

So sorry to hear about Bonanza. I am not a fan of the Cartwrights, but I am a fan of vintage tv, and the Pondarosa's loss is a loss for all of us. I know the disappointment of seeing a favorite show dumped on the scrap heap known as the CBS stalled list.

Gary, have you encountered any feedback on why CBS doesn't do more with their MOD program? Those of us who want our favorite shows would be happy to pay Warner Archive prices for some of those vintage shows CBS has stalled.
  • Ron1973 likes this

#2050 of 2435 JMas

JMas

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 06:35 AM

Even though it's not a b/w show, I thought I'd pass on the sad news that Bonanza has indeed been stalled out.  That's official from multiple sources, including a publication that some fans read so it's not a big secret at this point.  We'll get S7, but S8 (which had been set for a 4Q release) is now on the backburner with no release date.  The reason I mention that, in this thread, is because it's one more indicator that we really are seeing the final days of consistent vintage TV on DVD releases.  Note I said "consistent" releases.  That's key in my statement so that no one can run with it and say I'm predicting we'll see no more vintage releases in the future.  Of course we'll see some things here and there.  But the days of counting on regular releases of b/w and early color releases are quickly fading into the sunset.  A good friend of mine summed it up nicely to me in a PM.  I'm going to quote him this morning as I finish out this post:

"You & I have predicted for some time in various threads that vintage TV was dying, now it appears to have actually happened. One time I used to have to make a list of all the forthcoming releases & select which ones to get in order of affordability  & interest. No more. I could count on one hand the releases over the last six months or so that I will buy.

I despair of the optimists who counsel about patience & their 'everything will be released' thinking. They are due for major disappointment I fear.  I am even very sceptical of __________ despite their assurances they will be bringing out more of their 'classic' range. I don't think its going to happen any time soon."

It's a real shame that this day has finally arrived, but I think most of us knew it would happen eventually.  On the plus side, I've got a huge collection and I won't be hurting for things to watch for the rest of my life.  So it's not all sad news.  But the title of this thread is now absolutely reality whether, as my friend said, the optimists want to believe it or not.

Gary "take care, folks - and enjoy your collections" O.

Do you think Gunsmoke is in the same situation as Bonanza?  It's been quite a while since the last release (Season 9).

#2051 of 2435 Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,554 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 06:46 AM

Sorry to hear that Bonanza has been stalled...I would still be glad to get season 7...Garry, is this a certainty that this will be released?

I'm sure glad that this didn't happen to Rawhide and that it is nearly complete now on DVD...

I do believe S7 is a go no matter what.  I've heard nothing to the contrary.  It's S8 (and I'd assume anything beyond) that is now in jeopardy.   And I'm glad Rawhide made it through as well.

So sorry to hear about Bonanza. I am not a fan of the Cartwrights, but I am a fan of vintage tv, and the Pondarosa's loss is a loss for all of us. I know the disappointment of seeing a favorite show dumped on the scrap heap known as the CBS stalled list.

Gary, have you encountered any feedback on why CBS doesn't do more with their MOD program? Those of us who want our favorite shows would be happy to pay Warner Archive prices for some of those vintage shows CBS has stalled.

I'm sad for Bonanza as well, even though it wasn't a show I was collecting, for the same reasons as you've stated.  And unfortunately I don't know why CBS hasn't done more with MOD.  Sorry.

Do you think Gunsmoke is in the same situation as Bonanza?  It's been quite a while since the last release (Season 9).

As far as I know it's not in danger at the moment.  But that doesn't mean we can necessarily count on seeing 20+ seasons of it released either. 

Gary "hope everyone has a good day" O.

#2052 of 2435 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,883 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 07:13 AM

I'm neither an optimist nor a pessimist.  I'm a worrier.  Nevertheless, I am continually pleased to hear about new releases of old shows that I have wanted.  I doubt that everything will be released, but every indication to me is that the old tv shows on dvd party will continue for several more years.

• Randy Korstick likes this

#2053 of 2435 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,386 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 07:36 AM

Since they already spent the money to remaster Bonanza Season 8 I'm sure we will se it released as well just later than the original 4th Quarter 2014 plan. I wouldn't at all be suprised to see Paramount go all Mod with their TV shows starting next year and if so Bonanza would likely be picked up again as a Mod title.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#2054 of 2435 smithbrad

smithbrad

Supporting Actor

• 514 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 08:04 AM

Since they already spent the money to remaster Bonanza Season 8 I'm sure we will se it released as well just later than the original 4th Quarter 2014 plan. I wouldn't at all be suprised to see Paramount go all Mod with their TV shows starting next year and if so Bonanza would likely be picked up again as a Mod title.

Unless your information is more definitive, the CBS Syndication Bible only states "season 8 in progress" of remastering. So a lot is dependent on how far along they were before coming to this decision. Season 7 appears to be fully remastered, which is why it would seem likely to still make a release this year.

I was really hoping to get through season 11 since I remember "Candy" being part of the regular cast. Also, it would have been nice to see the many episodes from the later years that weren't syndicated.

• Professor Echo likes this

#2055 of 2435 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,386 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 08:29 AM

No definitive information on Season 8, from Gary's info it sounded like it was ready to go since they usually remaster these way ahead of release. If the syndication bible says in progress then I'm sure thats correct, but the fact that it was started would make me think they would want some sort of return on the investment even if it ends up as a mod release.

Unless your information is more definitive, the CBS Syndication Bible only states "season 8 in progress" of remastering. So a lot is dependent on how far along they were before coming to this decision. Season 7 appears to be fully remastered, which is why it would seem likely to still make a release this year.

I was really hoping to get through season 11 since I remember "Candy" being part of the regular cast. Also, it would have been nice to see the many episodes from the later years that weren't syndicated.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#2056 of 2435 Jack P

Jack P

Screenwriter

• 2,993 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 09:09 AM

Remastering is not a guarantee of release.   CBS has sat on four remastered seasons of "The Love Boat" for  several years now and that remains stalled out at two seasons.    Bonanza getting to halfway through the run in less time is all things considered an impressive achievement.

"Gunsmoke" is at the limit of how far I'd want to go in the run anyway so I can live with no more of that.    I'm still not happy they didn't resume "Barnaby Jones" as well as "Love Boat" and "One Step Beyond" and their refusal to fix "The Odd Couple" will always rankle.     It's possible that we might see more titles licensed out as "Mod Squad" was but the one thing to remember is that any title CBS licenses out will not be remastered to the standards we've been accustomed to seeing from their own releases.   I've sampled a few of the later "Mod Squad" episodes and the difference is like night and day with Seasons 1 and 2.

I'm assuming your good friend was referring to Warner Archive in that blank spot.    I have to say, I don't see any reason to put them in the same slowdown category at this point.     They have continued to research and work on what clearance issues are there for other B/W titles, and they have also to their credit  not stalled a single title they started.    Had "The FBI" been a QM series under CBS's control, I don't think I would ever have had any hope of seeing it get to halfway through its run, let alone the finish which it will reach by year's end.

I do agree we are pretty much at a point where all of us should take comfort and pride in what has been released and think more of enjoying what we have than gnashing our teeth over what we don't have.    I'm getting three of my four major Grail titles unstalled/finished this year alone.

• Jack K likes this

#2057 of 2435 Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,554 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 09:26 AM

I'm neither an optimist nor a pessimist.  I'm a worrier.  Nevertheless, I am continually pleased to hear about new releases of old shows that I have wanted.  I doubt that everything will be released, but every indication to me is that the old tv shows on dvd party will continue for several more years.

Ray, I certainly hope you are right and I'm wrong.  But the evidence I see leads me to the opposite conclusion.  Either way I'm winding down since I've got most of my grail shows.  There's a lot of b/w material I'd still love to see released, but as far as the 70's and beyond goes, I'm fine with what I've got right now. 

Gary "there are still some wonderful b/w series that I'd buy if released, but I'm confident at this point that I'll never see 95% of them" O.

• Professor Echo likes this

#2058 of 2435 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,883 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 09:49 AM

We still don't have:

The Defenders

The Nurses

East Side, West Side

Adventures in Paradise

Our Miss Brooks

December Bride

Mr. Novak

The Rouges

Hennessey

Ben Casey

The Thin Man

77 Sunset Strip and the other Warner Bros. detective shows circa 1960

The Eleventh Hour

Bachelor Father

Pete & Gladys

As you can see, there are still a lot of B/W titles which have yet to make it to DVD/Blu-ray.

• LouA likes this
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#2059 of 2435 Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,554 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 09:57 AM

POPULAR

As you can see, there are still a lot of B/W titles which have yet to make it to DVD/Blu-ray.

And just to set the record straight, your list is only a small sampling of b/w material that's yet to be released.  There are literally dozens and dozens of titles from that era that haven't seen the light of day.

Gary "just saying" O.

P.S.  As an aside, I only put that Mark Twain quote in my post above because I just passed that benchmark age. 

• Steve...O, Professor Echo and LouA like this

#2060 of 2435 phenri

phenri

Stunt Coordinator

• 109 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 11:59 AM

Since Bonanza is one of the most popular westerns of all time, there may be a chance that Shout/Timeless or some other studio can continue the releases, if CBS will license it out. If future releases will not be remastered to CBS standards, I'm okay with that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users