Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Eight Is Enough Is Finally Happening

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#81 of 103 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,394 posts

Posted December 06 2012 - 03:57 PM

They just don't want to sell tv dvds in stores anymore. The stores dont want'em anyway. This is the new normal... offering classic shows directly to the consumer via the Archives. This move probably ensures that the rest of the series will make it to dvd...you just won't find it in stores.

#82 of 103 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,249 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted December 08 2012 - 12:07 AM

They just don't want to sell tv dvds in stores anymore. The stores dont want'em anyway. This is the new normal... offering classic shows directly to the consumer via the Archives. This move probably ensures that the rest of the series will make it to dvd...you just won't find it in stores.

Yeah, the direct to consumer MoD thing seems to be the vehicle for getting shows out quicker, and to get more obscure shows released. Or, to put it another way, I have more faith that a show like Night Court will be finished off in 2013 than I would have if it were still being released to retail stores.

#83 of 103 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,143 posts

Posted December 08 2012 - 02:16 AM

What stores? Tower closed, as have many others. Retail for DVD is either dead or will be shortly.

#84 of 103 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted December 08 2012 - 04:59 AM

Ok, but what about the 'impulse buyers' that the studios seem to find so important? You know, the casual customers. Are they finally giving up on that for a more direct approach to the shows fans? If so, then yes I can see where MOD might be a better direction for things to go.

#85 of 103 OFFLINE   Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted December 08 2012 - 09:39 AM

I got the second season in the mail today. I bought it during the Cyber Monday 25% off sale. The discs are pressed, so I'm happy about that.

I'm glad Warner Archive is offering pressed discs, but I don't understand the reasoning behind it because its a MOD?

Is it cheaper for them to do pressed discs or DVD-Rs?

"Congratulations. You're still in the running towards becoming America's Next Top Model."

#86 of 103 OFFLINE   derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 766 posts

Posted December 09 2012 - 05:18 AM

I'm glad Warner Archive is offering pressed discs, but I don't understand the reasoning behind it because its a MOD? Is it cheaper for them to do pressed discs or DVD-Rs?

I think it depends how many copies they think they can sell. If Warner is confident enough that demand for the show is going to reach a certain point, it makes sense to just go ahead and press a run of discs, and have them ready to ship when the release date arrives. If that number is too small, I guess it makes sense to just burn the discs on demand.

#87 of 103 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted December 10 2012 - 08:35 AM

Amazon has season 2 available, but the pricing is still way out to lunch as the overwhelmingly negative reviews point out.

#88 of 103 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,363 posts

Posted December 10 2012 - 09:44 AM

I am not going to pay $29.99 for half season of eight is enough. I will wait it out until the price drops to an affordable level.

#89 of 103 OFFLINE   Clyde's Place

Clyde's Place

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted December 10 2012 - 03:36 PM

You can now buy the complete season, combined Parts One and Two, at the Warner Archived store for the discounted price of $49.95. Not great but better.

#90 of 103 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted December 10 2012 - 04:12 PM

Well, I have finished watching season 2 part one and overall everything seemed fine. There are a couple of instances on about three episodes where there are noticeable flaws in the source material. This is possible due to age. I don't really know. Also, the two two part episodes (Children Of The Groom and Yes Nicholas, There Is A Santa Clause) use the syndicated shortened version of the opening credits. This is especially noticeable on Children of the Groom. When the ending credits roll at the end of both parts, an 'also starring or featuring Betty Buckley' credit appears. Odd considering that she was already featured in the opening credits. So, it is very clear that the incorrect opening credits were used for this epidode. Also troublesome is the use of the two part version of Yes Nicholas, There Is A Santa Clause. When this episode originally aired it aired as a two hour special episode. I know because I watched it when it first aired lo those many years ago. I'm not sure about Children Of The Groom, but I suspect that it also aired as a two hour speical. Now I do not know if anything has been edited out of these episodes. Both parts ran about 47 minutes each plus a few seconds. The rest of the episodes run from 49-50 minutes each plus a few seconds. Anyway, I didn't notice any quick edits or plot points mentioned that weren't in the episodes so I can't say for certain if these two part episodes are 100% complete or not. Other than the obvious syndicated opening credits. The second parts do contain brief recaps of part one. I believe that part one of Children Of The Groom doesn't have a cold opening but starts with just the opening credits. So, if there was a cold opening to this episode, then it is missing. Anyway, I just thought that this should be mentioned for anyone wanting to purchase the set. I haven't started the second half of the season yet so I can't report on anything odd in those episodes at this time.

#91 of 103 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted December 10 2012 - 06:19 PM

I am not going to pay $29.99 for half season of eight is enough. I will wait it out until the price drops to an affordable level.

You can now buy the complete season, combined Parts One and Two, at the Warner Archived store for the discounted price of $49.95. Not great but better.

I wasn't going to spring for this one either at that price but the bundle price is getting close to my pricepoint and is better than some of the WBA volume sets as Joe mentioned. Mine's coming on the 24th http://www.hometheat...e/61/id/171762/ Brian, http://www.hometheat...e/61/id/171763/ for the detailed info on the set.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#92 of 103 OFFLINE   Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight

Second Unit

• 479 posts

Posted December 10 2012 - 08:29 PM

Amazon has season 2 available, but the pricing is still way out to lunch as the overwhelmingly negative reviews point out.

This isn't listed on amazon.ca. Will Amazon ship this to Canada?

#93 of 103 OFFLINE   derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 766 posts

Posted December 11 2012 - 02:08 AM

This isn't listed on amazon.ca. Will Amazon ship this to Canada?

yes, i order from Amazon.com site from the US to Canada, but i often check deepdisount.com first, they often have lower prices, and lower shipping rates. the shipping is never free to Canada.

#94 of 103 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted March 03 2013 - 03:48 AM

Is there any point buying into this series now? The first season is down to $13.49, but at the season two pricing, I can't see Warner rushing to release any more, so it's likely I'll wind up with only the first season.

#95 of 103 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,363 posts

Posted March 03 2013 - 04:33 AM

Well, I have finished watching season 2 part one and overall everything seemed fine. There are a couple of instances on about three episodes where there are noticeable flaws in the source material. This is possible due to age. I don't really know. Also, the two two part episodes (Children Of The Groom and Yes Nicholas, There Is A Santa Clause) use the syndicated shortened version of the opening credits. This is especially noticeable on Children of the Groom. When the ending credits roll at the end of both parts, an 'also starring or featuring Betty Buckley' credit appears. Odd considering that she was already featured in the opening credits. So, it is very clear that the incorrect opening credits were used for this epidode. Also troublesome is the use of the two part version of Yes Nicholas, There Is A Santa Clause. When this episode originally aired it aired as a two hour special episode. I know because I watched it when it first aired lo those many years ago. I'm not sure about Children Of The Groom, but I suspect that it also aired as a two hour speical. Now I do not know if anything has been edited out of these episodes. Both parts ran about 47 minutes each plus a few seconds. The rest of the episodes run from 49-50 minutes each plus a few seconds. Anyway, I didn't notice any quick edits or plot points mentioned that weren't in the episodes so I can't say for certain if these two part episodes are 100% complete or not. Other than the obvious syndicated opening credits. The second parts do contain brief recaps of part one. I believe that part one of Children Of The Groom doesn't have a cold opening but starts with just the opening credits. So, if there was a cold opening to this episode, then it is missing. Anyway, I just thought that this should be mentioned for anyone wanting to purchase the set. I haven't started the second half of the season yet so I can't report on anything odd in those episodes at this time.

I am interested in Eight is Enough, but not at the price they want for two split dvds. I would not spend more then $25 for the split season. The pricing is getting ridiculous for new releases. I seen Family ties going for 36-40 range, which i am not prepared to pay.

#96 of 103 OFFLINE   Clyde's Place

Clyde's Place

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted April 30 2013 - 04:39 PM

Season three of Eight is Enough is now available for $49.95 at Warner Archive.  I just bought Season Two last week during a "sale."  Guess I'll wait for another sale!  No Part One and Part Two listed.  Just the two sets together.

#97 of 103 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 09:31 AM

I bit the bullet and bought season 3. I'm pretty much in this one until the end. While I did stop watching the series after this season (during it's original run), I am looking forward to seeing the final two seasons. I hope this one continues to sell well enough to get the final two seasons.

#98 of 103 OFFLINE   DaveHof2

DaveHof2

Stunt Coordinator

• 162 posts

Posted May 02 2013 - 09:13 PM

I'm in too even at the full price. This show has been an absolute joy to rediscover.

#99 of 103 OFFLINE   lakesgirl

lakesgirl

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted April 02 2014 - 01:46 PM

I purchased season 4 and season 5 of Eight is Enough.  I really liked season 4.  Season 5 was hit and miss.  I liked the first few episodes and then got a little bored. The kids got older and lost some of their charm.  Plus, now they were sharing the screen with Merle, Janet and Jeremy.  There were just too many people! But it was still worth the purchase for me.  Great family show.  I'm glad all the seasons are on DVD. 

• derosa likes this

#100 of 103 OFFLINE   Hasslein

Hasslein

Stunt Coordinator

• 180 posts

Posted April 03 2014 - 12:20 AM

I wonder if they'll release the two reunion films. I've never seen those.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users