Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

MGM Press Release: BOND 50 (Blu-ray)

MGM Fox

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1636 replies to this topic

#1501 of 1637 Mikey1969

Mikey1969

Stunt Coordinator

• 75 posts

Posted March 14 2013 - 09:32 AM

I'm sure we'll see one eventually. EON seems eager to distance themselves from Quantum; despite its' financial success it left a bad taste in many peoples mouths.

#1502 of 1637 Mikey1969

Mikey1969

Stunt Coordinator

• 75 posts

Posted March 14 2013 - 09:48 AM

I have the Never Say Never Again Blu-ray and, despite the many shortcomings of the film itself, cherish it for the honesty of the supplements. Director Irvin Kershner was pretty forthright in discussing the production problems and the shortcomings of the final film. Compare this to the EON films which are (for me) unwatchably bland and shy away from any real controversy. The old Criterion laserdiscs of Dr. No, From Russia With Love and Goldfinger were one of the only times the filmmakers were able to speak openly about the films before EON demanded they be cancelled.

#1503 of 1637 Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 828 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted March 15 2013 - 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Cashill 

The UK is getting a region-free NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN in April, but it will be missing the horse fall scene, which was cut for that country.

This might not be answered untill after the move but I looked at my old DVD of NEVER <nd a horse jumped with Bond on his back, high up into the water. I assume that this is what is cut in the UK. I assume that a second or two will be cut showing Bond falling into the water. Has anyone seen the UK version (more likely the DVD version). I don't see why it was needed for a horse jumping off- just Bond jumping off. I don't think that a falling horse adds anything.

#1504 of 1637 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 3,845 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted April 02 2013 - 07:41 AM

Conflicting info from the BBFC website.

http://bbfc.co.uk/re...y-never-again-1

The above says classified uncut this year but below it says a cut required due to cruel treatment of a horse and laws in the UK prohibit this.  I guess it could be that the version classified this year pre-cut that scene and thus it shows as uncut simply because the BBFC didn't cut anything, the distributor did.

http://bbfc.co.uk/re...ever-again-2001

Edited by FoxyMulder, April 02 2013 - 07:42 AM.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#1505 of 1637 Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 828 posts

Posted May 12 2013 - 05:12 AM

I did get the region free BR from England and the horse jump in NOT cut! Perhaps the actual fall was not with a real horse??? It does show the horse hitting the water. I have both the DVD bought in Germany and the BR version bought from Amazon-UK and the pictures are the same.

Edited by Sumnernor, May 12 2013 - 06:08 AM.

#1506 of 1637 Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 793 posts

Posted May 12 2013 - 05:43 AM

I received Skyfall for birthday and having watched it I can now say what I've said before regarding the reboot of Bond: Nope, the new concept doesn't work. Skyfall is a good action flick, but it's not a Bond film. Except for the DB5 sequence late in the film, there's no fun at all in it (and note that the iconic car was completely destroyed, making emphatic that the past is discarded).

As for Daniel Craig, talk about dour! He makes Timothy Dalton look like Roger Moore, and the new look Bond makes License to Kill look like Moonraker.

Feh!

• Joe Bernardi and WadeM like this

#1507 of 1637 David Steigman

David Steigman

Second Unit

• 299 posts

Posted May 12 2013 - 05:55 AM

Did anyone who owns the US Bond 50th set have any playback issues with any of the discs...I had a weird experience with mine. One of the Bond discs I think the last of the Roger Moore ones said I needed a firmware upgrade in order to play it, which I did - then from that movie on to the Brosnon era it seems like after 90 minutes or so the movies audio craps out , and things start to move slowly or choppy...

This I think is a player issue but was wondering if anyone else had any issues .... 

#1508 of 1637 Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 828 posts

Posted May 12 2013 - 06:11 AM

I have the UK region free version and had no problems. I have just gone thru all the Bond BRs and found no problems.

#1509 of 1637 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,571 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 12 2013 - 12:31 PM

Did anyone who owns the US Bond 50th set have any playback issues with any of the discs...I had a weird experience with mine. One of the Bond discs I think the last of the Roger Moore ones said I needed a firmware upgrade in order to play it, which I did - then from that movie on to the Brosnon era it seems like after 90 minutes or so the movies audio craps out , and things start to move slowly or choppy...

This I think is a player issue but was wondering if anyone else had any issues .... 

I reviewed A View to a Kill (the last Moore Bond) in my review of the set and had no problems with it. I used the Panasonic 310 Blu-ray player for the review.

#1510 of 1637 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,720 posts

Posted May 13 2013 - 06:55 AM

Did anyone who owns the US Bond 50th set have any playback issues with any of the discs.. 

No problems with any discs in the US edition, although I have not made it through all the bonus material. I did, however, watch all the films.

#1511 of 1637 David Steigman

David Steigman

Second Unit

• 299 posts

Posted May 13 2013 - 12:00 PM

What happens is the audio drops out goes mute...it lasts for a few seconds, but if it goes longer the characters move funky...then the sound comes back, and then it craps out again...After the audio goes mute the first time it keeps going on and off until the movie ends.

This is a player issue (Samsung BD5300) and they have no answers for it.

#1512 of 1637 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,045 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted May 24 2013 - 06:38 AM

After all of these months, I need to ask a silly question -- silly, because it's probably been addressed many times over in this or some other Bond 50 thread, but I can't face the prospect of searching for it.  Maybe it's a simple yes/no answer, or perhaps someone can point to where I can find the details:

What, if anything, was dropped from the Ultimate Bond DVD sets?

I can't imagine returning to watching any of the films on DVD (unlike with a few films in the Hitchcock set).  But I've stubbornly held on to my copies, and after all of this time, I no longer remember if there was a specific reason for doing so, other than the sentimental factor of not being willing to let go of such a beautifully produced set so easily.  But time marches on, and one must ask whether something "obsolete" is worth the shelf space -- so I'm wondering now if I can suck it up and let them go.

After some consideration, I did exactly that with the Twilight Zone sets, even though a number of little things got dropped in the move to Blu-ray.  In that case, I did the homework and found the Blu's contents entirely satisfactory, so I bought the standalone copy of the missing Serling documentary, let it all go, and never looked back.

Is there any similar issue here?  I don't hesitate to keep more than one release of something when warranted.  But now I just don't remember if anyone had made a case for something or other actually being better or more complete in the Ultimate sets, which are the only Bond DVDs I have.  Thanks!

#1513 of 1637 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,571 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 24 2013 - 08:06 AM

In the review of the BOND 50 box, I detailed in the bonus features what exactly was included on the enclosed discs with the previously unreleased on Blu-ray 9 Bonds (Reviews by other staff members will do similarly with the other already released discs). With the Ultimate Editions by your side, you can do a comparison and see what was there and not there. As I recall (and this was back in September of last year), most everything was ported over apart from some picture galleries, but you can do a more thorough comparison if you want to take a little time.

I know for myself, I've given all of my Ultimate Editions away and have only the Blus now.

#1514 of 1637 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,045 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted May 24 2013 - 08:17 AM

I should have gone to the reviews!  Thanks, Matt.  I'll check those, but it sounds like I will be making that same decision.

#1515 of 1637 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 3,845 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted May 24 2013 - 09:18 AM

What, if anything, was dropped from the Ultimate Bond DVD sets?

Quality control. 

Sorry, i couldn't resist.  :D

• Will*B likes this

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#1516 of 1637 Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 1,805 posts

Posted July 02 2013 - 06:03 AM

In the review of the BOND 50 box, I detailed in the bonus features what exactly was included on the enclosed discs with the previously unreleased on Blu-ray 9 Bonds (Reviews by other staff members will do similarly with the other already released discs). With the Ultimate Editions by your side, you can do a comparison and see what was there and not there. As I recall (and this was back in September of last year), most everything was ported over apart from some picture galleries, but you can do a more thorough comparison if you want to take a little time.

I know for myself, I've given all of my Ultimate Editions away and have only the Blus now.

I sold my UE DVD box sets as well. I thought of hanging on to them, but the blu ray set has everything that was included on those. In addition, some of the UE DVD's dropped the original audio mixes due to capacity. So again, the blu ray sets have all of the original audio mixes plus the new DTS HD MA mixes. 

I am really enjoying the set overall too. 

#1517 of 1637 Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 828 posts

Posted July 02 2013 - 08:18 AM

Generally speaking,  I would wait (perhaps 6 months) before selling one's older DVDs.

I believe most of the USA Bonds as opposed to the Amazon-UK have the originally audio which is not the case with the UK versions.

#1518 of 1637 Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 1,805 posts

Posted July 07 2013 - 07:05 AM

Generally speaking,  I would wait (perhaps 6 months) before selling one's older DVDs.

I believe most of the USA Bonds as opposed to the Amazon-UK have the originally audio which is not the case with the UK versions.

For the audio are you referring to the blu ray set? I believe I recall reading that the UK Bond 50 set had dropped the original audio mixes as well.

#1519 of 1637 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 3,845 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 07 2013 - 07:27 AM

For the audio are you referring to the blu ray set? I believe I recall reading that the UK Bond 50 set had dropped the original audio mixes as well.

I look forward to the 60th anniversary ( or 55th ) and 4K editions done right.

Edited by FoxyMulder, July 07 2013 - 07:29 AM.

#1520 of 1637 Jason Adams

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor

• 630 posts

Posted July 09 2013 - 09:25 PM

Now one thing I always thought was glaring, was on the Ultimate DVD's, Thunderball has a wrong version of a music cue, right when Bond and Domino meet underwater, which was corrected on the Blu-ray.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MGM, Fox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users