Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: Camelot 45th Anniversary Blu-ray Book

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#21 of 35 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,621 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 14 2012 - 12:24 AM

Franco Nero was definitely not (and never was) a box-office draw in America. He's gorgeous, and I'm assuming Joshua Logan was using that as the primary consideration for casting Lancelot. They hired Gene Merlino to dub Franco's singing voice, but he's a lightweight compared to Goulet's singing voice.

#22 of 35 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts

Posted January 14 2012 - 02:59 AM

Dear Greg. Love you dearly, but that is a fallicy. Camelot is the film I have seen more times in a theater than any other. Saw it much times during roadshow and NEVER did the theater have a popster of bob Peak art anywhere. . Not ever.

#23 of 35 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted January 14 2012 - 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Caps 

Dear Greg. Love you dearly, but that is a fallicy.

Camelot is the film I have seen more times in a theater than any other. Saw it much times during roadshow and NEVER did the theater have a popster of
bob Peak art anywhere. . Not ever.

Joe, you may be right, I wasn't only 3 when the film opened, and I do know you have seen this film in a theater more than anyone else I know.

I have one sheets that say "Enter a new world of entertainment" (Was this from the Roadshow?) I also one sheets from the 1973 re-release - the poster is the same except it says "Re-Enter a new world of Entertainment"

I also have the general release posters which have the small tinted photos.

The DVD has a doc on the premiere which may show a poster but may not.

But I did not see the film in 1967.

When I saw the film in 1978 at the Warner, the theater used a lot of the same lobby displays they used in 1967 (It opened at the same theater)

I do remember the restrooms had engraved glass bars which read "Kings" "Queens"

I thought that was cool - but I was 14

I also remember when Arthur arives at the castle the horse Redgrave was riding had a double image effect due to the curved screen the RKO Warner had at the time.

They did run the film with the intermission

Finian's Rainbow also opened at the Warner and they used the displays as for it's 78 run

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

#24 of 35 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,857 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted January 14 2012 - 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by MattH. 

Franco Nero was definitely not (and never was) a box-office draw in America. He's gorgeous, and I'm assuming Joshua Logan was using that as the primary consideration for casting Lancelot. They hired Gene Merlino to dub Franco's singing voice, but he's a lightweight compared to Goulet's singing voice.

In Joshua Logan's autobiography he and Alan J. Lerner did not get along starting with this film and a lot of cast choices were Lerner's and Jack Warner.  While Logan does not excuse himself from some of the problems that are in the film, he is pretty blatant that he was over ruled on a lot of decisions.  What is even more outstanding is that Logan went on and could not give a reason to himself why he ever agreed to direct Paint Your Wagon with Lerner producing.  He said his problems that started with Camelot were only worse with Wagon and it seemed that Lerner only wanted him to direct Wagon to make his life miserable.

But I do believe that Logan was a much better stage director than a film director and he does seem to blame many problems on someone else including the color changes in South Pacific.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#25 of 35 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted January 14 2012 - 05:21 AM

Logan has directed some really good films (I love "Fanny") but Logan was the "Director" in the 50's and 6o's and most of those dricetors did not have the pull directors like Spieberg and Sorcesse had in the 70's.  Logan was called in to fix "Mister Roberts" and "Picnic" is fine - but the casting wasn't up to Logan - Columbia wanted the older William Holden.

"South Pacific" is a fine film, it was the top earner in 1958 so that says something - but times have changed since 1958 - and the color filter topic has become a bore.  Lerner was completely at fault for the failure of "Paint Your Wagon" (Logan was going to be replaced during filming - yet the actors give entertaining performances - the script and the singing were the problems with PYW

One must remember neither Richard Burton or Julie Andrews were interested in doing the film of "Camelot" (Other wise they would have been cast since they were among the top grossing film actors of the 60's).  Robert Goulet was never a screen presence and stuck with Broadway and touring compaines

Jack Warner may have cast Richard Harris, but Logan brought Redgrave and Nero ...who else could have played these roles around 1966 when filming began?

#26 of 35 OFFLINE   rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 860 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted January 14 2012 - 08:38 AM

Picnic is a great film and is coming 1/17 to Blu-ray through Screen Archives; Logan directed. Do yourself and favor and order this one (assuming Sony's mastering is good which I understand that it is.) Yes, William Holden is old for the part, but the role does have a certain "dissipated youth" quality which he projects very well. The ensemble cast is terrific (KIm Novak, Rosalind Russell, Cliff Robertson, Susan Strasberg, Arthur O'Connell, many other great stars). One of my favorite films. South Pacific is one of my all-time favorites, holds up very well, and is amazing on Blu-ray (filmed in Todd-AO 70mm). The color effects come through very well on film or Blu-ray on a good system, not so well on older video technologies. Logan did a great job of preserving the original play (which he directed on Broadway) and still opening it up with the Kauai locations. This is a problem that has vexed many stage productions, and it is handled masterfully here. All original songs are included, with one added that had been cut from the Broadway version. Mitzi Gaynor and France Nuyen are wonderful, still in love with them both. Paint Your Wagon is deeply under-appreciated I think. Hoping for it on Blu-ray. Camelot is a mess, but IMHO the original play is a mess too; great music and lyrics, bad book. The movie fails to have any magic, the sets and costumes are terrible (but won Oscars). If I buy it it will be because I am a sucker for Blu-ray catalog. Fanny is a very nice film but unhappily does not use the Broadway score. The music is used as the underscore in the film. Great location photography, great story, good acting. I saw it recently and it holds up. Would be nice on Blu-ray.

#27 of 35 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted January 14 2012 - 09:53 AM

Some of the problems with many of the Broadway film adaptions filmed up to the mid 60's has been the "chorus"

On stage the "chorus" backed up the singers and usually stood in a line and spoke a few lines of dialog.

On film it looks un-natural to have a bunch of guys standing around waiting to sing behind the star

"South Pacific" is a good example. The "chorus" before "Nothing Like  Dame" is just there.  Men are just standing in formation until the song starts ("Annie Get Your Gun" is another example when Howard Keel sings  "My Defenses are Down") this doesn't happen in non musical films

Logan did a great job of eliminating the chorus in "Camelot" and "Paint Your Wagon" where the chorus can be heard as back up even though they are not present in any scenes.

I like the sets and costumes in "Camelot" which was the first film to present King Arthur without the red and green tights that Errol Flynn wore in "The Adventures of Robin Hood" and featured in many other med-evil films (though some of "Camelot's" costumes look they came out of 1966's mod era)

#28 of 35 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts

Posted January 14 2012 - 01:06 PM

Being a huge fan of camelot, went through all of the procudtion files on the film at USC. Logan cast Richard Harris. Logan did not want Julie Andrews, who he thought tooprim and proper and could not 9imagine anyone fighting a kingdom for her. Lerner rewrote the script forthe film. He thought a problem with the play wis that Act one was too lighthearted and act two too much of a quick downer. that why he strted the film as a flashback. the audience would then know that something bad had already taken place. South Pacific - Logan wanted the color filters, but the tests that were made were a subtle, very light color shift. When Logna left the film during post production, Fox pumped up the color very hgh on the color changes. Not logans fault. Paint Your wagon - doesnt really ues the broadway score or story. Did Paddy Chaefsky really write this? did he need the cash. The new songs by Previn are really terrible. I think the film is a piece of junk.

#29 of 35 ONLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,411 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted January 15 2012 - 02:49 AM

So they hire an actor who can't sing and dub in an inadequate voice? Then hire an actress who can't sing and don't dub her at all. Hollywood logic I guess.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#30 of 35 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted January 15 2012 - 03:52 AM

Gene Merlino did a lot of studio work in Hollywood (I believe he is listed on the "Grease" soundtrack also)

I would hardly call Gene Merlino's voice inadequate

Franco Nero played opposite Richard Harris in "The Bible" (Caine and Able) I think it was Harris who recommended Nero to Logan and the rest....

Logan's daughter saw Redgrave in a film and recommended her to Logan, Redgrave had just done "Blow Up" and was among the new up and coming Hollywood stars

Who would you have cast? Ann-Margret? She could have been very believe able as the sexy queen - though she wouldn't have paired well against Harris and "Camelot was a "Tall" picture Harris, Redgrave, Nero all 6 foot or over, unlike a "short" picture ("Tom Cruise films" where most actor can not be over 5'8") and Ann-Margret was only not very tall, most other star actresses of the 60's couldn't sing either

#31 of 35 ONLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,411 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted January 15 2012 - 04:32 AM

The dubbed in voice of Lancelot was disappointing for me. Merlino may have been a fine singer, but his voice wasn't right for that role, IMHO. Nor am I saying that Redgrave isn't a good actress, but why didn't they go the My Fair Lady route and dub her? I would not have cast Margret. Keep them both but dub in voices appropriate to the parts. Those two roles required better voices than what was supplied. But, that's just my opinion.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#32 of 35 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted January 15 2012 - 07:17 AM

You are right - Redgrave's voice was weak

I think Jack Warner was afraid to dub Redgrave after the "My Fair Lady" incident

Nero wasn't known so it wasn't really a problem

Julie would have done the film if Burton agreed, but Burton only wanted to make films with Liz at the time.  Jack did ask them both before anyone else (He bought the property For Burton in 1961)them

#33 of 35 OFFLINE   jseabough

jseabough

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted January 15 2012 - 09:17 AM

Actually the iconic Peak illustrations were used for the New York roadshow at the Warner Theatre. I was in New York on vacation with my parents the week the movie opened. On footage of the opening night ( current CAMELOT DVD issue), the Peak illustration is shown as guests arrive for the premiere. There was also an enormous billboard a few blocks north that took up one corner of a building in the heart of Times Square. On the other side was 20th century Fox's billboard for their Christmas release, VALLEY OF THE DOLLS. . The next summer, CAMELOT opened in a hard ticket. reserved seat engagement in my hometown Springfield, Mo (alas no blow up 70MM just 35 MM) and the poster art was the Peak illustration. Thanks to the person who posted the full page NY Times mail order ad. I remember saving that ad from the Sunday Times. That was the only time I recall seeing that particular ad for this movie during the road show engagement. Wonder if it was used for Los Angeles? very excited about the blu ray news. Have always loved this movie, warts and all.

#34 of 35 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts

Posted January 16 2012 - 02:59 AM

All kindsof strange info here. Many dubbers were tested for Nero and Merlino was chosen because his singing voice sounded enough like Neros speaking voice. Dubbing was mostly not considered for the leads as the vocals were to be recorded live - not prerecorded. Alfred Newman and Ken darby said this would be nearly impossible, especiallly as the leads were really no singers. It didn't qjuite qork out that way. Harris and Redgrave were brought nto the studio, to give the best inflections and interpretations for each song, with a piano recorded on another track. Once both got the interpretations they thought best, their vocals were thrown away and only the piano track was kept. this track was to used during filming with the vocalists, singing live to the recorded piano that had been used for their vocals. this would have been tough to do at any time. Franco Nero was dubbed but he only had two songs - Cest Moi and If Ever I Would Leave You. So filming starts and these folks can not sing very well to this piano only track. Sop they shot the songs ni small segments, knowing that they would have to post dub all vocals, once back at the studio. Indeed, all of the vocals were dubbed onto the piano track to match the fiml, months later. THEN, Alfred Newman had to match his orchestra to the vocal tracks. Changes were made along the way. Originally , the song, I loved you once in Silence was to be sung only by Redgrave, Gene Merlino came in to lay in just the Nero tracks for the song months later. When filming this, Redgrave sang live and Nero lip synched !!! Anyway, alfred Newman and Ken Darby worked for months and months while Alfred had to write the background score - they got an Academy award for it. Lets hope Warner vid doesn't screw up this soundtrack again !!!!

#35 of 35 OFFLINE   john a hunter

john a hunter

Supporting Actor

• 647 posts

Posted January 16 2012 - 08:54 AM

The Peak art was used for the UK roadshow release but dropped from the general release. That along with a few songs!